Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SDCE > more problems!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SDCE > more problems!!!!!!!

Finally got to test drive my car and guess what... Another belt is toast! Back to the drawing board!

Last edited by 2000silverbullet; 10-23-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Well here are some pics of how it is set up. The only thing I can see that might be a problem is the 90mm pulley looks like it needs to be closer to the crank pulley. The belt is slipping from under the 90 mm pulley towards the motor. Has anyone shimmed the 90mm pulley? Has anyone used less the 2 .125 shimms between the off set? Something must be way off!
Attached Thumbnails SDCE > more problems!!!!!!!-90mm-crank.jpg   SDCE > more problems!!!!!!!-belt-shred.jpg   SDCE > more problems!!!!!!!-blower-90mm.jpg   SDCE > more problems!!!!!!!-close-up.jpg   SDCE > more problems!!!!!!!-close-up-blower-90mm.jpg  

Old 10-23-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

From the looks of it, it doesn't look like the blower pulley is in line with the crank pulley......

I'm still trying to get mine "perfect", one of the standoffs I realized is missing a small washer
Old 10-23-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Yep what BigBos said ... we got mine lined up perfectly .. every rib on the crank pulley should line up with the same rib on the blower pulley. Also it looks like your blower pulley is pretty close to the bracket ... almost looks like it is touching it (maybe it's the picture).
Old 10-23-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have almost resolved a similar issue on my C5 Vortech.

Tell us more about the 90mm pulley. Is that a smooth idler? Is it on the tensioner? Is it a sprung tensioner?

A Gates Laser Alignment tool would help you make sure everything is aligned. A sprung tensioner needs a stronger look due to it's movement and effect on everything else.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From the picture's it doesn't even look lined up right.The blower looks too far out and the blower should also be at a slight angle so under load it pulls straight(lined up).
Old 10-23-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

The pictures are very hard to read! If I'm holding the camera even at a slight angle it will look like all is either perfect or way off. The blower pulley use to rub against the bracket and I had to grind it down. Not 100% sure as to why it was rubbing. The directions the came with the kit were horrible! Where can I get an alignment tool?
Old 10-23-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
The pictures are very hard to read! If I'm holding the camera even at a slight angle it will look like all is either perfect or way off. The blower pulley use to rub against the bracket and I had to grind it down. Not 100% sure as to why it was rubbing. The directions the came with the kit were horrible! Where can I get an alignment tool?
You're not supposed to grind it down. You should have had a shim shippped to put between the blower and the the blower pulley which would push the pulley out a little and not cause any rubbing. Did you use any shims that came with the kit ? If so, how many did you end up using ?
Old 10-23-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The blower is too far towards the radiator(front of car), but thats what everyone has said above, did you put shims between the blower and the bracket to push it out toward the radiator?? If you did, take em off and just mount the blower directly to the bracket. If you didn't the blower pulley needs to come out toward the engine. Do you just have the blower pulley on the shaft? Or did you leave the shim ATI put there on it too...if you still have the shim+ s/c pulley the pulley still needs to move toward the engine some....but I don't know why you are having so much trouble, all of us SDCE users had pretty good luck with alignment so far. The instructions got us by, I think they have some pics posted on their website too, if that helps.
J
Old 10-23-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

There should not be any spacers/shims between the blower and the bracket. If you wanted to move the blower towards the front of the car .. shims should have only been placed between the bracket and the and the studs holding the bracket to the alternator .. etc.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Default Call Me!

So we can offer some suggestions and see what's up...the instructions have been revised slightly in the last week or so to try and clarify a bit more - Scott forgets he's installed lots of these so he sometimes overlooks things that may seem "little" to him but would be helpful to mention to those that have never installed one of these.

As far as an alignmet tool, there is no need for a fancy tool...use a straight edged metal ruler, or a piece of stock long enough to reach from the blower pulley to the crank pulley. place the straight edge FLAT on the blower pulley and swing it over the crank pulley, then place the straight edge on the crank pulley and swing it over the blower pulley to see what part isn't lined up properly...there are pics on the website, but for some reason, some of the links arent' working. If you need me to email the pics to you, I'll be glad to do so....just let me know!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Old 10-25-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Just stick with it and make sure your alignment is correct.

I spent about 8 hours shimming and aligning mine (taking it on and off the car). You have the solution to your belt problems (the SDCE kit) just need to tweak it a little bit.

FWIW I am up to about 17 psi in this cold fall weather and I am still using the same 8 rib Napa belt that I started with. Just stick with it and iron it out. The kit works.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stick with it man.... try shiming the blower pulley out and see if it is lined up then...... i used a piece of flat metal stock as a alignment tool.....

Kyle
Old 10-25-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, why use a laser for $115 when you can guess at it with string or piece of metal.

You'll get it eventually.

Last edited by MelloYellow; 10-26-2004 at 01:58 AM.