Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Congrats to Harlan and Steve Turley 170MPH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rod442
Yes, Rod that is one out there. But your link is a little old. That car now runs a 7.9 @ 180mph on drag radials, yes street approved tires. The car is still 3300lbs ( stock is 3500lbs ) and as I stated, no wheelie bars, lol.

http://home.comcast.net/~craigristuben/180mph2.wmv

Even though I never talked about the 7 second cars, lol. I did say the 8 second ones. Here's a few.

AAP Supra ( not street driven, but just modified car ) 8.3 @ 168

http://www.anderson-audio.com/video/aap1.mpg

Virtual Works Street driven full weight Supra ( this thing eats light turbo Busa's )

http://www.lvracingscene.com/videos/..._Dana_8.89.wmv

Sound Performance Street driven full weight Supra

http://www.sound-performance.com/videos/spcar2004.avi

Marko full weight street driven, even to the track. 8.6 @ 159. Listen to the announcer say ( some breaking up going on ) foul plugs on that run and it cut out on the top end getting this time.

1.39 60'
130 mph in the 1/8th
8.6 @ 159mph

http://www.sound-performance.com/videos/marko91.mpg

These guys ( sounds performance ) are just across the lake in Chicago. You should meet up at Route 66. Marko is a really cool guy and he will run you for sure. Just get your car in the low 8's is really all I can say. He just Dyno'd the other day a 1243Hp with an automatic and yes built standard 3.0L motor daily driven car. Really good guys over there.

Then theres Titan with their low 8 second Supra, etc. Just showing their out there to some that are unaware.

Originally Posted by 2001-WS6
The answer is yes, the car has prowled the streets of metro Detoit this summer without the wheelie bars. We don't see many Supras where the big boys come out to play around here.

There was one that thought he could hang on the highway a few years ago but even with his dyno graph taped to his dash,... it just didn't give hime the kind of boost that a good vtech sticker would have been able to provide for the race. So the motor went Tick, Tick, Boooom trying to play catchup to the old slower version of this car.

Rick
Yea, I agree Rick. Any car that is not tuned correctly will suffer the same result at these Hp levels. I have both Imports and a Domestic Sports cars. Didn't want to turn this into that kinda post. I just though it was strange to see some of the post on here and maybe how narrow minded some might be. I for one never put down any car. For I like all types regardless of the manufacture. I'd like to leave it with what the heading say's and that some very nice runs where made here.

Last edited by ZBlacktt; 11-12-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info. I didn't know that the supra's were getting quite that quick. nice.

most of the ones around here claim to eat up high dollar exotics at crazy xway speeds.....

then go and lose to an 11 second car from a roll. OR are seen running 12's at the track.

I always did like em, just hard to find an unmolested one for the right money anymore.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBlacktt
Yea, I agree Rick. Any car that is not tuned correctly will suffer the same result at these Hp levels. I have both Imports and a Domestic Sports cars. Didn't want to turn this into that kinda post. I just though it was strange to see some of the post on here and maybe how narrow minded some might be. I for one never put down any car. For I like all types regardless of the manufacture. I'd like to leave it with what the heading say's and that some very nice runs where made here.
This is some very nice info that helps the community keep in touch with what others are doing.

My Tick Tick Boom comment was not intended to be at Supras in general. It was more for the metro area locals that will remember the events on I-696 that night. Just some local drama that I'm sure Rod and some of the others posting here from the area, will remember.

Rick
Old 11-13-2004, 03:56 AM
TECH Regular

Marko's car is sweet but its not a daily driver. It was down for 6 months last year wasnt it? Its a barely a street car as is most cars that run taht fast. That car is 7 years in the making.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:08 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZBlacktt

Sound Performance Street driven full weight Supra

Marko full weight street driven, even to the track. 8.6 @ 159. Listen to the announcer say ( some breaking up going on ) foul plugs on that run and it cut out on the top end getting this time.

