Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Congrats to Harlan and Steve Turley 170MPH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 03:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i concur.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

seriously, harlan you should open a paypal account for donations. I would donate 10 dollars to your fund, if nothing else just to see an LS1 run faster than ANY supra in the world. Seriously, I will donate, and im sure other people will too.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats to both Mike and Harlan on their incredible runs!! I would be happy with a low eleven pass and these guys think a nine second pass is slow! I had the pleasure of seeing Mikes car up close this weekend and that thing is a monster.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Grant B

IMO, if someone tells you they have a 150 mph "street" supra they are full of ****. It may go 150mph at the track, but it won't do anything near that on the street. On pump fuel and without nitrous they just aren't nearly as fast. Frankly I don't understand why someone would want a street car that can be prepared to run fast on a track, as it just takes away from its ability to do street car things. Now if its a street-race car, then it makes sense.

Supraforums is full of ****-talking and false dyno sheets. As I said before, the cars definitely have their merits, but there is also a lot of hype.
Yea, full of sh*t. Here just this past weekend. Street Supra, full weight, no NITROUS OXIDE, just boost alone 9 sec @ 150mph. To make it Domestic related for this forum, lol. he races a NITROUS OXIDE driven newer Mustang which just takes the hell off.

http://www.turbotuners.net/phil97svt...bullet9.70.mpg

If your last statement was so true it would be hard to **** talk when your motor is two cylinders and much more displacement up on them everytime and look at the results. NO matter the car it takes X amount of power to move X amount of body weight, that = X amount of rwhp. Also as you well know. It's takes 15 minutes or less to pull a Single turbo off and swop it out for a smaller/bigger one depending on the cars intent. Run a new set of AME maps and off you go. Most of these guys are running stock drivelines, diff's, IRS, manuals tranny types are stock, etc. So not to out of the way from OEM.

sorry last post

Race on

*oh edit* I for got to add, Tony, the guy that ran the 9.7 @ 150mph all boost, has a six speed car too. So he actually has to drive it, lol.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 11-16-2004 at 05:01 AM. Reason: its nitrous oxide, not nos, cause he could have been running a NX, tnt, venom, or any other number of kits.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLOWNMERO
seriously, harlan you should open a paypal account for donations. I would donate 10 dollars to your fund, if nothing else just to see an LS1 run faster than ANY supra in the world. Seriously, I will donate, and im sure other people will too.
One would think logically that wouldn't be hard to do. If you look solely at the power plants of each car. Do everything under the sun to them. One is clearly going to produce a great deal more power and rightfully so with a bored over built V8. Just a mad Torque monster. Just like the Vipers with their massive V10 twinturbo set up's or even SC's. Only there is not one of them faster then the fastest two actual driven Street Supra's. Check with John Henn, he'll tell you because he holds the Street Viper record. Supra'sogically shouldn't even be competing with you guys. To see what they can do at their peak, there's a few bad *** V8's in here around the Chicago area. A friendly race with Marko will tell you if the car is for real. But really, it's not an ego trip guys. Their just cars and there's always someone faster. A Supra will never pull the bottom end TQ wheelie hopping launches that you guys do. They'll never be looked at like a 69 Camaro or sound like a Cobra's exhaust. Somethings in life never can replace the American Muscle.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZBlacktt
Yea, full of sh*t. Here just this past weekend. Street Supra, full weight, no NITROUS OXIDE, just boost alone 9 sec @ 150mph. To make it Domestic related for this forum, lol. he races a NITROUS OXIDE driven newer Mustang which just takes the hell off.

http://www.turbotuners.net/phil97svt...bullet9.70.mpg

If your last statement was so true it would be hard to **** talk when your motor is two cylinders and much more displacement up on them everytime and look at the results. NO matter the car it takes X amount of power to move X amount of body weight, that = X amount of rwhp. Also as you well know. It's takes 15 minutes or less to pull a Single turbo off and swop it out for a smaller/bigger one depending on the cars intent. Run a new set of AME maps and off you go. Most of these guys are running stock drivelines, diff's, IRS, manuals tranny types are stock, etc. So not to out of the way from OEM.
Did you read my post at all? I'm not saying they can't do it at the track. Hell, YEARS ago SW was running high 9s at 154mph in his mostly-full weight 6-speed car. That was with some nitrous, but the turbo was smaller (T72 .81 a/r Q-trim IIRC, which drives pretty good on the street).

