Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

can someone give me a straight answer??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone give me a straight answer??

I've been doing my research on forced induction and can't seem to get a straight answer. My of what I've learned is on blowers ,a little on turbos. I have a 99 trans am 5.7, headers, exhaust, muffler, K&N, lowered, 18's. thought blower was the way to go but correct me if I'm wrong but I run a stock 10.0 to 1 static. Now if I ran even 6psi that would put my effective at like 14.1 to 1 and I've read that I'm suppose to stay around 12. It's a daily driver so I can't deal with the detonation, but I'd like to get around 400 hp. Will a turbo have the same effects? I'm not looking for 600-700 hp, but this stock engine isn't cutting for me! I'm sure you guys agree. I don't run high rpm's either, so I was considering a roots type blower. Any advice on the blower or turbo greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you only want around 400 hp why don't you just go with a cam setup? Sorry, not a straight answer....I don't see a problem with running 6psi on a stock motor...it's all in the tune. There are no roots blowers out there for our cars yet. The hood would have to be cut along with the windshield being notched for it to fit. Someone was working on a setup to sell but I haven't heard anything about it lately.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Launching!

IMO you will be fine getting a blower and running 6 lbs of boost. As long as you get and in pump and injectors to get some extra fuel in there to maintain a safe a/f ratio you should be just fine. If I were to get a blower and run about 6psi on a stock engine, I would go with a Procharger 600B, Racetronix in pump, 42 lb. injectors, and a most importantly, a good safe tune. You should have no issues with a set up like that as long as you keep the boost at 6lbs.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-14-2005, 02:12 PM
IMD
Banned

IMO getting a firm grasp on the english language would e a good start.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by IMD
IMO getting a firm grasp on the english language would e a good start.
Maybe you should think of doing the same.
I think he was asking for advice on his car, not a smart-assed tutor.

Anyways, a P1SC ProCharger would work just fine for you GenIV. You will be able to drive it for several years on low boost with a good tune without issues. Just remember...when you start boosting, you always want more because it's only a wastegate spring/pulley change away.

Last edited by Mike 01WS6; 02-14-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Default what about turbo

thanks for the info guys. What about turbo? I've heard they're more costly and more maintenence. Do I really need a twin turbo or single? Will the turbo have the same effects, such as detonation? Specific turbo recommendation?
Old 02-14-2005, 03:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,102 Likes on 723 Posts

True, an FI'd car will have more total compression.

But you can for sure do at least 450rwhp with the stock bottom end, pump gas, bigger injectors, upgrade intank and a good tune.

Quick Reply: can someone give me a straight answer??