Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit

I wanted to clarify several posts that have been made by a former employee of QMP regarding the first two manifolds which we built for QMP.

It has been stated by Rob that we (Stainless Works) incorrectly built the first two manifolds and that it was our fault. This is absolutely untrue. We built them with the tubing sized the way we were told by Rob would be OK. He was well aware of this and approved it. We did not arbitrarily change the size of the wastegate piping from the prototype-at the time we did not have a way to make the long sweeping bend that was on the prototype, so we notified Rob and he approved the change. After the manifolds were built, he then (or his customers) found out there was a problem and we had to find a way top build them with the smaller tube. We did, and all of then from there on were built properly and worked well.

I wanted to clear the air and make sure people knew that Rob was well aware of this change and we did not build anything wrong-we built it with his approval, blessing, and full knowledge of what we were doing.

Anyone who has dealt with us knows that we will admit when we make a mistake and fix any problem a customer may have. It really irritates me that we are being blamed for another persons failure and mistakes. I would have responded to this sooner but my wife was in the hospital for the past two weeks and obviously she and my family have to come first.

If there is still a manifold with the wrong plumbing on it, call us and we can discuss it.

Thanks
Al Noe
Stainless Works
Old 02-10-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

I have only heard good things about you and your company.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have one with the wrong tube want to fix it for free
Old 02-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Sponsor

Kaos

Call me at 800-878-3635 X3. We will help you any way we can.

Thanks
Al
Old 02-11-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, ill give you a buz next week thanks
Old 02-11-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Al,

Thanks for your input. The truth is that I was never made aware of the problem and up until I saw the previous post, didn't know my manifold was too small. KAOS did buy my first kit and was also unaware of the problem with it because I was unaware as well. I feel badly for KAOS and would like to offer to help make up for the issue if it is warranted.

BTW, I was never concerned about your work, and was pretty sure in my own mind that you in fact had built the manifold exactly as you had been told. I have no intention of getting into this except to say I support your version of the facts.

It is funny finding out after the fact that I was the first or second customer (in his own words) to recieve this this kit as I was told (in his own words) that at least 20 other people were already running it at the time.

Once again clarification is good.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks i think we can get something figured out
Old 02-11-2005, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

my qmp manifold primaries are cracked, how much to repair.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Could I see some pics of the manifolds. sorry just wonder what the problem is.
Ricky
Old 02-11-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ruquik
my qmp manifold primaries are cracked, how much to repair.
I can't talk about the repair price for the cracks. What I can tell you is what caused them and what you should do to prevent future problems.

For starters the manifolds are quite thin as per original spec and the turbo itself free floats of the end of the manifold. The problem is; On each heat cycle of the engine the manifolds heat and cool and the weight of the turbo causes flex (like a whip), over time the manifolds begin to stress crack and leak. If you want to prevent furture occurances of manifold cracks and extend the life of you system you need to fab a support to hold the turbo firmly in place. I would recommend that given the location of the turbo and the fact the kit requires relocation of the alternator you need fab up a support bracket for the turbo and mount it to the old alternator point. What this accomplishes is a properly mounted system, where the turbo, manifold and engine move together as one piece extending it's life.

I actually looked at doing this before I sold the turbo kit and aside from some fabbing with a good fabricator it was an inexpensive solution.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only problem I've come across with mine is the cracking welds on the primaries; heard Rob's side of the story as well. Either way, thanks for your post, and your willingness to correct any flaws.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I picked up a kit from Al for ZAngel's car (her Xmas present), and we'll be installing soon..

Here's some pics of the kit:
Attached Thumbnails Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-motordrivers.jpg   Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-motorpass.jpg   Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-manifoldbottom.jpg   Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-manifoldflange.jpg   Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-manifoldside.jpg  

Old 02-11-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

More pics.....
Attached Thumbnails Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-xover1.jpg   Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-xover2.jpg   Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-ipipe.jpg   Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-downpipe.jpg   Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-bovpipe.jpg  

Old 02-11-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

... and a couple more... This alt. bracket is a template I made up quickly. I still have to weld it all up permanently..
Attached Thumbnails Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-icpipe.jpg   Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit-altbracket.jpg  
Old 02-11-2005, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AlNoe

Can you PM me pricing for the hotside parts? Thanks

Frank

BTW, what gauge of tubing is that? 321?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is QMP still around? I noticed they are not a sponsor over at the "other" forum...
Old 02-12-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InvisibleSun
Is QMP still around? I noticed they are not a sponsor over at the "other" forum...
Nope. out of biz.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Sponsor

Warbird is abosolutely right. You want to take the weight of the turbo off of the manifold. Heat cycling and the weight of the turbo are not a good thing to have beating up the manifold.

We will repair any cracked manifolds for any former QMP/LS1 MS customers at time and material-I can't quote an exact number because it depends on where the crack is, if we can weld it, if tubes need to be replaced, etc.

If just the tubes need to be rewelded to the flange, it may be $100 or so-our shop rate is $65 per hour, so I am guessing it would take 1 1/2 hours to reweld the manifold primaries. If it takes less we will bill less. We will help in any way we can.

Thanks
Al Noe
Stainless Works

Quick Reply: Clarification on QMP/LS1 turbo kit