Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rebuilding my turbo 6.0 liter

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I will spend whatever it takes until I am satisfied. It's just the more it costs, the longer it takes. I dont expect to build a $20k engine in 2 months. This month I have about $3k to spend.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=TwnTrboCE]Well I'd first like to say don't listen to Smokinhawk. We have ran our car over 30psi with no issues but traction. Next time out it will be set on at least 30 and at a good track. Harlan has to be close to, if not at 30. APE has had issues but was over 30.
[QUOTE]

i thought you were only up to 26psi
guess im behind the times.
okay, okay, its the trannies that can't handle 30psi
Old 01-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Yeah I can understand that, I already tore my T56 up once. I had steel shifter forks put in when it was rebuilt but it still doesnt like powershifting under boost.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i have to say im in the same boat. im a newbie to ls1. i had a grand national for 4 years and ran 10.50. Too much money and the stock motor just dont hold up for long at high hp levels. You use to be able to get a spot form all v8 on ther street but now they are not giving no grtand nationals no slack. So i took a step up to the ls1. Did my reasearch on here about the motor and i think its the best motor out to modify next to that dayum new cobra motor.

well now i just brought a ls1 6.0 im gonna do a 408 either single or twin. if i go single im going with a pt88 , twin im going t66. I have the 6.0 heads im gonna have worked. ls6 intake. im gonna stick with the stock crank. eagle rods upgraded bolts. good pistons like 9.1 compression. dont know what fuel pump i need and injectors. to give you all a idea im sticking with the stock computer for now. Im using the 6.0 manifolds converted for turbos or turbo.

I do all my research on here. you guys do give out a lot of info so i see no reason to research anywhere else and i thank you guys for it. Im learning more as i read here.

My goal is to run in the 9's dont know how much horsepower i need for that with a ls1 firebird 1996 but im sure someone will help me out here.

Info i need
cam
fuel pump
fuel line size
what size gear though im thinking 3.42
im going with a 350 trans with a tranz brake
do i need a after market harmonic balencer and flywheel
what stall though im looking at 3800

if you ahve any more info that may help me thanks i will be checking back and didnt mean to forum jack but since we are on the same topic i didnt wanna start a new one.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
i thought you were only up to 26psi
guess im behind the times.
okay, okay, its the trannies that can't handle 30psi
The new TH210 tranny is handling 30+ psi fine and is waiting for more.

Bumpin-records, With a 408 and a 88 you will be in the 9's easy if car is set up properly. I wouldn't use Eagle rods though. Get something better. Once you start this you usually end up going a little farther than you thought. You don't want to end up getting it together then wondering if the rods can take it. Also don't use a TH350 with a high powered turbo setup. Either go with a Glide or TH400. You'll need a good balancer and flexplate. The other stuff really depends on the HP you plan on pushing it to.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just saw the new tranny in the sig.

so when is the nex time you running it? is it still raining out
Old 01-11-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

We will be running it soon. South.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
Well I'd first like to say don't listen to Smokinhawk. We have ran our car over 30psi with no issues but traction. Next time out it will be set on at least 30 and at a good track. Harlan has to be close to, if not at 30. APE has had issues but was over 30.

TheTurboLs1, You need to do a lot more research before you start buying parts. Not knocking you but your asking questions that you should already know the answers to. Because if your serious about making that kind of power, you have already wasted money on some of the parts you have.

Good luck to you though.

Well over 30psi!! We raced it at Thunder with 36psi, pushed water, blown head gaskets. On our dyno we have made some serious boost, too much boost. We think that we have it fixed now, time will tell.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
The new TH210 tranny is handling 30+ psi fine and is waiting for more.

Bumpin-records, With a 408 and a 88 you will be in the 9's easy if car is set up properly. I wouldn't use Eagle rods though. Get something better. Once you start this you usually end up going a little farther than you thought. You don't want to end up getting it together then wondering if the rods can take it. Also don't use a TH350 with a high powered turbo setup. Either go with a Glide or TH400. You'll need a good balancer and flexplate. The other stuff really depends on the HP you plan on pushing it to.
I just need to konw what cam to use and roller rockers. Im gonna have speed inc program the car. Should i go solid or hydrolic roller. Its not gonna be a everyday car jsut a weekend worrier. I do wanna hit the 9's on every pass. Thanks for your imput
Old 01-15-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

I would stay hydrolic. We're running 170mph with a hydrolic set up in a 3450lb car with no issues. Staying hydrolic with my CE also.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So how the hell do you big boost guys keep the heads down?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chris@AP-Engineering
Well over 30psi!! We raced it at Thunder with 36psi, pushed water, blown head gaskets. On our dyno we have made some serious boost, too much boost. We think that we have it fixed now, time will tell.
JFC : That is a LOT of boost

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my turbo 6.0 liter