Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Spraying Methanol on headers test...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spraying Methanol on headers test...

Am setting up Alky injection and plan to run 100% Methanol. Am planning to use the C5 wiper reservoir as my alky reservoir as many C5's have done without problem so far.

Am just thinking worst case scenarios with engine/header heat and a possible tank leak/accident, whatever.

Some have said Methanol has a high combustion point around 800* and is hard to ignite. Or that is is very similar to brake cleaner and even if you tried spraying some out towards the motor it would just evaporate before combusting. That Methanol requires high cylinder temps to burn.

Was thinking of spraying a small amount on my headers after engine is Hot to test. What do u think will happen? LOL

Last edited by MelloYellow; 01-15-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about you heat a piece of steel up to about the same temp you'd expect the headers to be at WOT for a decent amount of time. You can use a MAP gas torch.

I'd rather do that than experiment on my car and burn it to the ground.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Restricted User

My alky tank was mounted right near my turbo on my Buick and it used to get hot and no fires. I even spilled some on the downpipe when pouring some in and nothing happened. I jumped back a foot but luckily still nothing. Really, IMO, it's a waste to use straight meth., the car will benefit just as much from alky/water mix.

I can send you a pic of the mounting location if you like. Let me know.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thx for the feedback on the Buick.

Just thinking of dropping/spraying a tiny bit on the hottest point, just on the header steel. In retrospect I think Methanol flames burn clear so you can't see them...

Maybe I'll start with a shotglass and match test, LOL.
Anyone more scientific know the burn/ignition point of Methanol?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trying to figure this out...
You can light it with an 'ignition source' when meth above 54*. But how hot is an 'ignition source' ?

Solutions of methanol containing up to 74% water are classified by NFPA as flammable.

Methanol will not ignite at temperatures below 54 degrees, while gasoline will ignite well below freezing.

Gasoline has a flash point of -40*.

Flash Point: Flash point is defined as the minimum temperature at which the vapour pressure of a liquid is sufficient to form an ignitable mixture with air near the surface of the liquid. Pure methanol has a flash point of 54°F.

Autoignition (Ignition) Temperature:
Reported values vary; 725° to 878° F.

Auto-Ignition Temperature (AIT) is the lowest temperature at which a mixture ignites spontaneously.

Fire Fighting:
Methanol flames are almost invisible in daylight, producing no soot or smoke. They may be detected by the heat generated, a heat haze, or burning of materials in the affected area.

P.S. Yes, I'm paranoid. Won't keep me from running it. Just want to know what's up.

Last edited by MelloYellow; 01-15-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you plz post the pics of the mounting location ?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Of the methanol reservoir?
It's my C5 windshield wiper reservoir.

Noone has ever had an issue that I know of.
Just wondering if a leak on the headers or front end accident/splash to headers will catch fire.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Restricted User

IMO, if you get into a bad enough accident for that washer reservoir to rupture, the least of your worries is the alcohol getting on something. You would have to completely cave in the front end to about the halfway point. If it's wrecked that bad, I would let it burn and just make it a complete loss. Is that logical?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

As long as you aren't trapped by the steering wheel, lol.

Then again, might not take too much to crack that plastic windshield reservoir.

It's all paranoia I 'spose. Will just try a match/flame test for starters. Just wanna know what makes this stuff burn.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Restricted User

Ya, I can't blame you there. I know I was a little skeptical at first, especially how close my kit is to the turbo that gets about what...400-500 degrees? Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails Spraying Methanol on headers test...-alky_resize.jpg  

Last edited by NOSjohn; 01-16-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, I think we're safe from spontaneous combustion from header/turbo heat and I feel comfortable that has been proven.

Just wondering about leaks still. I won't have a drum of Methanol here for another week or two to play with.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Restricted User

Well, leaks are no issue. If your bottle leaks, as long as it's in a position away not on top of the header, you should be safe. Your line from the pump to the nozzle, is obviously pressurized, so just be sure that doesn't leak. Methanol or Alcohol fires are very rare, they do happen but you have a better chance at winning the lottery.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just a useless sidenote: When I was 17 I passed a car on the Mass pike that was on fire..his hood was open and a small flame was coming out the carb...I quickly grabbed a bottle of washer fluid from my back seat...ran acroos 6 lanes of traffic and the man and his girl looked confused as a stranger came from nowhere and quickly began pouring the fliud on the fire....which in turn errupted into a BLAZE!..I look at them, (hearing them gasp) said sorry..and ran back across the higway never to be seen again. I forgot there was alcohol in washer fluid.

On a side note: By the time I reached my car , I was too ashamed to look back, but my fearless co-pilot said it looked like I dumped gas onto the motor at 1st...but went on to say the fire had gone out before I was in my seat...

Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket. Chances are I just spread whatever gas was there (perhaps puddles on the manifold) around..
Old 01-17-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MelloYellow
Will just try a match/flame test for starters. Just wanna know what makes this stuff burn.
Do you know the phone number to 911?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jammer
Just a useless sidenote: When I was 17 I passed a car on the Mass pike that was on fire..his hood was open and a small flame was coming out the carb...I quickly grabbed a bottle of washer fluid from my back seat...ran acroos 6 lanes of traffic and the man and his girl looked confused as a stranger came from nowhere and quickly began pouring the fliud on the fire....which in turn errupted into a BLAZE!..I look at them, (hearing them gasp) said sorry..and ran back across the higway never to be seen again. I forgot there was alcohol in washer fluid.

On a side note: By the time I reached my car , I was too ashamed to look back, but my fearless co-pilot said it looked like I dumped gas onto the motor at 1st...but went on to say the fire had gone out before I was in my seat...

Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket. Chances are I just spread whatever gas was there (perhaps puddles on the manifold) around..

Now thats a video I would have like to see!!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Restricted User

hahaaa...that's not a true story !
Old 01-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Sounds like a good way to crack a header/manifold to me.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Default re

Originally Posted by Jammer

liquid of any kind on chem fire = bad. yea all u really did was spread the gas, alky burns itself off and nuthin else really(have lit hand before). thas y fire fighters use foam or a baking soda like fire extinguisher
Old 01-17-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the meth would burn itself up pretty quick even if a spark ignited in the case the reservoir cracks.
Guess we're looking at 1 gallon if full.

Last edited by MelloYellow; 01-17-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately it is.
Originally Posted by NOSjohn
hahaaa...that's not a true story !

Quick Reply: Spraying Methanol on headers test...