1.39 60'
130 mph in the 1/8th
8.6 @ 159mph

http://www.sound-performance.com/videos/marko91.mpg

These guys ( sounds performance ) are just across the lake in Chicago. You should meet up at Route 66. Marko is a really cool guy and he will run you for sure. Just get your car in the low 8's is really all I can say. He just Dyno'd the other day a 1243Hp with an automatic and yes built standard 3.0L motor daily driven car. Really good guys over there.

I was at Sound Performance when Marko dynoed his car .Myself and the driver of the shopcar had to sit in the hatch to keep the car from spinning the tires We are close to 600lbs. combined weight! This was done on a conservitive tune at mid boost levels.The dyno graph showed that the tires still spun somewhat and you could feel them chatter aswell.

This car is as awesome a vehicle as you would ever want to drive on the street in my opinion.He does drive it to the track and back 100 mile round trip.

Props to Marko and Sound Performance for one badass car!
Old 11-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Evil F1 SS
Marko's car is sweet but its not a daily driver. It was down for 6 months last year wasnt it? Its a barely a street car as is most cars that run taht fast. That car is 7 years in the making.
Well, I was meaning street driven car. Nothing like driving all the way to the track, bust off back to back mid 8's and drive it home. By 7 years in the making, you must mean he's had just about every turbo combination out there. He's been running at most all the big Supra events for years. As the turbo's developed, he would update. Having SP is the best choice one could have to get the latest Turbo's on the market. That's why SP holds more than a few records of Street Supra times and Rwhp stock internals number.

Aside from the Auto guys, the 9 second six speed ones are no laughing matter either. But one thing I still finding shocking is the power these little motors are putting out. With most all these guys in the 1000 to 1200+rwhp and then to have a guy in AZ take his street Supra and push it to 1453rwhp with only 3.0L is unreal.

But this is turning into a Supra post and it shouldn't. My younger brother ( who's 30 ) has a 2001 TA. I drive it when he comes over all the time. It's a far different bread then my cars. It seems so big to me and heavy. But fast nonetheless. I've always been truly impressed with the wheelie popping domestic's, but that has got to be hell on the front suspension system, lol.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Is it just me or are the supra guys the cockiest people in the world?
Old 11-13-2004, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

yes they are, it makes spanking them much more enjoyable.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

WTF took so long to get a Supra to pull the tires?
I'm sure we've all seen the vid of the 03 COBRA getting air under the fronts ON THE STREET.
"I can't pull the fronts, I have IRS" It's always some excuse with them!
Let's compare the number of combos, years, and dollars spent (most of the Supra guys can't tell you anything about their own cras) compared to Harlan's car, or the Ohio gang (yes, thay have had a little more 'shop' help, but they certainly know every detail about their car.
Not to mention neither of those F-bodies look like these riced out Supras!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

comparing shop car to these homebuild cars are we
Old 11-13-2004, 10:33 PM
chronic masturbator

i was thinking the exact same thing, yes supras can be made VERY fast and im not knockin on them but most of them are shop cars, you can say they are a street car but with that much money you could make any supra a "street car" that never sees the street, markos car is sort of an exception except it is a shop car. all in all props on the numbers and such, but its apples to oranges.

just my opinion
Gary
Old 11-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLOWNMERO
Is it just me or are the supra guys the cockiest people in the world?
Sorry if you misread a fact that I typed. Not any opinions. Other than that. It's nice to see that some on here can read ones intent of their post and reply back like an adult and some cannot.

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
yes they are, it makes spanking them much more enjoyable.
No offense here at all. But if your spanking a Supra, then it's one of three things really. One, it's stock, two, bad driver by a long shot, three, it's a NA Supra. Reason why I say that, because the power you have now is a Basic upgraded range of a Supra. But your TQ is much lower, Hp is a tad lower too. Just an honest reply here.

As for Marko's cars being a shop car. Awh, no. It's his car and SP works on it like most any high powered car. SP has two cars themselves called SP1 and SP2. I posted one of their video's with the bike.

