Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where did you start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where did you start?

For guys with Turbo setups where did you start? Did you buy a turbo first then work on upgrading your engine? Or did you build the engine for boost and then buy the turbo? I know not many of us can do everything at once so just trying to get an idea of where everyone started and do you wish you did it another way. The main components I am thinking of are Turbo, Forged or Iron shortblock, or Rearend? Don't know what to do first. Not worried about the other engine upgrades as they are more affordable.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

I got a forged bottom end, 408ci, wasn't enough for me so I started toying around with the idea of a single turbo, then I saw pictures of harlans car and ordered twin t70's. After that I did hot pipes, intercooler pipes and the intercooler, now im doing the transmission, last is the fuel system then I can actually drive it.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:19 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Boostaholic...got a couple of Qs for ya. I too like Harlan's setup, as well as your's. I have access to a fabshop (good buddy of mine, his dad is an owner opperator) so this may become a winter project in a year or two. So the question comes, what have you had to move, relocate, and fab besides fabing the hot pipes, and chare pipes (obvious stuff) I'd like to be able to keep the fenders in the car and not have to put skinnies up front. Also, how bad is that front motor plate in the car? You still drive it on the street or does it only see the track Boostaholic? Also, Harlan, if you catch this...what did you fab up as far as motor mounts to push the motor down and back some? That get you better weight dist? Are you running a fabbed, stock, or aftermarket K-memeber or front suspension? Lastly...where do you two have more pics? Sorry to hyjack your thread Hamerhead. And I'll also be in the same boat as you...not knowing weather to build a motor first or do the Turbo/turbos first
Old 03-07-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

I still have all the stock fenders and full size front tires, the motor plate / solid motor mounts are fine, had nearly solid motor mounts with my N/A cam and it was fine - turbo cams are much milder.

The car is not in a drivable condition but it will see street use often, im still on the stock kmember but I'll be getting tublar one soon.

Here are some pics of the Harlan car, he did a great job of documenting the build process, I have some pictures but not nearly as many.

http://harlan-engineering.com/projectBFT/

I am going to put the turbos on the motor and take a picture of them on a engine stand while the motor is out later this week, may even put the intercooler piping on if its not too front heavy for the engine stand.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:39 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Thanks man...I looked all over his site last night and couldn't find the new build up only the old STS or Icon? setup. What trannies are you guys running? I'm assuming built 700R-4s?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

TH400 in mine, not sure what he has, it may also be a TH400, I know he has a bit more money than me invested so it may be something cooler, my TH400 is rated at over 1200WHP with a warranty
Old 03-07-2005, 04:35 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

With a warranty...that's nice. Honestly...I'd like to stay manual but I don't know if I will totaly. Then again, I have a few different goals in mind too. Plus I want to be able to go to VIR or Watkins Glen once or twice.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

I was thinking starting with a 408 but what is the max cubes you want to go with a turbo? Then again what difference would it make going with a 348 instead? Oh hell maybe just the 12 bolt, damn it I can't decide.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
I was thinking starting with a 408 but what is the max cubes you want to go with a turbo? Then again what difference would it make going with a 348 instead? Oh hell maybe just the 12 bolt, damn it I can't decide.
I would recomend a set of rods and pistons in your stock shortblock, the money is better invested in other places unless you just like to burn cash.

Total for my project to date : $16k Parts, $3k tools, $2k remaining to drive car, and thats not counting any of the small tools or misc parts I had to get along the way, thats just big components, cheapest thing I have written down is $30 for silicone cupplers, and $30 for some 1 3/4 pipe.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harlans running a powerglide if I remember correctly hehe
Old 03-07-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Malicious
Harlans running a powerglide if I remember correctly hehe
Yes, he does have a glide.

I think with a Neil Chance converter.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
For guys with Turbo setups where did you start?
Best place to start is at the home loan officer at you local bank and check into a second mortgage... (get the dough) Budget for turbo project x 3

Order your new Keg-o-rator for the garage.. (this is going to take some serious brewskies)

Then contact hair club for men have them send you an info pack (for when you pull your hair out)

Contact the best divorce attorney around (that way she cant use him)

Figure out what you will be driving for the next 3-6 months (I know it will only take you a couple of weeks) But just in case

Buy a couple of packs of erasers (in case you decide to change your mind a few times) I know, I know you are well organized and have fully researched this project....

Then started buying parts... And buying parts.... And buying parts....And buying parts....

Call credit card companies and have them up your limits...

Then continue buying parts...

Now comes time to put it together....

Oops forgot a few parts huh? Well order more parts!!
Old 03-08-2005, 07:05 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Flipper
Best place to start is at the home loan officer at you local bank and check into a second mortgage... (get the dough) Budget for turbo project x 3

Order your new Keg-o-rator for the garage.. (this is going to take some serious brewskies)

Then contact hair club for men have them send you an info pack (for when you pull your hair out)

Figure out what you will be driving for the next 3-6 months (I know it will only take you a couple of weeks) But just in case

Buy a couple of packs of erasers (in case you decide to change your mind a few times) I know, I know you are well organized and have fully researched this project....

Then started buying parts... And buying parts.... And buying parts....And buying parts....

Yeah, pretty much.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:16 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Did he back half that car? Looks like it's a 4link setup underneath it (Harlan that is)
Old 03-08-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Another Milwaukee'n! I did mine all at once. I had made a very detailed list of every part I needed, then started looking for the best deals on those exact items. That way in the long run you do not end up buying stuff you don't need. As far as my car, It was already completely done. I just had to change gears, converter, and worry about the turbo setup, building headers and motor. I am in the process installing everything right now. Takes BIG money! Good luck.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Looks like I'm gonna need it.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
I got a forged bottom end, 408ci, wasn't enough for me so I started toying around with the idea of a single turbo, then I saw pictures of harlans car and ordered twin t70's. After that I did hot pipes, intercooler pipes and the intercooler, now im doing the transmission, last is the fuel system then I can actually drive it.
Did yo buy a kit or did you have the setup custom fabbed? I like the headers and the inercooler piping. Who made the headers and piping?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

That about sums it up.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Did he back half that car? Looks like it's a 4link setup underneath it (Harlan that is)
Nope, just saw the car a few weeks ago, still a torque arm rear suspension (stock style).
Old 03-09-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If only more people knew.

This is pretty much exactly the way it is. Good thing most people don't find this out till after they have already started, otherwise no one would be going F/I.

Quick Reply: Where did you start?