Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How Difficult to Complete an ATI Procharger Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How Difficult to Complete an ATI Procharger Kit?

I am looking at getting a partial ATI kit that has the compressor, the steel bracket, and I think an 8-rib pulley set-up. My question is how hard would it be to complete the kit with the piping, BOV, boost controller, etc... I don't plan to run any intercooler anytime soon, and I will probably keep the boost fairly low to not max out the fuel system. I would eventually upgrade the fuel system and maybe get a IC but don't exactly feel like buying a new bottom end or rear end. I would like to choose between this and getting some ported heads. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are going to need to save up some more parts.Fuel upgrades is a must,atleast 42lb injectors with a stock pump.Also not a good idea to not run it without an intercooler.The intake temps skyrocket without one.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I am looking at getting a partial ATI kit that has the compressor, the steel bracket, and I think an 8-rib pulley set-up. My question is how hard would it be to complete the kit with the piping, BOV, boost controller, etc... I don't plan to run any intercooler anytime soon, and I will probably keep the boost fairly low to not max out the fuel system. I would eventually upgrade the fuel system and maybe get a IC but don't exactly feel like buying a new bottom end or rear end. I would like to choose between this and getting some ported heads. Thanks.
We have the rest of the kit available for the ATI setup. Basicly its out IC kit that you need, and we can add the Bypass valve into the kit as well. You will actually only wind up with three to four pipes, and less mess plus more power.

Rick
Old 01-25-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure what you mean by keeping the boost fairly low, but stock injectors and fuel pump should be good for up to about 450 rwhp, but that is the least of your worries. With no IC, you will have to back out so much timing it will not be worth it; you won't make much power without detonation. No IC = high intake charge heat = detonation = new bottom end components
IMO, don't put on a s/c until you can provide adequate fueling and a cool intake charge. You just won't be happy with the performance and you will be risking damaging your engine.

Tom
Old 01-25-2005, 09:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1bad2k2ta
Not sure what you mean by keeping the boost fairly low, but stock injectors and fuel pump should be good for up to about 450 rwhp, but that is the least of your worries.
I would NOT run the stock injectors or fuel pump up to 450 rwhp on a FI application!!! You will be maxing the injector.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now whats the difference between a bypass valve and a blowoff valve, or are they the same? Is one better than the other?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:02 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Now whats the difference between a bypass valve and a blowoff valve, or are they the same? Is one better than the other?
Bypass valves are generally used on superchargers and blowoff valves are used on turbo applications.

Bypass valves are open under vacuum conditions, and close when vacuum reches 0 (WOT).

BOV's are normally closed, and open when the throttle is closed.

Bypass valves are better on supercharged applications for cruise conditions to take the load off of the blower for longer life and better gas mileage.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
I would NOT run the stock injectors or fuel pump up to 450 rwhp on a FI application!!! You will be maxing the injector.
Ponyhntr, you are correct. My bad and my apologies; guess it was a little too early in the morning and I had my FI and N/A numbers confused. Stock injectors will not handle any FI whatsoever. To get 450 rwhp forced induction would require at least 42lb/hr injectors. Stock injectors will handle 450 rwhp naturally aspirated, but only with a good tune. Even then, you would be at their limitation (100% duty cycle).

Again I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-25-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

So what are good sized injectors for lets say 500-550 rwhp? What brand?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

57lb/hr will support 700 flywheel hp or about 560 rwhp at 58psi and 80% duty cycle.

Tom
Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

What would a 42 or 57 lb/hr injector do to fuel mileage? I am looking at FI for my GTO, and i wanna know what effect this will have on fuel consumption.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Am I mistaken in thinking that the fact the ATI is a supercharger it's not controlled by a boost controller but rather the size of the pulley? If i'm wrong please feel free to correct me. If the ATI does function with a boost controller than this might make me consider it even more than I already was.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002yroneformula
Am I mistaken in thinking that the fact the ATI is a supercharger it's not controlled by a boost controller but rather the size of the pulley? If i'm wrong please feel free to correct me. If the ATI does function with a boost controller than this might make me consider it even more than I already was.
ATI is controlled by the size of the pulley.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
ATI is controlled by the size of the pulley.
Ok, that's what I thought. But just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something somewhere.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:50 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1bad2k2ta
Ponyhntr, you are correct. My bad and my apologies; guess it was a little too early in the morning and I had my FI and N/A numbers confused. Stock injectors will not handle any FI whatsoever. To get 450 rwhp forced induction would require at least 42lb/hr injectors. Stock injectors will handle 450 rwhp naturally aspirated, but only with a good tune. Even then, you would be at their limitation (100% duty cycle).

Again I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Thanks,
Tom
No problem, Tom! I figured you had to be in a different state of mind to say that!!

Quick Reply: How Difficult to Complete an ATI Procharger Kit?