Look guys, I was simply replying to those that clearly didn't know what the Supra's where actually doing in the real world. If some see it as cocky, then others can see it as defensive on your part. Their just cars people. People talk cost like it's out of this world. Even those that know the cars, know about it's reputation for damn near built proof internals sustaining twice it's factory horsepower rating and not even breaking a sweat. But again, it's just a car. I have a 2002 GT convertible Mustang as well. I know how much Paxton SC's are, Saleen kits, fuel systems, etc., etc. So don't try and tell me it's cheap. I spent $4900 for my turbo kit for my Supra ( SP77 full kit ) that is capable of 900 to 1000rwhp. That's a full kit with 4" exhaust and all, wastgates, coated, polished, exhaust manifold, K&N, etc,etc. Just top on the line stuff. So it's no different from the rest. I think most hate on it because how does it do it? How does a car that weights the same has the domestic sports cars ( minus Z06 ) with only a little 3.0 liter 6 cylinder produce and run such incredible times over V8 turbo's, V8 superchargers, V10 TT's and SC's etc,etc. I have a 500Hp/451Tq twinturbo 300zx too. Yea those cost a lot to mod, lol . Again, there just cars. Not a big deal.

Last edited by ZBlacktt; 11-13-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:27 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
comparing shop car to these homebuild cars are we
Please define the difference between shopcar /homebuilt.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

harlan built his own setup, he doesnt own a shop, mike and steve built there own setup they dont own a shop .
ya supras are fast, alot of them are shop cars, the fastest ls1s arnt shop cars but own and built by poor boy racers.

next year mid sevens for ls1s will become a reality. more and morewill be in the 9's and eights.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
harlan built his own setup, he doesnt own a shop, mike and steve built there own setup they dont own a shop .
ya supras are fast, alot of them are shop cars, the fastest ls1s arnt shop cars but own and built by poor boy racers.

next year mid sevens for ls1s will become a reality. more and morewill be in the 9's and eights.
Completely understand what your trying to say. But lets not loose the fact that these so called shop cars, are from a business that is marketing it's product. It's still a Street Car. That is what I said from the beginning. Would it matter if I posted pictures of most of them before they put their shops logo's all over their cars? They where still just white, just silver, etc., before all that. They are tag carrying, registered cars. As I'm sure like you guys. Supra guys are hard on each other at this level too. They make sure for the most part they keep the cars full weight with AC and all that to make their time just that much more incredible. Again in the end, their fully weighted Street cars with a crap load of decals promoting their American dream, owning their own shop. Doesn't make them any less of a contender.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:58 PM
8 Second Club

Did Matt,Steve ,Mike all do the machine work on their motors?did they port their own heads ?or did they assemble the componets into their chassis.Not trying to be a dick just pointing out that homebuilt is a very loose term. I completely assembled my motor, the only thing I didnt install on my car was the rollcage. I do custom fabrication work for Speed Inc,Sound performance and several other performance shops does that make my car a shop car?I dont own a shop but do have 24hr access and am a machinist by trade .I do all my work after hours not on company time some people would think that because I work for a shop that its a shop car thats not the case.Doesnt Matt work for GM that gives him access to some pretty inside stuff dont ya think ?is it readily available to the public ?Doesnt he build shiftlites for the public doesnt that make him a shop? Did you do all your installs tuning and such
?Because someone can afford to pay a shop to work on their cars doesnt mean its a shop car IMO. As a shop are they willing to do everything that makes their own stuff the best or will they keep the little things to themselves? I'm just saying that homebuilt is a very loose term.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:15 AM
chronic masturbator

well everyone has there opinions, good points made by everyone but last time i checked this thread was call "Congrats to Harlan and Steve Turley 170MPH!" lol sooo in conclusion hats off to matt, mike, and steve.

