Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boost questions for boost experts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005 | 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS00Blue
While I certainly don't subscribe to everything Brian W says, and I think PUREVL owns a do-nothing dyno queen and is a punk that runs his mouth with no real track times to back up his 1000 rwhp mean machine, but YOU SIR ARE TOTALLY INCORRECT! The effect of high octane is that it slows the flame propogation and cools the combustion event. That is the reason that low compression cars slow with too high an octane in the tank, and high compression, boosted and/or juiced cars speed up... because they can apply more of the same with no fear of detonation. They do so because octane controls the burn much more effectively. That is the end of the factual discussion.

PS-
While I know that my statements regarding MY OPINION of PUREVL and Brian W may instigate, I want them to know that I respect them because they are two of the few that are trying to advance the LS1 sport. Please don't take it personally that I don't share most of your views, I still respect the effort. Thanks!

SC-
Why are you speaking to me? Do I know you? Mind your business I didnt say Bryan was wrong I just told him to come off better. We happen to be cool with each other so mind your manners ya ethug.I have at least 30 runs with my setups, only one untested is the sts which was finished after the track closed? Sorry I didnt get the times right away . I have gone 127 at 11.5 with street tires with the d1? Does that help? As for me being a punk running my mouth, you should really really find out who I am, theres plenty on here that know me. PM me anytime you would like to meet me when your around.
I would LOVE to meet you.

Last edited by PurEvl; 02-14-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2005 | 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PurEvl
Why are you speaking to me? Do I know you? Mind your business I didnt say Bryan was wrong I just told him to come off better. We happen to be cool with each other so mind your manners ya ethug.I have at least 30 runs with my setups, only one untested is the sts which was finished after the track closed? Sorry I didnt get the times right away . I have gone 127 at 11.5 with street tires with the d1? Does that help? As for me being a punk running my mouth, you should really really find out who I am, theres plenty on here that know me. PM me anytime you would like to meet me when your around.
I would LOVE to meet you.
I am speaking to you because of your obnoxious opinions with inflammatory language when you've shown nothing with your STS. Fine, "Tail-pipe-turbos" are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but you've shown nothing but dyno crap. Show a time! 11's with the bazillion rwhp that you claim is pure crap, and anyone that has a computer knows it. With your "claimed" hp, you should be running a 150 mph or better, and mph has NOTHING to do with traction. You're a joke posting a claimed time with a D1 when you're espousing the tail-pipe turbo. YOU ARE A JOKE!

As for meeting me, you are better off behind your keyboard. I am way more experienced than you'll be able to handle. That's a fact. I know that because "there are more with us, than there are with" you! Figure that out sonny.

I baited you and I knew you would react even though I said I respected what you were trying to do, because you're a "just barely post-teen" thug punk. It's what you come off as. You never saw the props, you just got caught in the OPINION. Why? Because you're a teen aged punk, and that's all you are. Grow up!

SC-

Last edited by SS00Blue; 02-14-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2005 | 11:06 PM
Banned

I think maybe a mod should step in on this one and put some water on this fire that might start. I realy dont see a need for this thread to take a turn. The information was good up until this point.

Rick
Old 02-14-2005 | 11:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Mother
Tell your children not to walk my way
Tell your children not to hear my words
What they mean
What they say
Mother

Mother
Can you keep them in the dark for life
Can you hide them from the waiting wolrd
Oh mother

Father
Do you wanna bang heads with me
Do you wanna feel evrything
Oh father

Not about to see your light
And if you wanna find hell with me
I can show you what it's like
Till your bleeding

Not about to see your light
And if you wanna find hell with me
I can show you what it's
Yea

Not sure why that song popped into my head while reading this last page but I found it fitting.

Bryan, to get back on topic with this thread. Do you feel that he could run 16psi on pump gas and make great power or would he be better off running lower psi with more timing etc? This is if he is doing nothing fancy with the 6.0L heads and using the stock cam.
Old 02-15-2005 | 01:22 AM
Banned

The stock cam will be the restriction with timing. If he ups the cam specs and changes a few things, then he can get away with more timing and changing the events in the chamber. But if its stock, the best bet is more boost less timing.

Rick
Old 02-15-2005 | 01:49 AM
On The Tree

yes...the whole point of me slapping these 6.0L heads on the 5.3 block is because its gonna be cheap as hell...dirt cheap..next to nothing. if i can avoid it id rather not buy high flowing heads for more than i payed for my engine...a cam is a good possibility though, at least with more duration and lift than the stock truck cam. the exhaust isnt going to be very free flowing either, it will be manifolds upside down and backwards which i dont think matters much before the turbo anyways because the turbo is a huge restriction. also i will have shitty stock twin grand national intercoolers and grand national turbos, the intercoolers will be in direct airflow though. im on a mission to make the cheapest twin turboed gen III SBC ever. what are my best options?
Old 02-15-2005 | 02:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
None of this matters is reliablity is not a concern to you, again you can do anything you want, it is your car.
Reliability is a huge concern of mine. My Supra was my only car for 5 years, and I was pleased with the total reliability of the engine, and it only saw race gas 4 or 5 times.

