Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo set up/oiling

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo set up/oiling

I been trying to figure out the most logical place to locate the turbo in my ongoing project. I've decided to go with the t76 but im looking for the cheapest place to purchase it. Any ideas???? The next F'n issue is the oil supply to the turbo. I've noticed that the STS system is getting its oil right before the oil filter. Ive also noticed that there scaveging pump for the oil return is boost sensitive (the more boost/vacuum, the pump speeds up on the return line). I think it runs off of vacuum. If I did an underhood install,what would be the most logical location on the motor to tap off of for the oil supply for the turbo. Do you guys think the return line size makes a difference? Any recomendatons??? Im trying to build the least expensive kit/most efficient kit. Everyones help is greatly appriciated.
Thanks, Im off to have another glass of Johnny Blue(xmas gift from the woman)
J
Old 01-02-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

the sts kit has a relay on the oiler.it runs on 6 volts untill it has about 3 to 5# of boost and kicks into 12 volts.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the high pressure supply from the same place. It's about the easiest to get to.

As for the return, use the largest ID hose you can. Something along the lines of a -10 or -12 braided hose (1/2" to 5/8" ID). Place the turbo high enough that you can gravity drain into the pan, front cover, etc. A well placed and large drain line will eliminate alot of headaches. Keep the drain above the oil level in the pan, this will prevent any drainback issues if you have any crankcase pressure.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2khawk
Get the high pressure supply from the same place. It's about the easiest to get to.

As for the return, use the largest ID hose you can. Something along the lines of a -10 or -12 braided hose (1/2" to 5/8" ID). Place the turbo high enough that you can gravity drain into the pan, front cover, etc. A well placed and large drain line will eliminate alot of headaches. Keep the drain above the oil level in the pan, this will prevent any drainback issues if you have any crankcase pressure.
On your Livernois Motorsports Single Turbo - GT37 kit, what injectors are you running? Do you get turbo lag? At what engine rpm does that turbo start to run inefficiently, or does it?
Thanks,
J
Old 01-03-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now it has the 8.1 marine injectors in it (~ 40 lb/hr)

It was a little laggy with the stock converter, more so because of the low stall. I'll know more with this turbo when i get the 80 swapped in, I've given up on the 4l60 at this point

I will be going to a GT40 this spring, simply because I know this turbo will not feed my addiction
Old 01-03-2005, 10:23 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Also remember not to go too big on the oil feed(s). Too much oil is a VERY bad thing on a turbo. I went w/ -3AN(1/4") feeds and a -12AN return.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Right now it has the 8.1 marine injectors in it (~ 40 lb/hr)

It was a little laggy with the stock converter, more so because of the low stall. I'll know more with this turbo when i get the 80 swapped in, I've given up on the 4l60 at this point

I will be going to a GT40 this spring, simply because I know this turbo will not feed my addiction
The 4l60 is complete trash. ive had them built and killed them. all 5 of them.I plan on calling turbonetics todayy, just to see what there tech support can help me with. Ill post some prices that they quote me on stuff/info on products.
Later,
J
Old 01-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Fullthrottledan1

ok i know its not done yet, but its best to see the oil lines in this pic.
im using stainless steel brades -4 lines for feed off the oil filter and using -12 for return lines. i just tig welded aluminum fittings to the pan and threaded in the steel fittings off the line. turbos seem to be fine when the truck is running. havent gotten the new motor over 3000rpms though...
hope this helps
Old 01-04-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fullthrottledan1
ok i know its not done yet, but its best to see the oil lines in this pic.
im using stainless steel brades -4 lines for feed off the oil filter and using -12 for return lines. i just tig welded aluminum fittings to the pan and threaded in the steel fittings off the line. turbos seem to be fine when the truck is running. havent gotten the new motor over 3000rpms though...
hope this helps
Dan,do you have any other pics of your install? How aboutyour manifold set up?It looks bad ***. What size turbos are you using? Injectors? Inline fuel pump?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Fullthrottledan1

not any other pics that im happy to show. its all made by me and its not pretty yet...lol im using 43lb injectors till racetronix gets their new 60lb.ers out(allen nelson told me about them) im using their intank pumps as well.
the manifolds are stock on the left side and off of a 99 camaro ss on the left(for clearance)
sorry for the hijacked thread. any other ?'s, pm me
p.s. they are 54mm garretts
Old 01-06-2005, 01:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullthrottledan1
im using 43lb injectors till racetronix gets their new 60lb.ers out(allen nelson told me about them) im using their intank pumps as well.
60's have been shipping for a few days now...

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 01-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Fullthrottledan1

oh damn!! might get on that when taxes get here!