Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boost questions for boost experts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005 | 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Vortec,
We did some flywheel hp tests with a 5.3 that was completly stock except for headers and a Rotrex c38 supercharger. I ran the pulleys for 9 psi and produced a touch over 500 at the flywheel. The 5.3 is a great engine in stock form and as you know will respond well to common mods.
Good choice on engine.
Sorry your thread went south.

Kurt
Originally Posted by vortec_7
this is refreshing after four pages. what did you use to tune? did the 6.0 heads kill your quench? how about throttle response? what alky kit are you using and cam specs?

edit: almost forgot you had a rear mounted turbo, throttle response probably wont be the same...also, what did you calculate that your static CR was after the 6.0 heads?
Old 02-16-2005 | 05:11 PM
Banned

My car makes 847rwhp @ 20lbs of boost. It also makes 847rwtq @20lbs of boost (what, 100 more than yours?).

This was also with a 218/218 114lsa cam (that's what a "small" cam is lol), and 357ci. Oh yeah, and an LT1.

The dyno wouldn't load the car enough, but estimating from it's performance at the track, it is probably right around 940rwhp @24psi. (right at peak efficiency for both turbos)

I guess I'm pretty happy with my inefficent setup that drives like stock and traps 149+.

As far as LS1's, the 427 in our shop car made 920+rwhp @16psi through a T400 and smaller cam than yours.

What was the question?

-Jim
Old 02-16-2005 | 06:00 PM
On The Tree

dyno queens!!! lol j/k. dyno results arent as significant as good ol' mph or et. you all should face off on the strip to settle it...no matter who's car has more power or is more efficient, that will tell who's dick is in fact bigger...

Old 02-16-2005 | 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Takes alot more than a dyno queen to trap 149........Some numbers always tell the story.

Kurt
dyno queens!!! lol j/k. dyno results arent as significant as good ol' mph or et. you all should face off on the strip to settle it...no matter who's car has more power or is more efficient, that will tell who's dick is in fact bigger...

Old 02-16-2005 | 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

so then, will we be seeing everyone in atlanta for the year one event?they will have a dynno AND a drag strip. i would expect to see all of the cars driven to the event. then we could check gas mileage to prove efficiency. just my .02!
Old 02-17-2005 | 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 427
Vortec,
We did some flywheel hp tests with a 5.3 that was completly stock except for headers and a Rotrex c38 supercharger. I ran the pulleys for 9 psi and produced a touch over 500 at the flywheel. The 5.3 is a great engine in stock form and as you know will respond well to common mods.
Good choice on engine.
Sorry your thread went south.

Kurt
what would you recommend as far as cams for a ~10 psi application on a stock 5.3? think i should drop the compression ratio with ls1 or 6.0 heads (9.0:1, 8.5:1)? im just looking for the best way to 500 rwhp on pump gas. i would settle for 400 rwhp n/a though if it could be done much much easier than an FI setup. i dont know much about these 5.3's, the best ways to mod them, and what they can take. it seems like there are an awful lot of truck guys using FI and nitrous on these motors though, so they seem to be tough.
Old 02-17-2005 | 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Vortec,
You should call Terry @ Cam Motion on your cam question. I would try and keep the camshaft on the small side to aid in comfortable drive. If you can afford to change the heads to lower ratio that would help your cause also. You could probably get to 500rwhp with the stock pistons if you are carefull with the tuning, forged pistons would add a degree of safety. The 5.3 block can be bored to 3.9 inches to bring your displacement to 5.7 in the future.

Good luck with your project.

Kurt
what would you recommend as far as cams for a ~10 psi application on a stock 5.3? think i should drop the compression ratio with ls1 or 6.0 heads (9.0:1, 8.5:1)? im just looking for the best way to 500 rwhp on pump gas. i would settle for 400 rwhp n/a though if it could be done much much easier than an FI setup. i dont know much about these 5.3's, the best ways to mod them, and what they can take. it seems like there are an awful lot of truck guys using FI and nitrous on these motors though, so they seem to be tough.
Old 02-17-2005 | 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
Time at the track has 0 percent to do with this thread, take it somewhere else. We all know that if our cars weight the same, and have the same power, we will do the same at the track. Everyone has the same opprotunity to hook up and not hook up. This is about efficiency. This is what happens when people begin to not understand the conversation. They begin to take it somewhere else.
oh sure now you say it after someone attacks my so called dyno queen, thanks alot
Old 02-17-2005 | 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Bryan,

Not sure how I got off on this tangent. If you want to start another thread about it, I'll tell you everything you want to know about my car.

It just bothers me that you talk down to everyone, and yet alot of what you post is 100% bullshit. I just got here too late in the game to respond to it all.
Old 02-17-2005 | 08:36 PM
8 Second Club

I am not talking down to anyone. And if you think engine efficency doesnt matter, then I guess you have proved my point about this forum.

This thread was created because someone wanted to know what their engine could do. I will repost the question on a new thread just for you.
Your 800+ rwhp c5r car performs like a cam-only ls1. I bet it's because the cam-only ls1 is more "efficient."

I think I need a lobotomy to erase any trace of your thinking. Maybe we can get a group purchase on it!
Old 02-17-2005 | 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

LMAO

I almost fell out of my chair!

Kurt
Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
Your 800+ rwhp c5r car performs like a cam-only ls1. I bet it's because the cam-only ls1 is more "efficient."

I think I need a lobotomy to erase any trace of your thinking. Maybe we can get a group purchase on it!
Old 02-17-2005 | 10:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Call Terry but order the cam thru Kurt.