Well there is the right way and the wrong way.....I choose not to do anything halfassed.
I disagree. There are many, many ways, and none is "wrong". Sure some are stupid, and don't work, but there are many ways to get power that work even if you may not agree with them. For many weekend street/strip racers race gas is the best option. Not everyone cares if they make 800whp on the street (although I do).

This is the most irritating thing you said, and it is getting old everytime I hear it. You cannot apply supra, viper, hemi or any other logic to LS1's it is not the same, and until you have proved me wrong with a LS1, or LT1 of your own, take your story somewhere else.
Touche, I have no desire to turbo a LS1. But last I read books on ICEs, 2-valve V8s knock the same as 4-valve I6s. Autoignition of the end-gases caused by heat, pressure, and not enough octane.

And I am still curious as to what email did you read where I stated that I had a flat pistons.
I thought I read it somewhere here, my mistake.

Unfortunately if you want to drive it on the street and get good gas mileage, and have good drivablity and then take it to the track on Saturday, you have to follow some basic engine building rules.
Yup, exactly. Are you going to disagree that sometimes its better (for this goal) to increase boost (ie backpressure in the intake manifold) instead of engine air (volume) flow? Turning up the boost does not hurt drivability, but installing a hotter cam does. Its all a compromise, you can't say its always better to run less boost and more volumetric flow. And saying racegas is a crutch is oftentimes untrue. It CAN be a crutch, sure. Not everyone has the same goals as you. Effecient isn't always better or faster.

Supra's are nothing more than wanna be's, take your story to a tuner forum. We are not interested.
Uh huh.

Last edited by Grant B; 02-15-2005 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2005 | 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS00Blue
I am speaking to you because of your obnoxious opinions with inflammatory language when you've shown nothing with your STS. Fine, "Tail-pipe-turbos" are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but you've shown nothing but dyno crap. Show a time! 11's with the bazillion rwhp that you claim is pure crap, and anyone that has a computer knows it. With your "claimed" hp, you should be running a 150 mph or better, and mph has NOTHING to do with traction. You're a joke posting a claimed time with a D1 when you're espousing the tail-pipe turbo. YOU ARE A JOKE!

As for meeting me, you are better off behind your keyboard. I am way more experienced than you'll be able to handle. That's a fact. I know that because "there are more with us, than there are with" you! Figure that out sonny.

I baited you and I knew you would react even though I said I respected what you were trying to do, because you're a "just barely post-teen" thug punk. It's what you come off as. You never saw the props, you just got caught in the OPINION. Why? Because you're a teen aged punk, and that's all you are. Grow up!

SC-

hey internet warrior, lets not highjack his thread, take it to PM with me if you would like to continue this.
Old 02-15-2005 | 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Slowhawk on here preachs exactly what your saying Bryan, hes always telling me no more boost. Build the motor to make maximum power at least amount of boost possible.
Old 02-15-2005 | 11:35 AM
Launching!

This is where you messed up, Efficiency is always better and faster. Every time. That is the whole point of the engine concept. The more air that you can efficiency move through the engine the more power you make. Thus my point. If you have a car making 16lbs at 500hp, and another one making 30lbs at 500hp. The 1st one is going to be more reliable. Where in the world did you get the idea that efficiency didnt make power. That is engine building 101.
I was speaking of thermodynamic effeciency, which is an area where civics kick our ***

All I am saying is in order to increase volumetric flow (is this what you mean be effeciency?) you often make trade-offs in drivability (unless you can increase displacement). Example: Driver A wants a stock idle, while driver B doesn't mind some lope and surge. Both want 600whp, and neither can afford a larger displacement motor. Driver A needs a smaller cam and more boost to achieve that goal.

Of course if you want maximum power, you would increase the engine's natural airflow and boost at the same time.
Old 02-15-2005 | 06:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

I don't disagree with your comments about folks fixating on 'boost' but I do disagree with your advocacy of pushing high hp combos with just pump gas and nothing else. Until you make a few high mph blasts and the block lives, how can you say that 822rwhp was safe on 93 pump gas?
Old 02-15-2005 | 10:21 PM
FormerVendor

-Public Service Announcement-

If you've read everything up to this point, take it with a grain of salt.
Old 02-15-2005 | 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INTMD8
-Public Service Announcement-

If you've read everything up to this point, take it with a grain of salt.
Why, are you going to expound on your mis-informed opinions on coatings, or can you finally admit your previous views were completely misguided?
Old 02-15-2005 | 10:29 PM
FormerVendor

Why?

Because you, and others, have posted more bullshit than can be safely waded through.

As for ceramic coatings, you can start a new thread about it and copy/paste my old posts into it and get owned all over again.

