Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger D1SC vs Vortech V9SQ pro's and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The D1 is much louder than the Vortech G-trim SQ.. Both blowers get louder as the blower heats up. When you first fire up a G-Trim SQ on a Cold motor, you can barely hear it.. The T-trim is about as loud as the D1 ATI..

I agree that the ATI kit with a Spring tentioner takes most if not all the problems, or you won't have to mess with it as much. Watch for Oil weaping from the blower motor on these ATI head units. I found some of my bolts on the unit to be loose to I tightened them down, seemed to help. I would never reccomend to change the ATI oil every 6,000 miles. Change it every oil change that my 2 cents worth. I change my oil every 2k and I also to the ATI oil. These head units are soo expensive that it does not hurt to clean the magnet and change the ATI oil for 5 bucks a bottle. Just extra insurance... Other people may diagree, that's fine. Another reason I change the oil all the time, cause I'm spinning the hell out of the blower at this altitude to give me boost..

Both Kits are great.. ATI is cheaper, but you'll make up for it by buying the Spring tentioner..

Another thing I must mention. I have seen at first hand a D-1SC and Vortech G-Trim blow up from Operspinning. The D-1SC seemed to last a little longer. Also. When the D1 insinerated the pulley disengaged completely from the impeller. The pulley would run freely, and the impeller would not turn at all. The cause of damage was done from over spinning a D1SC on a Power Hungry 396ci Stroked LT1. Very Little metal fragments were found in the piping, and settled in the intercoolers, and had no chance to make it up to the motor.

Same story on a Vortech G-Trim SQ. This was on a 550RWHP Stock Motor 2000 SS. The Head unit took a $hit and the owner shut down the motor only 2 seconds after hearing a bad grinding sound from the motor, pulled over and towed it back to the shop. After inspecting the blower that did infact go out, but would still allow to be spun. The owner found a lot of metal in the aftercooler and a little in the intake as well. The aftercooler did not stop all the metal, and could have hurt the motor if the owner did not shut her down right away. Remember the stright shot of the piping with the vortech kits allow the smaller G-Trim head unit to suppily plenty of power. ATI with all the piping, you do loose flow/Power but does help protect the motor incase the unlikely chance that the blower would go out. Also the ATI head unit is self contained, so if the blower did go out, it would not hurt the oil suppily of the motor. There is a filter or screen if you will on the return line from the Vortech head unit, does it catch all the metal? The ATI system is maybe lighter than the Vortech without all the Air to Water piping. The ATI setup sits low in the car, so in tight corning the car might not feel top heavy.

These are all things to think about.

Good luck.

Clint
Old 12-07-2004, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guarantee ya no D1 is louder than my Vortech, mine fucken screams! I think its louder than my buddy's T trim LOL
Old 12-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Restricted User

I have been researching the pro's con's of these two as well over the last year or so. Most all the arguements are covered in the above posts. My issue for leaning towards ATI is, after installing one, which wasnt all that hard actually, I wouldnt want to take it all apart to change plugs like it appears the Vortech would require. I dont see anyway to maintain the engine without having to pull it all off, although it looks much easier than removing an ATI. And finally, since SDCE released their ATI+ kit, including the Extra bracing on the mount, the spring tensioner etc...that would be my choice, great unit, great price, outstanding performance!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

ATI 8 rib real tensioner. Done. looks cleanest, easiest to install, work on, makes power. Waiting for LS1Power to tell me to turn the boost up and put the good gas in it and see what the stock motor will take
Old 12-07-2004, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

it literally takes minutes to remove the top part of the vortech, its not like its all intricate.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CAT3
I have been researching the pro's con's of these two as well over the last year or so. Most all the arguements are covered in the above posts. My issue for leaning towards ATI is, after installing one, which wasnt all that hard actually, I wouldnt want to take it all apart to change plugs like it appears the Vortech would require. I dont see anyway to maintain the engine without having to pull it all off, although it looks much easier than removing an ATI. And finally, since SDCE released their ATI+ kit, including the Extra bracing on the mount, the spring tensioner etc...that would be my choice, great unit, great price, outstanding performance!
Hey,
What is that SDCE ATI+ kit? Where is some info on it or where could it be found? any price guess? Thanks
Old 12-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Launching!

It is an ati kit that comes with sdce's spring tensioner setup. I just ordered one and can't wait to put it on. They are a sponser.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

I might be wrong, but I think I remember in my research that people with ATIs were more prone to have overheating problems.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSteve6
I might be wrong, but I think I remember in my research that people with ATIs were more prone to have overheating problems.
With the ATI kit don't you have to remove one of the cooling fans (I think so) and can that cause problems in hotter climates?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Teching In

SDCE, where can I find their website with info on their Procharger kit?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shippershack
So which setup is going to be quieter D1Sq or Vortech SQ?
Would installing a procharger allow me to keep the custom FRC's on, unlike Vortech?
Just how labor intensive is changing the oil on the Progharger every 6K miles?
You guys are full of great info, keep it coming!
Thanks!
It takes me about 10-15 min to change the oil on my D1-SC
Old 03-02-2005, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

Procharger is also coming out with a new bracket that will eliminate most, if not all, belt slip issues. Ive already seen one installed on a customers car and the belt wrap is insane. Im putting one on my car soon... if Procharger will allow it Ill take some pics and share.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Default procharger sucks

I have a d1sc on an 05 vette 440 lsx livernois heads. I can't keep a belt on it to save my life. I can only make it to 710 hp on the dyno before it chunks a belt. With my set up I should hit 850hp. I won't be selling prochargers anymore. After replacing brackets and shimming the crap out of it I'm done with procharger. Oh and if they mismachined the brackets they will definately sell you another set for $700.00. You wouldn't think cnc would be off that far.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2 downsides of the ATI kit = placement of the blower, you basically can't get a good flowing inlet hat on it unless you stand the rad up. The tensioning system, manual tensioner = fail. Other than that, I LOVE it.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Blowers always have bad reps. As for having multiple brands of blowers, procharger is the safest, is the ls1 vortech self-contained? They never match up on power, installation and tune and fuel are a must, more boost more problems, over 60k miles no problems. My boat over 250 hrs and no problems. I wouldn't even consider anything else.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you guys realize this thread was started almost 5 years ago lol?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember this thread... boy shes old. :-)

Quick Reply: Procharger D1SC vs Vortech V9SQ pro's and cons?