Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Request for Jim @ LS1 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
Bryan.....Jim,

i don't see why either one of you are arguing the use of 93 or 110 octane. you've each got different ideas how you want your cars to run.
i am aiming for 1200+ fwhp on 93 octane, and would have no problem throwing in 110 and see how much more power i can get out of it.
i may be able to get 1500+ out of it on the dyno, but i have too much wrapped up in the setup to push the car that hard on the track. i will
be VERY happy with mid 8's on pump gas, and with the rulebooks requiring a full funnycar type cage to go faster than 8.50, i will only go faster
when i'm ready to get kicked off the track. i do not want that type of car. i am building a car that's similar to both of yours in some ways,
and in others, not.
some guys want a full drag car, some don't mind a trailer/dyno queen. some want Pro Touring, others want imports. be happy with what you
have because so many here would love to have our setups but can't for one reason or another.

Jim.....your car is awesome!

Bryan.......your car is awesome!

you each have a great deal of knowledge, more than i may ever have myself. personally, my entire car is being designed by someone whom i
have a great deal of repect for for his level of knowledge, and his similar taste for cars. if i could do the work myself, i would, and would love it.
i know, getting off track here. but you guys should really just show what you've got, congradulate each other if that's what they're happy with
having, and leave it at that. at least for the most part you've kept your remarks to each other civilized, so why not let it end that way and
move on. pass on your knowledge so others can learn, and let this board, LS1 Tech, become an even greater source for fellow enthusiasts.

No, i'm not running for mayor or anything, but i do approve this message.

later,
Dave
thank you Dr Phil
Old 02-19-2005, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wilkinson: you are a ******* tool, with more money than brains. Thats about all I got out of this thread.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_z
Wilkinson: you are a ******* tool, with more money than brains. Thats about all I got out of this thread.
So that we are absolutely clear, I lost my father in a car accident 2 months before he was to get his first grandchild. He left me some money, I paid some bills and decided that I would do something special. He had a PH.D in Mechanical Engineering, and I am working on finishing my degree in information technology. I didnt think it would be right to go to a shop and write a check for an engine. I did that the first time, with the D-1SC, Heads, Cam, header and exhaust.

So in memory of him and what he had accomplised in his life I spent 6 months doing research, and picked and speced out ever aspect of this setup. The only piece that I through down money for was the intercooler. I did not design that piece. Based on my research I speced the pistons, ring lands, wrist pin location, port design, the cam, the split, and everything thing else under the hood, including the fuel system. Not taking advice from anyone else because there were a lot of people who said the fuel system would not be enough power, and a lot of people on this forum said, it would never happen on pump gas.

And even though this and the last thread have forced me to never again offer any technical advice, My setup makes me more than qualified to speak on the subject of building an all out LS1 specific pump gas car. Not a BB, Not a Hemi, or anything else, The difference between me and the others that want to complain, is that they did not have the funds to do the project picking out the absolute best parts. They did it on a budget, and I commend them for that.

The only time that I get bent, is when someone who has not accomplished an LS1 setup to the same or more level than what I have on pump gas, challenges me. And that is what it boils down to. Jim, nor anyone else can say that they have accomplished that. They can say that they have built extreme LS1 setups made gobs of power, and run rediculous times at the track and I commend them for that. And I completely understand Jim and Johns argument for Race Gas. There is nothing wrong with that. I was just able to do the same on pump gas with an LS1 setup and I had to take a terrible loss to get there and I would give it all back to have my child have her grandfather.

