Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

700bhp fiero. what will it take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700bhp fiero. what will it take?

ok, i have a stock ls6 block with Darton sleeves with a 4.135 bore. 4.00 stroke 4340 billet Eagle crank, Lunati 6.125 rods, forged 8.5:1 pistons, T-88 turbo, 70% efficient decent flowing intercooler and pump gas.... im wondering if i can push the stock block to 700bhp or maybe a bit more or if it will crash even with the darton sleeves... everything not mentioned will be stock except computer programing.

for the record this will all be in a fiero... engine mounted transversely in the rear as stock and turbo/intercooler up front, almost like an STS kit..... as for the tranny, i have no idea what i can use to hold up, so for now imma stick with the stock 5 speed and soon as i get a free minute imma swap in a svt ford focus 6spd (heared with minor mods it will hold up to that kinda hp...) but for now imma learn to keep my foot off the pedal whenever posible... maybe do a couple all out dyno runs then turn the boost back down until i fond something to hold the power... and please dont suggest remounting the engine up front or anything, gotta stay stock like mounting... everything can move around to make room but nothing can change position...

thanks for any info or suggestions, ill check back tomarrow to see what you all have to say
Old 02-06-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it will take 700 hp NO problem there are people with sleeved blocks running TONS of spray well over 700 total hp so youre fine, hp is hp in the end and turobs are the least destructive of the power adders as it comes on smoothly...and um please come take me for a ride when your done...that sounds like one of the sweetest rides ever...
Old 02-06-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

There are people well over 1000 hp with factory cubic inch stock block. No sleeves.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

right, people get worried about sleeves because they have dropped in the past in some motors. hence why hes worried. not that its weak, but that all that boost might make a sleeve drop. basically you stand that with or without boost.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

the darton sleeves are not like the dry sleeves that were previously done, i believe these interlocking wet sleeves cannot drop.
Darton was stated that this sleeve design has seen 6 or 7 seconds on some drag motors and have held up very well.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Teching In

hey thanks for all the info guys, i just wasnt sure if the stock aluminum block would puke or not.

anyway i will be starting to mount the engine in the fiero soon , shouldnt take long depending on how many probs i have to assess with the fiero engine craddle, but it looks fine sitting in the car still. as for the engine, i havnt touched it yet, still as stock as stock can be. im going to take it to the track 1st come spring with just the stock engine unless i get tired of waiting. after that im gonna pull the engine again, build it (i have a sperate block im going to do all the work to that already has darton sleeves installed) so im basically just going to be swapping the stock block out, reciprocating/rotating assembly and all for the built block. also im suprised nobody mentioned it as i forgot to myself, but im def. not gona be running stock injectors and such...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

What intercooler will you be running? There's not much room for an air/air. A spearco water/air worked well for me and for Ryan with his L67 turbo. Good luck!
--Bryson
Old 02-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

archie built a LS# fiero a few years ago... he's got all the adapters. I've installed a couple 350 and 305s in Fieros with his kits and a caddy 4.9. a saab 93 intercooler in a 2.8 turbo fits directly under the drivers side rear grate along with a honda civic radiator fan blowing air up out o fhte engine bay through the intercooler... all you have to do is unbolt the LS# intake and spin it around. for the same set up as stock. did you get the intsall kit from archie? what clutch are you using? you'll need to replace your rear wheel bearings. they'll break... i was only making 312lbft at the ground with my 2.8 nitrous car and busted a couple of them. are you on fiero.nl - fieroforum.com ? 1FST2M6 is my screen name over there.. you can do a search and find my old pics, dyno graphs and a bunch more from MylesF7 and GtBastard. (bro-in-law and friend with my old fiero)

Movie of me blowing up my 87 GT 2.8l.. (12.9 1/4)
http://home.ripway.com/2004-1/56431/...stdynoBOOM.mpa
Old 02-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

^^ I recognize you as 1FAST2M6

Here's a picture of my old intercooler set up. I actually think I've still got them if you're interested. I doubt a saab intercooler will give you the cooling you are looking for, and probably isn't sized well for a T88.

--Bryson
Attached Thumbnails 700bhp fiero. what will it take?-engine-air.jpg  
Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Fiero Power

Not sure if you and I have had this conversation, if not, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents, I have had 7 fieros, 1 3.4V6 and 1 Northstar. The frame will not deal with that power. You will have to tube the entire frame. In addition speeds of over 140 in the Fiero, will cause lift and the car will not hold to the ground because of the way the radiator is mounted.
The engine will not have a problem making the power, but the chassis will not deal with that power. Many people in the Fiero world have done more than 300HP, but to very honest, the 3800V6 Supercharged is the better motor for the car, and 300HP is the limit of safety in the car. The upgraded halfshafts lasted but the spindles did not. Under the 300Ft TQ, I literally split them in two under a hard launch.