Last edited by qqwqeqwrqwqtq; 02-15-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2005 | 10:56 PM
On The Tree

here is my situation

im looking to make the best power i can with stock parts mostly, because they happen to be the cheapest. i dont need 800-1000 rwhp, ill be happy with ~500 rwhp. this engine (5.3L LM7) will end up in a 2700 lb rx7 whether i turbo it or not, and should be fun either way. i was thinking about an LT1 at first because it was a little more in my price range than an LS1, but these truck engines can be had for around the same price and fwhp, with better technology and most if not all of the LS1 performance upgrades available. not to mention being able to drop the compression with cheap heads if you want.

the whole idea of me using stock heads, turbos and intercoolers from a 6.0L truck, and a grand national respectively, was to build a cost effective, powerful FI motor whether efficient or not. probably the most i would do in the way of opening up flow to the cylinders would be some home porting/polishing on the heads and throttle body and a cam.

maybe we could bring the thread back on subject talking about the best course of action with this setup would be for 500 rwhp

(like what i should do about cams)
Old 02-15-2005 | 11:00 PM
Launching!

Grant, my friend, what is up with all this tuner mess. The only tuner car that would even remotely give me a hard time is a suped up Evo. Supra boy can bring it on.
Well, you don't sound that familiar with imports. Evos are 2.0L cars, and while impressive for their displacement, are still 2.0L cars. They have basically the same motor as DSMs, but are heavier. There are many more fast Supras, but none of these cars are fast as yours on pump gas for obvious reasons. But I no longer own a Supra, and don't really care much about them anymore.

"How much horsepower can I possible achieve with the following, what is requried to get there?"...We should not be promoting run up the boost on the car to make the power.
No argument here.

The more air that I can move through the system the more power I make. Boost has nothing to do with any of it.
Technically, the density of the air has everything to do with it. Once you get the motor to the point where it can't flow any more air on its own, boost is the only alternative. And to reach that point, you typically have to rev the hell out of the motor. This puts a strain on things as well. In most motors, they say the strain on rods and the crank is mostly due to inertial effects of RPM than the actual combustion force that is increased with boost. I wouldn't want to increase the flow of the motor to its absolute maximum any more than I would try and run the absolute maximum amount of boost.

Last edited by Grant B; 02-16-2005 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2005 | 12:52 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Vortec7,

You can achieve you goal with the stuff you have stated NP. I did it in my truck using much the same combo except I had a rear mount turbo. If you can get the tune safe which it sounds like you are on the right track then no reason you can't make 500rwhp on such a small drivetrain.

I had a cam and meth injection but I am using so little meth right now it's not making a huge difference.
Old 02-16-2005 | 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Vortec7,

You can achieve you goal with the stuff you have stated NP. I did it in my truck using much the same combo except I had a rear mount turbo. If you can get the tune safe which it sounds like you are on the right track then no reason you can't make 500rwhp on such a small drivetrain.

I had a cam and meth injection but I am using so little meth right now it's not making a huge difference.
this is refreshing after four pages. what did you use to tune? did the 6.0 heads kill your quench? how about throttle response? what alky kit are you using and cam specs?

edit: almost forgot you had a rear mounted turbo, throttle response probably wont be the same...also, what did you calculate that your static CR was after the 6.0 heads?
Old 02-16-2005 | 02:37 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I had Rick at Synergy tune it using HP Tuners I believe. The new setup will use the Speed Density progaming from HPT.

The 6.0L head dropped my CR to about 8.6-8.7 from my calculations using stock gaskets. Using Cometics I believe it might be between 8.5-8.6. Not sure about quench, I don't know much about that stuff.

I had an oversized turbo and it was in the rear so my throttle response was ok at times and at others it was kinda poor. Like just driving around town it was great and I had to be carefulk how much throttle to give because I would start seeing boost and it climbs fast once it starts. Now getting onto a freeway was a PITA! I would give it the normal amount of gas you would while entering an onramp but it would sit at 5psi and feel like I was towing a 10lb trailer. The power was fine but it would seem like it was making alot of noise to go nowhere. It pretty much only did that on onramp situtations though. Normal driving was fine or if I left the boost gauge on high so I could see more boost (at part throttle) then it would get quite fun quick fast.

On my new motor we are going to bump it back up to about 9:1 for a lil better streetability. Since we are building a whole new motor we can pick the CR easy. On a stock motor that you don't want to tear into the 6.0L heads are a good way to go BUT the 5.3L is only 9.5:1 CR stock so you might wanna try that out and see how that works for ya if streetability is a major concern and you're only looking to make 500rwhp.
Old 02-16-2005 | 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am going to give you the chance to prove me wrong. Why dont you tell our audience how much boost you generate to make your 847RWHP and you and I have had this discussion before about pump gas, so I know you are using race gas to make those numbers so we will not even bring that into the equation and lets see how efficient your motor is. Track time is useless information for the topic of this conversation. We also need your compression Ratio for the conversation also.
Bryan you cant even compare your motor/heads to his, your c5r is 10 times the effiecency of an lt1.

Quick Reply: boost questions for boost experts...