Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

3bar Initial Tune Results - HP TUNERS - T76 Speed Inc

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Everyone has there own definition of a true street car.

I think once you start making more than 600rwhp you should start thinking about better fuel. It is cheap insurance.

I've accidentally ran 25lbs of boost on the street on 93 octane. It didn't break, but I consider myself lucky. I'm sure I could make some pulls on the dyno with pump fuel and high boost as well. But why risk damage to a 15k dollar engine (more in your case), for a few more dollars a gallon?

You always bring this up about pump gas, but never answer when I ask what your car has ran at the track on 93 octane?

I'm guessing it's because you either havn't ran it, or it didn't put down a good number. Either way, I think once you get it to the track and start leaning on it with 800+rwhp and 93 octane, you'll break something sooner than later.
Ever since I got the car back, I have been doing small tuning adjustments like, removing the electric water pump, installing gauges, installing extreme torque arm, tracking down a noise from the rear that ended up being a bad end link rod on the rear swaybar. I took the car to Darlington about a month ago, and ran it on the track, and the car ran what I thought was terrible numbers, 12.47@115, spinning the tires 30-40 feet out of the hole, running on Nitto 555. I ran the car 14 times in a row, one right after the other. Now lets look at that, that is retarded for a car that dyno'd 800RWHP. Right?, No Question. The car was falling on its face at 5500rpm. Now, put that thought on hold for just a second. I am probably the most unexperienced drag driver on this forum. I had been driving the car around, and it felt strong and I could not tell any difference, because I was not used to it. The fastest thing I had ever driven was my Northstar Fiero. So now back to the other piece, While at the track I let someone else drive the car, and when they got out, they said take it home and lets take a look at it. When I installed the boost gague, I did not install it right, my gague requires calibration for sea level, and I installed the sensor in front of the throttle body thinking, it would be a temp location, and I would be able to see the boost reading before I closed the throttle. Man was I wrong, i was getting boost reading over 23psi. We both know that my F1 with my 3.85 pulley and 8 inch crank pulley, that is not possible. Got back to the shop, hooked up a analog boost gauge and found out that I was missing about 6 psi, because when we originally dyno'd the car, the car had made 10psi. Upon close examination the intake plumbing had come off the front of the blower at one time and I had put it back on, but when it happened a small piece of plastic had got sucked up into the blower, and tried to come out the blowoff valve and got hung up causing the blowoff valve to let all of my boost out. The car was dynoing at 400RWHP. So, now if we look at the numbers of 12.47 @ 115 on 275/45/17 Nitto 555's Im going to say that is not too bad. With me not in the car, the car weights 3520. I weight 230.

So where are we now. Now we are back to where we are suppose to be with 822RWHP, its a supercharged car so I am not sure how I could have an explosion of boost like I could if I had a turbo. The SC is not going to turn any more than the engine is going to turn, so there is no danger of an over boost problem.

I am on schedule to have Marshall Racing here in Indian Trail, the person that did my Chromemoly Roll Cage, to finish the front of the cage, I will have the airride supension and new seats with racing harness installed before the end of Jan. Plus I need to come up with the money for a helmet. Because I dont do anything half-a@@ I have to have the best that there is. So sometimes I it takes me longer to get stuff. Why did I go to the track last time without all of the safety equipment? Because I felt safe driving the car, on 400RWHP, of course it was not a problem, I was used to driving it. Now that I have had a couple of chances to get on it, I can say this, OH MY GOD, I now can say without a shadow of doubt I can tell the difference. The car pulls and pulls and pulls. The front of the car looks like it wants to come up when I get on it. I am really depending on some friends of mine here to help me learn how to launch the car. When I was in Darlington, I was asked several times by officials, where was my helmet and belts. I kept telling them that the car was not going fast enough. I really want to put the track thing to rest. As soon as the changes are done this month, I will back to the track. Most of the calculators I have looked at say 9.66 @ 141mph. I guess it really depends on if I can get it to hook up.