So in the manner that everyone else has thrown at me
Old 02-19-2005, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
thank you Dr Phil

lol....i hate that guy.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:26 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
lol....i hate that guy.
but he is so helpful....
Old 02-20-2005, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bryan, first, my condolences about your father. I would like to say a few things. The way you talk to people in here is what pisses them off. Lets say there is a group of guys talking cars. Some are quite knowledgable, some know a decent amount and some know very little. Wouldn't it be rude to talk down to the guys that don't have much knowledge yet but are trying to learn? A nice, friendly person would talk respectfully to everyone there gently correcting any wrong information if it appeared advice was being sought. I posted once in a thread about maxing the MAF and you jumped my **** acting like unless it was someone like Harlan or the like I should just stay out of the discussion. After reading many of your post I saw that it wasn't just me but that you are quite confrontational and seem to like to mix it up with a lot of people. So when you chose to pick a fight with Jim @ LS1Speed I took a jab at you (I wasn't alone). Can you imagine the knowledge you would have if you dynoed cars on a daily basis for a living, tuning with the stock PCM or stand alone units of a variety of cars, having people put their faith in you to get the most out of their expensive dream projects, doing it with NA, NOS & FI cars? The shops reputation relies on his competence. If he was blowing up cars or couldn't get them to run right you would hear about it here first. If I were in Jim's shoes I would laugh at some guy that came into money and built himself a dream car and now thought he had earned the right to teach me.

I do like your car and would love to see a magazine feature about it. Our cars and goals are somewhat similar. Both big cube blower cars that are primarily street cars. Its good to see a blower car run strong when it seems like everybody wants to jump on the turbo bandwagon.

I can tell you from experience that you will be real disappointed trying to get any kind of a respectable time out of your car on Nittos. All I've ever run with is Nitto 315's. I leave at a dead idle and slowly roll into trying to keep it on the edge of traction. I do hook in 2nd gear if its warm enough out otherwise it starts having traction issues in 2nd also. Not by any means ******* your car but I would predict only the upper 1/2 of tens with Nittos. If your main goal is just trap speed you might get a decent number there. With your power you should certainly be in the nines setup and driven correctly.

Around this neck of the woods (FI forum) there are a lot of very knowledgable folks.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
Bryan, first, my condolences about your father. I would like to say a few things. The way you talk to people in here is what pisses them off. Lets say there is a group of guys talking cars. Some are quite knowledgable, some know a decent amount and some know very little. Wouldn't it be rude to talk down to the guys that don't have much knowledge yet but are trying to learn? A nice, friendly person would talk respectfully to everyone there gently correcting any wrong information if it appeared advice was being sought. I posted once in a thread about maxing the MAF and you jumped my **** acting like unless it was someone like Harlan or the like I should just stay out of the discussion. After reading many of your post I saw that it wasn't just me but that you are quite confrontational and seem to like to mix it up with a lot of people. So when you chose to pick a fight with Jim @ LS1Speed I took a jab at you (I wasn't alone). Can you imagine the knowledge you would have if you dynoed cars on a daily basis for a living, tuning with the stock PCM or stand alone units of a variety of cars, having people put their faith in you to get the most out of their expensive dream projects, doing it with NA, NOS & FI cars? The shops reputation relies on his competence. If he was blowing up cars or couldn't get them to run right you would hear about it here first. If I were in Jim's shoes I would laugh at some guy that came into money and built himself a dream car and now thought he had earned the right to teach me.

I do like your car and would love to see a magazine feature about it. Our cars and goals are somewhat similar. Both big cube blower cars that are primarily street cars. Its good to see a blower car run strong when it seems like everybody wants to jump on the turbo bandwagon.

I can tell you from experience that you will be real disappointed trying to get any kind of a respectable time out of your car on Nittos. All I've ever run with is Nitto 315's. I leave at a dead idle and slowly roll into trying to keep it on the edge of traction. I do hook in 2nd gear if its warm enough out otherwise it starts having traction issues in 2nd also. Not by any means ******* your car but I would predict only the upper 1/2 of tens with Nittos. If your main goal is just trap speed you might get a decent number there. With your power you should certainly be in the nines setup and driven correctly.

Around this neck of the woods (FI forum) there are a lot of very knowledgable folks.
Point Taken, I offer you the same apology that I offered Jim.

I dont remember the jest of the thread, but I would assume what my intentions were was to say that only he had the knowledge to build something that was MAFable to read beyond the MAF's cababilities.