Tony is running a 76GTS. It can be driven on the street just fine, but of course its going to lag. He said his car weighs 3390lbs with him in it, which definitely means it isn't full weight. If you read the thread on supraforums, he says what he removed.

If you swap it out with a smaller turbo, then its no longer a 150mph car. If you run pump gas, its no longer a 150mph car. If it breaks, its no longer a 150mph car. If you run street tires, its no longer a 9.7 second car. Get my point? Obviously a larger displacement motor running less boost will make a lot more power on pump gas. "Street race" car would be a better term than "street" car.

If you really want, I can try and remember all the false dyno graphs I've seen on Supraforums over the years. I remember one vendor who posted an awesome dyno graph with a new turbo he was selling that was simply too good to be true (~150-200hp too good). Turns out he was spraying nitrous on the IC, and some of that got into the intake, obviously helping it spool a lot better and make more power. My 458whp single-turbo Supra (daily-driven, my only car) pulled on a 500whp, a 520whp and a 540whp Supra on the street. All of them supposedly dynoed on pump gas...

Why does everyone talk about the number of cylinders anyways? Weigh a 2JZ next to a LS1. I'd bet the LS1 is lighter than a fully dressed 2JZ sans turbos and IC.

Last edited by Grant B; 11-16-2004 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Teching In

I suggest we get our own post going. Because I've been there for years too as you may have seen. Everything you post I know as well. Everything you say, I feel the need to clarify. Which in turn is posting on the wrong tread. I enjoy the conversation though, really. Oh and I have a SP77 kit on my Supra, so I know a little about that too.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

PSJ can you close this thread, nobody cares about a stupid supra.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Better than closing it, just remove all of the Supra's stuff, I agree we don't care what a Supra runs or doesn't run unless it has a Ls1 installed. ZBlackTT made a post on one of the previous pages where it was his last post about it but has made at least 5 since, guess he's not a man of his word.
Tom
Old 11-16-2004, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

grant b all of the scenarios you listed would result in power being taken away from the car which would not allow it to trap 150.80mph it would be the same as an ls1 spraying a 75 shot instead of a 100 shot or running pump gas instead of race gas that will certainly limit the amount of power u can make.......i happen to know silver bullet (tony) very well ive seen the car hundreds of times worked on the car and driven the car i was also there on sunday when he ran those times i took video of it he should be posting it soon........everything he listed on supra forums is what he took off the car and everyone takes those things off the car except for the rear bumper brace, 3 plastic panels and the pass seat all weighing at most 100 pounds......i also dont understand why everyone talks down about supras with the expection of a few people on this site that car will show you the tail lights at the track and even more on the street.......anyway i have an ls1 ive been brought up around domestic v8's my whole life and this car impresses the **** out of me and is the only import id ever buy not quite sure what everyone is pissed about unless u know this car is out of your league
Old 11-16-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

I think everyone is pissed because this is supposed to be a thread about 2 LS1 going 170. Now we have 5 pages of Supra ****. If I wanted to know about Supras I would go to a Supra board.

I say lock it. Hopefully by the end of this weekend 170 will be old news.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Any 7 second passes before the years end?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congratulations to the 2 170MPH'ers !!
Old 11-16-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evil F1 SS
Any 7 second passes before the years end?
I'm done for the year, so i doubt it

Old 11-17-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by y2khawk
I'm done for the year, so i doubt it

Aw, c'mon, please...
Old 11-17-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL

I'm just waiting for Mike and Steve to take back the top spot this weekend. They were on a mission in the finals of outlaw

I'm already starting the upgrades for next year, so my focus is the spring

Not to mention I really need to get the truck back on the road. Been transmission less for MONTHS!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Forget the truck, just roll the Hawk out for winter duty It probably does pretty well in that white stuff you get up there in the winter I mean hell, it has T/C right?

OH and BTW -- after watching those vids of the supras, what size tires are they running?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Harlan are you going to a full all out race car or are you going to keep it barely street legal? Any plans on bringing that beast down to Fla?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Harlan or the Ohio gang can one of you please take your drivetrain and drop it in a Supra??
That should shut them the f**k up!
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the supra boy aware they Steve and Harlan are doing this in the 1/4 mile?

Zblacktt leave before we find out where you live.

Quick Reply: Congrats to Harlan and Steve Turley 170MPH!