Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

OIL-PCV-BREATHERS?What works?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OIL-PCV-BREATHERS?What works?

It would be nice to have this as a sticky. As it is the on thing I still can't get fixed.

What is everones setup for PCV, breathers, catch cans,ect...
To solve the oil everywhere in the engine bay or everywhere in the intake. I have seen some people block of the port in the TB and some people put K&N breathers on each side of the valve covers.

I would bet everone has had some level of oil/blow by problems.

I have tryed
checkvalves in the PCV
Breather tank--not bad--
K&N breathers on each side
EVAC tube to the exhaust--not bad but alot of smoke
LS6 motor with the pcv in under the intake and breathers and breather tank

What will work EVAC pump to pull vac out of the motor?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:56 AM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also need help with this... What about just venting it out to the ground?

How did you get two filters on both valve covers? The drivers side, I'm not sure where to put one.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WELL this is what I did BUT I got an LT1. I pluged the side of the throtel body. Then I placed a T on top of the Valve cover where the vent line was (that connected to the TB). On one side of the T i placed a check valve that only lets air INTO the line and I placed a small filter (K&N) on the other side of the check valve. That lets clean air into the block when its needed. ON the other side of the T i ran a Line all the way back to about 2 feet from the end of the exause tip (AFTER my STS turbo)with another check valve that only lets gasses OUT and wont allow the exaust to back into the motor. This is intended to act as a venturie or sorts and pull air out of the motor when the exause Rushes past. SO far It seems to work? At Idol the PCV can get fresh air from one side of the T and at BOOST the Pressure is vented threw the other side of the T to the exaust pipe. all of my lines and fitting are 3/4". Only Oil leak/problem I am having now is my STS return line oil cap. This will soon be resolved as I just got as solid Bullit (sp?) Oil cap which I plan to tap the STS line into. The oil is being pushed threw the 2 piece stock plastic can under boost right now. I hope the new cap will resolve this problem. We will see? AGAIN this is on a LT1.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Overview:
99-02 valve covers
2 TTI breathers, they are 1/2 shielded
-One is in the back of the driver's side valve cover
-One is in the front of the passenger side valve cover

That's it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=20776
Old 02-12-2005, 11:09 PM
...with cheese.

damn john, thats a long *** piece of silicone you got there.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Had a MAF there once, but plan to change the pipe at some point.

/tangent
Old 02-12-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

if u have blow by, get new rings. if its an all out dragster...new rings then vac pump.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

they are total seal rings and are file fit. As well as the motor is spanking new and these is one of it's first dozen dyno pulls!

My driver side valve cover port (that goes to the TB) is now a 1/2" tube that goes to my breather tank. and on the driver side I have a K&N only and so far that is where the oil mist is coming from?

I will try some of these ideas.....Please god please keep the ideas coming.....
Old 02-13-2005, 03:29 AM
...with cheese.

im just really confused by how complicated this crap is... I wish there was a specific article I could read, and figure out what some stuff was.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lt1 here as well, the evac system to the exhaust from MR. Gasket works well for me
Old 02-13-2005, 11:51 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Overview:
99-02 valve covers
2 TTI breathers, they are 1/2 shielded
-One is in the back of the driver's side valve cover
-One is in the front of the passenger side valve cover

That's it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=20776

So this is all I need. What do I do about the PCV system?????
Old 02-13-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LittleRedZ
lt1 here as well, the evac system to the exhaust from MR. Gasket works well for me
Yes I had the MR. Gasket evac to exhaust on the passenger side only and it worked realy well. However, I don't care for the idea of oil in my exhaust. And now I have dumped exhaust and don't want oil on my car.

I will do alot of street driveing and think I would be burning alot of oil! I am also thinking my catch can need a line to return oil to the motor as under realy hard driving the can is full of oil. That is alot of oil in only a few hours.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:31 PM
...with cheese.

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
Yes I had the MR. Gasket evac to exhaust on the passenger side only and it worked realy well. However, I don't care for the idea of oil in my exhaust. And now I have dumped exhaust and don't want oil on my car.

I will do alot of street driveing and think I would be burning alot of oil! I am also thinking my catch can need a line to return oil to the motor as under realy hard driving the can is full of oil. That is alot of oil in only a few hours.
Something sounds a little off with that much oil...
Old 02-13-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Armageddon
Something sounds a little off with that much oil...
yes i agree, i got mine in both valve covers i have Hooker LTs, Flomaster Ypipe, Mufflex 4" with Just a 4" bullit Muffler and a turndown out the back. Before i had just open hose out of one side of the valve cover, the car was smoking slightly blue adn was sipping oil between block/heads (cometic gasket seal " but after i installed the evac all that went away i dont see any blue smoke at all anymore and the block is dry as a bone.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya Mine does not put out near that much oil!
Old 02-13-2005, 02:39 PM
...with cheese.

so where do you get TTI half shielded breathers or a Mr. Gasket Evac pump, I've looked for both and can't find them
Old 02-13-2005, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I have all my other stuff capped off. I build like 3 times the amount of crankcase pressure that a person would see stock.

I got the 1/2 shielded TTi's because my Metco's will mist out the driver's rear one and I see that as a fire hazard.

I got some other stuff at the warehouse that I have not used, basically some othe catchcans, but I ran into problems with space. Ideally I would run a hose from each cover into a catchcan that was vented up top.

If I was where I wanted to be, I might consider running a Moroso evac pump but I'm not ready to try to get that rigged up.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO ProStockJon

I like your setup as it look realy clean and simple but I had a metco breather and oil would mist out and get on the headers!

Now you said you would run 2 lines (one from each cover) and run them to a breather tank? This is what I am going to do. But i would like to run a line back down to my oil pan, or something.

When I said I was getting that much oil in my catch can, that was when it was a stock motor on 12psi. I am sure with my new motor build up it wouldn't do that.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Well I have been playing with breathers for quite a while, even when I had my old 422ci NA setup. I like these shielded breathers because I can position the driver's side rear one so that the oil won't mist out the back of it and coat the firewall. I can position the passenger side front one so that it won't drip oil on the header primaries. I have had both happen with the Metco breathers.

Better but more complicated would be good sized hoses running into dual catchcans or one big can that was vented. If the hoses were braided and were attached to fittings in the covers that would rock but I would need a set of covers to use for that. I was looking at just using some pcv type plugin stuff into the pcv holes that would run to the catchcan(s). I don't think I would try to route my stuff back to the oil pan I am too lazy to even think about that. I don't think I would run them to the headers and try to burn it off since if my exhaust got real blued up that might freak out the team.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Armageddon
so where do you get TTI half shielded breathers or a Mr. Gasket Evac pump, I've looked for both and can't find them
JEgs its 30 bucks and you gotta get like 7ft of 5/8 heater hose and you set

Quick Reply: OIL-PCV-BREATHERS?What works?