Regarding the Nitto's. When I went the first time with the BOV problem, I blew the tires off for the first 30 feet out the hole. When I am on the street, I am getting really good at part throttle launches without breaking the tires loose, so perhaps I can use that to help me launch the car on the Nittos'. I will also be trying out the new drag radials from Hoosiers. I ordered a set of them and I am waiting on the new batch. I had always assumed that with a good trap speed would come a good track time.

Perhaps Jim will find someway to forgive me for my arrogance as I offer a peace offering to him and never to offer technical advice on this forum again.

Last edited by Bryan Wilkinson; 02-20-2005 at 08:45 AM. Reason: change
Old 02-20-2005, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

I love the Nittos on the street and they hook really well from any roll. From a dead stop though i give up a ton. At the track with a usual 2.0ish 60' the car next to me usually jumps out to a pretty big lead. It is fun if I can reel them in on the big end. I am going to be trying other drag radials also to try and get a 10 sec. pass. I was really hoping to be able to do it with the Nittos because that is my pure street form. I would like to be able to pull into the track, not change anything (even tire pressure) or even pop the hood and click off a 10 sec. pass. Oh well I guess I'll have to have a 2nd set of wheels and tires for the track to get that slip. I've read too many horror stories about other drag radials wet weather manners to even try them for my daily tire. I'm sorry for getting shitty too, Tom.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
I will also be trying out the new drag radials from Hoosiers. I ordered a set of them and I am waiting on the new batch. I had always assumed that with a good trap speed would come a good track time.
good trap speed does not always = good track time. just look at some of the supra times....11.0 @ 140 and stuff like that.

is this the tire your talking about running? if so, i dont think i would wanna get caught in the rain with these babies on!

Old 02-20-2005, 11:25 AM
9 Second Club

i'd go with the M/T Drag Radials if you want a decent launch. remember, getting off the line well is the biggest contributor to a good time. how many times have you seen a very powerful car, like top fuel or something, launch well and then blow the tires of the car about the 330' mark, coast the rest of the way, and still run a freakin 9 or 10 sec. 1/4.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

"i'd go with the M/T Drag Radials".

Thats the one I'm gonna try. 275/40/17 on stock wheels. If they work well I'll chrome the wheels, drive in, run a 10 something and still look totally stock.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jim, just out of curiosity, do you remember how many lengths back the GN was that you were racing in that vid? Absolutely outstanding run BTW!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

To those who got my back, thank you.

Bryan,

You do not owe me an apology, nor do you have to stop posting technical information.

No one knows everything, yet you post things in a matter that they are absolute fact (but much of which is completely wrong), and you talk down to people who are politely trying to debate with you.

You tell Grant B he can only challenge your theorys when he makes as much power as you?

You tell Kurt @W2W that his comments were because you didn't have him build your engine?

Did you ever consider the alternative? (That you're not always right, and you should treat people with respect?)

In the future, hopefully you can logically and respectfully deal with criticism, rather than brushing off someones views and stating -I have 800rwhp and am holier than thou-

-Jim
Old 02-20-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

So when are u getting the car tuned with the F1-R? and how much boost are u planning to run?
Old 02-20-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackz93
good trap speed does not always = good track time. just look at some of the supra times....11.0 @ 140 and stuff like that.

is this the tire your talking about running? if so, i dont think i would wanna get caught in the rain with these babies on!

I believe that is the tire, I was hoping to install them on my WS6 wheel and swap them after getting to the track. Hopefully someone with experience will step up and offer to help me to learn how to launch the car on a real drag tire.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
So when are u getting the car tuned with the F1-R? and how much boost are u planning to run?

I had planned on doing it last Friday, and because I was able to sell the intercooler, I opted to just wait 2 weeks while Griffin builds the other one for me. I worked out an design that works well with my setup. It looks a lot like the bottom feed center out on the group purchase except mine is 25 across instead of 28. No need to tune it twice. I would prefer to not change the boost. I am hoping that the new design will flow more air than the last thus giving more power without changing the pulley. That in combination with going to the F1-R I am hoping will give me the extra 80 ponies to cross the 900RWHP mark.

