Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is this a good deal on a used D1-SC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is this a good deal on a used D1-SC?

I know a guy who wants to sell it for $1200 shipped and I really want to buy it. He said he has 7k-8k miles and a 3-year extended warantee. $1200 is as low as he will go. I thik they are about $2500 new. I don't want to pass this up because it's hard to find a used D1-SC for cheap, but if you guys think I can find one cheaper this week then let me know. Thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that the whole kit or just the head unit. Got my D1 kit, 12 rib,twin intercooled, with 1k miles on it, d3 bearing upgrade from ati, 6btm ignition, 50lbs injectors for 3k.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's just the head unit
Old 02-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Launching!

double check on it, cause the D-1sc doesn't come with any warranty. only the P-1 does.

I will sell u mine for $2K. only has like 5k miles on it or so.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

You can pick up a new D1 HU from a certain ATI dealer/vendor for right around 2K. I wouldn't buy ANY used unit for more than a grand - doesn't matter how little miles it is stated it saw.

Just like a car - price you can get for a new car once it leaves the showroom is quite a bit lower than what you owe - I didn't make the rules - just the way it is. All these guys asking close to new prices for a used SC are way out there - but of course, as long as people keep snatching them up at that price, why not?

Last edited by 1QUIKWS6; 02-07-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't really know about the price, but I will say this:

If you're planning on buying something that expensive, I HIGHLY recommend you see it in real life before you pay. Don't just send this bozo a check or wire him money, because he my very well then decide to fall of the face of the planet!!

Trust me.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Don't really know about the price, but I will say this:

If you're planning on buying something that expensive, I HIGHLY recommend you see it in real life before you pay. Don't just send this bozo a check or wire him money, because he my very well then decide to fall of the face of the planet!!

Trust me.
This guy is a police officer in Atlanta who made a very transaction with another person I know who has very good references. He said that he is a good buyer as well.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Cap't USA,
why do I have to be a Bozo, I don't believe in ripping people, if you got burned in the past, just mature a little and learn from your mistakes...
Old 02-07-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATI Blower for Sale

Let me try and educate those who seem to be very ill informed.

1st, the blower that is for sale, has an extended warranty on it, and procharger said that is transferable.

2nd. If the head unit is working on the car now, how would there be anything wrong with it by putting it on another car.

The person in question is selling his, because he bought mine. I sent mine back to Procharger for a check over, and they wanted to replace the gaskets, so I let them, $297.50 and I paid for the cost of the seals. That is the kind of person that I am.

The blower that is for sale, has been through the same thing. It is used. That means that it is not new in the box. Why in the world would you buy a used blower for $2000 when you can buy the same one for $1200.00 and at that price it is $200 off what we were origionally asking. In my opinion that price is way too low for what it is. The qualtiy of the blower does not justify the depreaction that the list is putting on it. IMO is is worth at least $1600. The price that was offered to you is more than I would have offered. A blower consist of an impeller, gears, and bearings, if is was lubricated proberly, and not overspun, it is as good as new. PERIOD.

There is absolute nothing wrong with getting multiple opinions. but to be asking a group like this list, is not going to help you, as most on the list dont have a clue as to what they are doing anyway. I am blown away at the continued bad advice given on this forum on a variety of subjects.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by APD*98SS
Cap't USA,
why do I have to be a Bozo, I don't believe in ripping people, if you got burned in the past, just mature a little and learn from your mistakes...

No offence buddy, please don't take it that way. I didn't realize he knew you and / or had close enough ties that he was going to be 100% safe. I did grow up after my ..... experiance. But I try to help others along the way. I tried to warn my buddy at work, and he didn't listen..... $2500 dollars later, he still had no body kit.

No harm, no foul. Just trying to help a brother out.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch blower rotation/direction and make sure it matches your car's setup. Matters for Vortech as they have both, not as sure for ATI.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

as most on the list dont have a clue as to what they are doing anyway
Oh, I definitely have a clue as to what I'm doing - and I have been doing it for 28 yrs on one type of car or another. The FI cars I have owned include a Paxton, Magna Charger, B&M, BDS, & now ATI. In fact, at one point I was the Sr. Designer for a company that manufactured SC's.

He asked for an opinion as to the asking price of the blower - I gave mine. I would not pay that price for a used blower - if I didn't have the $$ - I would wait till I did to buy new. Now if the blower had never been used, and was NIB, it would be a different story.

As a for instance, the 1st blower I owned was the Paxton. They were outfitted on certain production cars way back when. I had it on a Chevy 383. It was NEW, but after about 200 miles it locked up solid. Without going into great detail, it had to due with the tolerances & how the ball drive was set up @ the factory. I promptly received a new replacement and never had a problem again. All SC's employ very tight tolerances on internal components in order to make boost efficiently - without knowing how it was treated/taken care of you could soon have a fragged impeller that spews broken bits thru your engine.

My comments are not meant to be directly related to this case - just in general & based on my experience. And as a side note, I would not buy a used torque converter, transmission, or rear end at any price.