Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

does altitude affect times with a turbo inducted car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know we has a bit less O2 up here, but does this mean that since we are 2.X PSI less than sea level up here, that we can boost by another 2.X psi to 'fix' the altitude problem?
Old 11-28-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hugger1975
damn.

hope i can pull a 14 here............

so when's bandamiere open?

i cant wait to see this altitude ruin my power here (sigh)

<---------moved to colorado from chicago
www.bandimere.com

You will actually see better times at bandi even though its higher then PMI (in Pueblo). Bandimere is a very nice track...especially compared to PMI. But Im only 10 minutes away from PMI...so it doesnt bother me too much.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club

if the gauges are calibrated at sealevel, does that mean that if you are at 8000 ft and reach 10 psi , I would assume the turbo already made up for the losses from the altitude, or in otherwords, that would bein absolute pressure.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

thats what i'm thinking.. but

hey people in the upper atmosphere.. what do your guages reed with the engine off? is it in vaccum any or no?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ~RedLineLs1~
By next season I'll be able to put the neons in their place though.
I never thought I'd see the day when a neon can smoke an fbody...
Old 12-06-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
thats what i'm thinking.. but

hey people in the upper atmosphere.. what do your guages reed with the engine off? is it in vaccum any or no?
One of the guy's i work with is heading to colorado over christmas vacation. I'm gonna make him take my old mechanical gauge as a test reads 0 here...
Old 12-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Hi,

Just stumbled over this thread.
It's really very simple. Air mass per volume (density) is dependent on (absolute) pressure and temperature. If you would run the same ABSOLUTE manifold pressure with the same IAT, you would make the same power regardless of altitude. Typical boost gauges do not display ABSOLUTE pressure though, but relative pressure (gauge pressure), relative to atmospheric. So if you use gauge pressure, you make less power because you put less air MASS in the engine, even though the indicated boost level (relative to atmospheric) is the same.
I said above 'same IAT', because to make the same absolute pressure at altitude as at sea level, the turbo needs to work harder (faster). This raises IAT's. Hotter air has a lower density -> result is less power even for the same absolute pressure. As the outside air is also less dense at altitude, an intercooler works less efficiently as there is less air (mass) flowing around it to cool.
Lower air density at altitude also means less aerodynamic resistance at high speed. For some forms of racing this can offset the power losses a little.

Example:
Airplane engines very typically encounter power loss with altitude. This can cause problems during takeoff from a high level airport. The FAA does not allow aftermarket turbo kits to increase engine power beyond the sea-level rated power. BUT, they do allow a turbo kit that maintains sea-level (absolute) pressure in the intake, regardless of altitude. This kit allows the engine to maintain sea-level power rating at altitude.

Regards,
Klaus
Old 12-06-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

As stated most "boost" gauges (and most pressure gauges) will read zero at whatever atmospheric pressure they are located. Pressure transducers can be absolute type (most often) or gauge (atmospheric) compensated. Power is influenced by temperature, altitude, humidity,etc. So while a turbo will maintain a constant pressure ratio no matter what altitude you are at it will not maintain a constant density ratio. So you will have power fluctations. My car ET/mph will fluctuate the same as a normally aspirated car under the same weather variations. If temperature and humidity is up the normally aspirated cars (not just f-bodies) will go up a tenth and so will my car. The intercooler efficiency will also drop due to the density loss, plus the compressor will have to spin faster to make the same boost. Both lead to hotter intake temperatures.

Its not uncommon in southern New Mexico to have density altitudes in the summer time of 9000 ft even though actual altitude of 4200 ft, because air temperature is 100+ and humidity is 30+%.

Gary
Old 12-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Launching!

So if you are living high up here like I am, does that mean that I can boost more, to match closer to what the sea level's, "absolute" pressue would be?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Hi Christos,

Yes you could boost to the same absolute pressure (or higher gauge pressure), but you would need a bigger intercooler to compensate for the lower compressor and IC efficiency at altitude.

Regards,
Klaus
Old 12-07-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would run more compression
Old 12-11-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RealQuick
I never thought I'd see the day when a neon can smoke an fbody...
Its not so fun...trust me.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
I would run more compression
So you're limited to being able to run even less boost at altitude to compensate? That doesn't make much sense.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Damn, many of you complain about altitude, but where i live is every day´s bread. I live at 8500 ft, and i feel my car strong, but when any lower than that, i feel the car as a total beast.

You could say that every 100 meters is a 1% less of your engine performance, so lets put it this way, if you have 300 hp and you are at 1000 meters of altitude you get 30 hp less that would put you on the 270 hp range. The meters to feet conv. is 0.383 ft i think, so it would be every 383 ft you lose a 1% of your engine performance. The 1% rule may vary obviously depending on the air humidity (which engines love), the temperature, that is base on a 16°C as excellent (every extra 5°C is a 1% less, due to the heat), mmm! sorry, but i do not remember the factor to turn °C to °F.

Quick Reply: does altitude affect times with a turbo inducted car?