there will always be a car faster than yours but more than likely it wont be mine! lol
Old 11-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dynedta
well everyone has there opinions, good points made by everyone but last time i checked this thread was call "Congrats to Harlan and Steve Turley 170MPH!" lol sooo in conclusion hats off to matt, mike, and steve.

there will always be a car faster than yours but more than likely it wont be mine! lol

I agree and said that a few times

Originally Posted by Z8'S
I do custom fabrication work for Speed Inc,Sound performance and several other performance shops does that make my car a shop car?
Oh, so you might be the one doing the head on my car, lol? I'm sending it to Larry soon.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z8'S
Please define the difference between shopcar /homebuilt.
There are a few things I don't know how/or don't have tools to do.

If I had the proper tools to machine my own motor parts I sure as hell would, but alas I still pay for that part.

I have assmbled EVERY motor that has been in my car, measuring all clearances, fitting the rings, etc. I don't port my own heads, I would rather pay for the knowledge of port flow that someone else has than waste my money and time with a die grinder.

I don't know how to setup gears, I've never taken the time to learn. So I still pay someone to do that. I bought the rear housing from Jay cause I don't have the tools/jig to set up a rear end and have the axles straight.

I fab'd my wheelie bars from scratch, all the layout, cutting, grinding and welding. Including the rear end mounts which DERTY and I drew up in ProEngineer and had laser cut.

I layed out my own front and mid motor plates to match my needs, had the front plate machined from aluminum and the mid laser cut from steel.

I fab'd my own headers from 321 stainless, took a week off work and that's all I did. A solid 40 hours of fitting and welding. I did all the hot side work, and the cold side work.

I made my own radiator to fit it's current location.

I made my fuel tank from sheet aluminum to fit my wheelie bars. I asked to use a friends shear and brake to do that. Bent it up, and welded it up. We now have our own shear and brake for such tasks.

I made my own torque arm from scratch when I had the 6 speed. Making a new one this winter for the glide.

I made my own tranny cross member to the glide.

I installed my own cage. The 8 point was a kit from S & W. I bent the bars myself for the 10 point conversion. All the welding was done by me. I bought a hydraulic tubing bender so I can do the funny car conversion (probably 25.5) this winter or next summer.

I did my own mini-tub on the car.

I did my own parachute anchor, as well as bend up the pack mount from scratch. I didn't like what I could just buy, so i made it.

I welded in my own sub frames.

I made my own seat mounts from scratch.

I made my own travel limiters for the front suspension.

I needed to run Low-z injectors, so I designed my own driver box and made it. I am an electrical engineer by education after all.

I made my own valve covers. DERTY and I layed out the head flange in ProE, had them cut. I folded sheet aluminum for the profile, and welded them up myself.

I've always tuned my own car, and always will.

I have alot of help from my friends, DERTY, Joe, Marcus and Coach. The 5 of us have built 99% percent of everything on my car. Not on a shop budget, but on my budget. I've bought some big tools along the way, but damn if they didn't pay for themselves within a couple months.

But I'll be damned if I every become a checkbook racer. I own the car, we built the car with our own hands and minds, and I drive the car. Simple as that.

If making lights on the side to supliment my normal salary makes me a shop, ok. But we all know how much money going fast takes. It eases the pain a little

I'm an EE, not a fabricator, not a machinest. I like to work with my hands, so I've taught myself over the yearts. I can tell you all you wanna know about meeting EPA/CARB requirements for 4 cylinders in 2007 (super duper stuff cause I work for GM).

That's my definition of homebuilt versus shop car. Mine is and always will be homebuilt by Stenod Racing. 5 guys who are friends, like to hang out together, and happen to build a couple turbo cars in our free time.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

My definition of home built agrees with Harlan's version.

It's for the reasons Harlan listed above that at every gathering where his car is there are TONS of people checking it out. It's impressive that they built nearly all of it themselves.

Quick Reply: Congrats to Harlan and Steve Turley 170MPH!