Terry has a truck himself that he's talked about turbocharging so I'm sure he has some thoughts on the matter.
Old 02-17-2005 | 10:59 PM
8 Second Club

You know you and I have had several conversations, and you seem to be a smart fella. Why dont you try and explain to me what is inefficient about my setup so I can get it fixed. Please enlighten me , I must be completely missing the point.

The car makes all this power
gets 25 mpg on the highway
does all of this on the stock pcm
passes emissions in NC, and by the way passed a tail pipe test
does it with no problem on pump gas, no nitrous, no water, no meth, no alch.and does so on closed loop.

you've made 1500hp motors. Surely you can explain to me what is so wrong about my setup seeing that I seem to be so retarded about it. All I can tell from all of this is that everyone is so hell bent on me not have going to the track. It is winter here and the tracks are closed, I dont have a choice.

Please feel free to dump on me here. Please also let me know who said this was the drag racers forum.
Damnit I thought you were going to give some more turbo lessons. I even had my pencils sharpened and college-ruled notebooks open in preparation.

Your setup is the bestest ever. No one can touch it. You are a god. Is that all we have to say to stop you from "enlightening" us anymore?
Old 02-17-2005 | 11:41 PM
On The Tree

damn this thread has gone crazy...i was just joking about you all going to the track. but if your goal in the end is to have a fast car, then track stats matter. no matter the efficiency of the setup, whoever gets to the end of the track first is the winner.
Old 02-18-2005 | 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Explaining anything to you would be difficult at best. Lucky for me that is not my job.
This thread was about a turbo 5.3 for low dollars. You have filled it with worthless postings that will not help vortec7 in his quest for low dollar power. Your postings are interesting to me in a Jerry Springer trailer park kinda way, they entertain.

For that I thank you.

Kurt
You know you and I have had several conversations, and you seem to be a smart fella. Why dont you try and explain to me what is inefficient about my setup so I can get it fixed. Please enlighten me , I must be completely missing the point.

The car makes all this power
gets 25 mpg on the highway
does all of this on the stock pcm
passes emissions in NC, and by the way passed a tail pipe test
does it with no problem on pump gas, no nitrous, no water, no meth, no alch.and does so on closed loop.

you've made 1500hp motors. Surely you can explain to me what is so wrong about my setup seeing that I seem to be so retarded about it. All I can tell from all of this is that everyone is so hell bent on me not have going to the track. It is winter here and the tracks are closed, I dont have a choice.

Please feel free to dump on me here. Please also let me know who said this was the drag racers forum.
Old 02-18-2005 | 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 427
Explaining anything to you would be difficult at best. Lucky for me that is not my job.
This thread was about a turbo 5.3 for low dollars. You have filled it with worthless postings that will not help vortec7 in his quest for low dollar power. Your postings are interesting to me in a Jerry Springer trailer park kinda way, they entertain.

For that I thank you.

Kurt
Well with that said, I removed all of my post from this thread. I would not want to be responsible for you hurting yourself falling out of a chair.

I would assume that you made that comment, because I chose to not have you build my engine and I chose to not have you build my engine because you said

"It could not be done and pass emissions" - remember that conversaiton? I still have the emails.

I had money in hand, Lingenfelter, MTI, and morgan motorsports all said it could not be done. There is a right way and a wrong way, I started with a very simple repsonse and others chose to jump my proven ideas. I was defending myself.

Well Jerry, I get the last laugh. Mr almighty engine builder. Based on what you told me, I am not sure that there is anything useful you could share. Its a shame because I had more respect for you than that. Not that it mattered what I thought anyway.
Old 02-18-2005 | 11:07 AM
8 Second Club

Well with that said, I removed all of my post from this thread. I would not want to be responsible for you hurting yourself falling out of a chair.

I would assume that you made that comment, because I chose to not have you build my engine and I chose to not have you build my engine because you said

"It could not be done and pass emissions" - remember that conversaiton? I still have the emails.

I had money in hand, Lingenfelter, MTI, and morgan motorsports all said it could not be done. There is a right way and a wrong way, I started with a very simple repsonse and others chose to jump my proven ideas. I was defending myself.

Well Jerry, I get the last laugh. Mr almighty engine builder. Based on what you told me, I am not sure that there is anything useful you could share. Its a shame because I had more respect for you than that. Not that it mattered what I thought anyway.

I guarantee Kurt has forgot more about forced induction than you will ever know.

The only SAD thing is that you are the only person that cannot see that. You CLAIM you make all this hp and do this and that, but I think you're full of it and I don't think I'm the only one. You're merely a pompous know-nothing who paints a facade of knowledge to cloud the fact that you lack any real knowledge on the subject.

Next time you want to post about something, don't!
Old 02-18-2005 | 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

haha, i thought i was going crazy, i wondered where they were getting all these quotes from you from.
Old 02-18-2005 | 01:28 PM
On The Tree

yeah i was wondering how the hell it went from 5 pages to 4...
Old 02-18-2005 | 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
Damnit I thought you were going to give some more turbo lessons. I even had my pencils sharpened and college-ruled notebooks open in preparation.

Your setup is the bestest ever. No one can touch it. You are a god. Is that all we have to say to stop you from "enlightening" us anymore?
Home Grown big lips,

One more thing before I go, I am not sure about Jim and his car, but you can bring your broken **** to charlotte anytime for hometown smacking.

You can shut the f*** right back up.

Quick Reply: boost questions for boost experts...