Be Careful.

thanks for any info or suggestions, ill check back tomarrow to see what you all have to say[/QUOTE]
Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

In addition speeds of over 140 in the Fiero, will cause lift and the car will not hold to the ground because of the way the radiator is mounted
If you add some sort of vents in the hood to let air that travels through the radiator out it keeps the front end of the car more planted at higher speeds.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Also, a chin spoiler will help minimize the amount of air going under the car. I'm dealing with 400 whp and 385 wtq, but I don't drive the car terribly hard. Get on www.fiero.nl -- it's a great site with lots of information.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Teching In

yes, Brian, ive already discussed that part with you a few weeks ago, the frame will be gone in a few months, just hoping it will last the time being. like i said, im not gonna be beating the hell out of it or running full boost or even much at all until i deal with the drivetran/frame. i have ideas to fix these issues but nothing set in stone yet, gonna be more trial and error than anything.

as for the 140+, yes we already talked about that also, and other people here seem to be thinking the same as i was. a front lip and vents in the hood should be sufficient to keep the lift off the car, if not, there are plenty of hoods in the aftermarket for fiero's with big gapping holes in them to let the air out that goes throught the radiator. anyway, thanks for the warning Brian

as for the clutch, several people i have talked to have made a lot of suggestions but i havnt had a sec to look for one that will work for me. its a light car and unless i put slicks on it for the track (i wont be doing anything like that until i deal with the drivetrain) the tires should spin before i break, bend, twist or slip anything, so i wont be needing a completely moster clutch. until i start work on the engine itself i will run a stock vette or f-body clutch. that is if i dont have any problems getting it on the fiero tranny input shaft, but according to a guy i met online who has already done it, it shouldnt creat any problems.

for the intercooler, i havnt decided yet, i dont know exactly how im mounting the intercooler yet so i havnt decided what i will use. i do nkow, however, that it will be mounted in the front. im thinking about getting a better cooling radiator, moving it back just a hair and finding an intercooler that will fit in front of the radiator without blocking the whole thing from airflow. the intercooler right now is the least of my worries, as long as its high flowing and it fits without hindering anything else, it will work for me.

i didnt know archi made a LS fiero, never saw it mentioned on his site or anywhere else for that matter.

as you can all see this is a project far from finished... all the bigger details are worked out but almost none of the smaller ones. for now, if it breaks, ill fix it, and if it doesnt work, ill try something else. i have the darton sleeved block, and a completely stock LS1/computer/wiring harness. everything else being used on this project are either on order or need to be ordered when i get around to that part of the project. right now the 1st step is mounting the stock engine in the fiero.

Codey
Old 02-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Good luck with the 5spd. It will probably last a few days. If you put that thing on the dyno it will probably blow up when you do your pull with that kind of power. Not that I doubt you, but you will need to bolt up a 4t65e-hd or something of that form to hold up that kind of power. Also doing an engine swap can be very easily overlooked and what you have in front of you doesn't seem like much, but it will be a very complex swap. Good luck, and get some pics whenever you start.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Also -- think about the diameter of your intercooler pipe under the car. A 2.5" pipe on a car with 5.4" of cround clearance may not be a good idea. If I were you, I would probably run a nice water/air in the trunk, and have a decent sized radiator up front.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Teching In

hey man, good luck with the project. A couple of ideas though #1, a front mount isnt going to work. The amount of piping to put it up front, will create some wicked lag, and putting it in the back wont give it the airflow it needs. You would be better suited for a water/air like mine. I have the 2-230 spearco, thats rated to 1500 cfm. I am very impressed with its performance.

Another thing, transmission. Not sure about the focus transmission you spoke of, but a GM 5 speed, or any GM manual for that matter will definitely explode in no time. You might look into an auto. Have fun wiring that thing you might get ahold of loyde at fast fieros www.fastfieros.com he has experience with LS1 swaps.

BTW Archie hasnt yet completed his LS1 swap. Its still in the works.

heres some pics of my intercooler piping/setup

www.fieroX.com/intercooler1.jpg
www.fieroX.com/intercooler2.jpg
www.fieroX.com/intercooler3.jpg
www.fieroX.com/intercooler4.jpg
www.fieroX.com/icsetup.jpg
www.fieroX.com/icsetup2.jpg
Old 02-09-2005, 02:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

There is a user who has posted in the conversion forum, I think "LS1swap" and he has a LS1 Fiero in Illinois.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Teching In

By the time this swap is done we might have found and killed Osama. If you get it done I will fly in and take you out to Sonic.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rare87GT
By the time this swap is done we might have found and killed Osama. If you get it done I will fly in and take you out to Sonic.
oh the engine swap will def. be finished in due time, its the turbo system that bothers me... i know the way the car sits it all isnt going to fit. i intend to make it fit. im taking chassis fabrication classes at Wyotech, thats what i do all day long, for 9 1/2 hours a day, then i leave and go to high performance engine classes for another 5 hours. the engine will be swapped in school, i have all the time, materials and plenty of people around me who are a big help. and not just the instructors, some of the students up here are absolutely scary with the **** they can do.

anyway the tranny will be gone in no time, i know that, im hoping to have something else in there before i ever get around to making the turbo system. and if not, anything i break i can fix. any gears, gear clusters, spindles... i can make all of that on the machines in school. and if im out of school i know a few places i can have them made... one thing i do need to find is someone who can heat treat 4340 parts, as thats what i will be using if i have to remake any gears. but chances are i will have something that can hold the power in long before that. and as for the 4t65e-hd, no can do, i dont like driving auto's... not a performance thing, a personal preference thing... after all, this will be daily driven of course

but enough useless babble, thanks for the suggestions, i will probably consider a few of them, especially the water-to-air intercooler if i find i wont be able to make an ait-to-air fit the way i want it.

Codey
Old 02-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Well good luck with everything. Lets see some pics of the Fiero you are putting this motor in.

Quick Reply: 700bhp fiero. what will it take?