The reason that I keep bringing it up, For some it is about dyno numbers, for some it is about drag numbers, for some it is about driveablity, for me it is about conquest of doubt. So many have said, it was not possible first on pump gas, then with the stock computer, then that it wouldnt be streetable. I had always wanted to design my own engine, and this is the end result. It is all about making the engine as efficient as possible, today my car make over 2 HP per cubic inch at the crank. I just think that we as a community need to redefine what is impressive and what isn't. You know and I know that with Race Gas, and a little pulley mod and minor tuning, 1000RWHP is there. It is just like my friend with his 2000 Vette. He called me to tell me that he had hit the 180mph mark, and I told him that he had been 20mph from the promise land and cut it short, so he went back and hit 203. So I feel the same way, I am 130HP from the promise land and being able to do it on pump gas is where it is. I could run nitrous or race gas, and be there with no problem, but the real challenge is making it happen on pump gas without knock, or retard from the PCM.
I want to belong to that club, the 200MPH club. According to all calculations, the car is capable of 243. I hope to get the car to the salt flats this year, and see if I can hit the 200mph mark. I just have a different set of goals than others. Sorry for the long response, but I thought I owed you a response.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
Not trying to start anything either. But I bet if you took the amount of money you have in your car and subtracted the amount they have in this one. The difference would buy a lot of $5.00 a gallon race fuel. Especially when you factor in the $2.00 a gallon 93. Don't you think?
Ok that is really hard to argue with
Old 01-07-2005, 08:40 AM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your 800+ on pump gas?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noyzee
is your 800+ on pump gas?
Yes, I have never run anything other than BP 93. Check the Sig
Old 01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
8 second mod

cool.
that c5r, man that is some $$$$$ holy hell.
nice power tho. who did the setup?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noyzee
cool.
that c5r, man that is some $$$$$ holy hell.
nice power tho. who did the setup?
I designed it and More Performance Put it together for me.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey if you are willing to risk that big dollar motor on pump gas, it is your choice. some of us wont. like others said it is cheap insurance.

btw you are a phenominal bench racer. calculations? lol.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:53 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,157 Likes on 752 Posts

Bryan, since you keep making comments, I call BS. If you dyno somewhere else, I will pay for the dyno session. I do not think you can hit 820rwhp, with a 10:1, 427ci, 10psi, blower setup at 5500 rpms. I have a hard time believing you can hit that power level with that compression on 93 pump gas. If you had said 700rwhp I would believe it, assuming the engine was < 9:1.

Or just hit the track and do 140+ mph without blowing a head gasket or munching a piston.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 01-07-2005, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I hate to take stuff off-tangent, so let's try to keep this one on target.

Jim, does it appear that the stock o2's could be reliable enuff to use for AF correction?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:27 PM
8 second mod

Can this set up be used with no o2's? and no knock sensors? I have non.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

What is the price for the 3bar sensor and software???
Old 01-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Is there any correction for different temps outside with only using the MAP?
Old 01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club

yes it will still read IAT I beleive.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

my entire engine was 7k and i spend $5 extra on top of a regular fill up a week to do 2.7 hp/ci

i dunno.. seemed relevant throw in 3k for the dfi if ya want.

thinking valvesprings after torque peak on the topic graph? i think mine was doing the same thing on my best pull i have the comp 941 springs

Last edited by MIGHTYMOUSE; 01-07-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Bryan, since you keep making comments, I call BS. If you dyno somewhere else, I will pay for the dyno session. I do not think you can hit 820rwhp, with a 10:1, 427ci, 10psi, blower setup at 5500 rpms. I have a hard time believing you can hit that power level with that compression on 93 pump gas. If you had said 700rwhp I would believe it, assuming the engine was < 9:1.

