Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

D1SC on the way ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1SC on the way ...

I've been reading and silently lurking thru this site for a few weeks now ... my procharger is on the way (even though I think I would be better off with a turbo, but thats a whole other story) and I cant wait ... it should be here the week after thanksgiving ...

I have been told that since I went with the D1SC upgrade from the usual P1SC that the starting boost level would be around 10 lbs ... I also upgraded to the newer HD 3 row intercooler available for the trucks ... now the kit comes with a FMU that is supposed to take care of the extra fuel requirements, but I dont (cycnically) trust that it will be enough and am planning on getting a wide band AFR meter installed before the supercharger goes on so that I know where I am at ...

How far will the FMU take me and at what level should I be looking at bigger injector and/or a better fuel pump? I would like to eventually run around 15 lbs with possibly alcohol injection so that I do it all on 93 octane, but I would rather play it safe ...

what should I be looking at to tell me that the injectors need to be upgraded ... the pulsewidth along with the AFR or the fuel pressure or both?

I also am ordering an HP tuner package so that I can get into the PCM ... but alas, unless is has oil in it, it is quite confusing to me and I am expecting to have quite a difficult time in learning how to tune using the computer ... dont get me wrong, I'm no idiot when it comes to tuning, but I grew up with points and carbs and that is a different game ... I know how to tune a carbureted engine and use a lot of nitrous, but tuning electronically is new to me. I am looking forward to it, though ... changing jets and timing with a keystroke will be nice ...

Are there any resources (besides this site) that would help me with learning how to use the software necessary to re-flash the computer?

Sorry to ask so many questions, and I am sure I will come up with many more ... but I am sure I will find the answers here ...

TIA ... hangslo

Last edited by hangslo; 11-21-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Tuning a forced induction car is not for the faint of heart. Especially if you have no ida what all the different tables and cells stand for once you crack open the PCM...

At anything above 5psi on a truck (or car) I would recomend bigger injectors and at least a 255lph inline pump... If you wanna run 15psi in the future I would just get a set of 60lb injectors now and a Racetronix dual in-tank 255lph pumps. I am taxing my fuel system with 13-14psi and have to upgrade before the new motor goes in and the boost goes up.

I have always seen most hardcore guys ditch the FMU and just use bigger injectors and good tuning. FMUs are kind of a bandaid way of getting fuel and all the fast guys I know hate em. Just my opinion though.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the response, F8L ... you also are on parish's site as well aren't you? I have also posted there ...

I have read up on the tuning, but I figure it is gonna be a leaning curve ... my plan is to run off the FMU until I can get into the other stuff ... first off I planning on getting rid of the torque mgmt, then go from there ... should I leave it in or get rid of it?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hangslo,
what do you plan on using in your botom end to handle the 15lbs? You will also need a reichard pulley or a SDCE tensioner kit ti stop the slipping at 15lbs.

I have a cam and I have just started playing with tuning. I am using LS1 Edit and EFILive 6.x. I think HPTuners may simplify things a bit compared to my software but tunning is still not an easy task on a FI car. You may want to consider a SD tune. I would just start reading in the PCM section here so that youll start putting things together. You will want to take the torque mgnt out but that is the least of your worrries at first.

there is a sticky in the PCM section called "VE tables cracked", you should deffinitly check that thread out, its a good read.

I think there is a wideband out ther that interfaces right with HPtuners. I wish I had waited for HP instead of EDIT.

Im debating a D1SC now. I have a chance to ppick one up used with only a few hundred miles on it for a good deal. Im just still trying to decide if I want to do it or not.

Good luck wiht the kit. Let us konw how it turns out.

By the way, what car/truck is this going on. F-body, y-body ?

Quick Reply: D1SC on the way ...