Step two is not what I wanted to do, but I know no other way to get there. I will have to change the pulley and I believe we are going to try water injection to try and get to 1000. We do not believe that we will have to go over 20psi. It really all depends on where I am today. The car feels stronger on the lower end.

Step three is the new LS Casting head swap. There is a Winston cub guy in the local area that has come up with a new casting. My understanding it the bottom deck is thicker than the AFR, and he can put any port in that you request, from a 205 to a 255 including a C5-R design that allows you to use your LS6 manifold. Hopefully they will be more efficient than what I have and will reduce the amount of boost created from chaning the pulley. I have been reading some info on the new LS7 head, and it looks very impressive. I guess only time will tell,
Old 02-20-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INTMD8
To those who got my back, thank you.

Bryan,

You do not owe me an apology, nor do you have to stop posting technical information.

No one knows everything, yet you post things in a matter that they are absolute fact (but much of which is completely wrong), and you talk down to people who are politely trying to debate with you.

You tell Grant B he can only challenge your theorys when he makes as much power as you?

You tell Kurt @W2W that his comments were because you didn't have him build your engine?

Did you ever consider the alternative? (That you're not always right, and you should treat people with respect?)

In the future, hopefully you can logically and respectfully deal with criticism, rather than brushing off someones views and stating -I have 800rwhp and am holier than thou-

-Jim
Thats the problem with being thick headed. But whether you want it or not, I feel the need to offer it for my actions. I am a man of my word, and I will offer my apologies in addition to offering the same for any person that I may have attacked on the forum.

If coming to your area and watching your car pull away from me is the only way I am going to learn how to drive this thing on slicks, I guess I will have to do that. You have to lose before you can win, right?
Old 02-20-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
I love the Nittos on the street and they hook really well from any roll. From a dead stop though i give up a ton. At the track with a usual 2.0ish 60' the car next to me usually jumps out to a pretty big lead. It is fun if I can reel them in on the big end. I am going to be trying other drag radials also to try and get a 10 sec. pass. I was really hoping to be able to do it with the Nittos because that is my pure street form. I would like to be able to pull into the track, not change anything (even tire pressure) or even pop the hood and click off a 10 sec. pass. Oh well I guess I'll have to have a 2nd set of wheels and tires for the track to get that slip. I've read too many horror stories about other drag radials wet weather manners to even try them for my daily tire. I'm sorry for getting shitty too, Tom.

Generally on the street, because that is the only place I have ever really gotten to drive this thing with all power on tap, I can launch it from a light without spinning the tires. That is where I am coming up with the comments that I am getting really good at the part throttle thing. I have tried some really hard shifts into 2nd, 3rd and 4th, baby shifts I am sure by mosts standards, and have broken them loose in each gear. For some reason the car seems to be doing well not fishtailing out, like my friends corvette. His comes around even on a part throttle launch. I would assume that is from the lighter rear end. It doesnt make any since because the car is suppose to be 50/50. but maybe with me in it. who knows.

Just on the 400hp at the track that day, on the nittos, the tires would not hold for anything. I was concentrating so hard on getting a good 60 foot time, that I missed the boat on the real objective which is trap speed for me. Once I cross the 150mph mark, then I can concentrate on learning how to drive this thing with slicks and knocking out respectable 1/4 mile time. And trying to do all of this while trying to cross the 900 and 1000RWHP mark. See other response. If I am lucky enough to be invited to the thing in GA for HPP, maybe I will have a good showing. I backed out of the Hot Rod PumpGas Drags, because I dont believe I can complete with a Big Block. Those cars are running in the 8's. The HPP thing my be a little more competitive for me and my inexperience.

Go Figure.

Last edited by Bryan Wilkinson; 02-20-2005 at 06:30 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-20-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

how soon does the tracks open up for you id like to hear the results, or you could always go south a bit to a track thats open?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
how soon does the tracks open up for you id like to hear the results, or you could always go south a bit to a track thats open?
End of March first of April. Regardless I am at least two weeks waiting on the intercooler. I would guess by mid April, I should have good track results.

Quick Reply: Request for Jim @ LS1 Speed