Or just hit the track and do 140+ mph without blowing a head gasket or munching a piston.
ok, sounds fair, we can do either, being you offered, if you are willing to pay for the dyno run, I am in Charlotte, NC, the dyno run that I made my number on was on a dyno Jet, so find a dyno that you want me to go to, you can use www.switchboard.com to find someone, call and setup the appointment, pay for the run, give me the location and time, and I will go, the only thing is how do I prove that I only have 93oct in the tank. Please schedule the time for after the 15th of Jan. As I work for Wachovia National Bank and cannot take anytime off until then because I have a large Server installation taking place this and next week of about 20 servers, due to the Southtrust merger. Please make sure it is a dyno that will go over 500 HP. This will be more fair for you if you pick the location, that way I cannot have previous access. You can hold the location until you are ready to have me go. I would like 2 days notice unless you can work out something for a Saturday, then just let me know on the Friday before. Check weather.com, because I will not go in the snow, or ice and it wouldnt be fair for you to ask. This weekend is booked, next weekend would be fine.

I do need to clairify that the compression is not 10:1, I do not believe I have ever stated that it was, it is 9.8:1 and I said 5800RPM not 5500. Check the sig. I had originally thought I was at 10:1, when I posted the parts list, but I went back and corrected it, when I made a calculation error because of the gasket. I called Chris at Diamond Pistons and had him made the calculation.

I am surprised John, I have no reason to lie, What would be the point of me coming on the forum and making up all of this. You need to know me to know that I dont do that. I am the kind of person that when I am told that it cant be done, then I have to prove it otherwise. maybe you caught the March 99 issue of Car Stereo Review, and saw the $100,000 Pontiac Fiero Stereo install. That came about because some punk A@@ said that I couldnt build an IASCA competition car out of a Fiero, it just got out of hand, just like this project did. You know the best part about that is I took the IRS to court and won and was allowed to write off the Fiero.

Please setup and pay for the dyno run and I will be happy to satisfy your curiosity. I am willing to drive 30 minutes in any direction just for you. We will have to wait until I get the stuff updated in the car before going back to the track. I still have respect for you even if you have a lack of trust in me. I await a time and date.

For some reason LS1TECH is not sending me emails about reply post, so if you could, please post it on the forum and contact me directly at lunapark@perigee.net or you can call my house at 704-289-9849 or work 704-427-4964.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
hey if you are willing to risk that big dollar motor on pump gas, it is your choice. some of us wont. like others said it is cheap insurance.

btw you are a phenominal bench racer. calculations? lol.
What I am risking, I am only running 17 degrees of timing. Where is the risk.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'll poke around and find one. Maybe you can run it low and then fill up locally. So our bet will be whether you pull over 820 on 93 pump gas, and no alky. No octane boosts.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

This got fairly interesting since yesterday
Old 01-07-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'll poke around and find one. Maybe you can run it low and then fill up locally. So our bet will be whether you pull over 820 on 93 pump gas, and no alky. No octane boosts.

That will work for me, I do know there is a couple of mustang dynos in town, and a couple of dyno jets, so I will let you chose, I have read here on the forum that there is a difference in power between the two, but I guess we will see. If you give me a little warning, I will run it low then fill up with 93 Oct BP before running it on the dyno, so i will have a receipt the day of the run to verify the fill up. I do not have an aftermarket tank, so I cannot go below 1/8 of a tank without the car sputtering, because of where the lines are, I am hoping to fix this with the installation of the billingsly ls1 tank. That is one of the mods taking place before the end of the month.

I am confused just a litte by your request, 820 where as 822 was by best run of 3. We are talking about a difference of 2 hp. I would say anything over 800 should be proof enough, but I am willing to go anyway. Being that I have never used race gas, dont you have to retune with race gas to get the benefits of using it, or is it just put it in the tank and instant more power.

I do have the dyno graph for the 822 run that I can also provide.

I will wait to hear from you.
Bryan

Quick Reply: 3bar Initial Tune Results - HP TUNERS - T76 Speed Inc