Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best Supercharger for LS1? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Supercharger for LS1? Help!!

I am looking to charge my 00 Ws6..What is the best kind of charger?

What does everyone think about an intercoole? I understand the machanics behind it, but do a lot of you run them on your chargers?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

What kind of power goals are you shooting for?

The most common is a ATI Procharger D1SC, also Vortech makes some good units. And you will want a intercooler for sure.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed a Procharger D1SC tuner kit. Easy install and well put together kit. Get with Bob@EPP, he can take car of all your questions and needs, best prices and support.

Chris
Old 03-12-2005, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Procharger and Vortech both make goods units. I went with Procharger and think they are the better of the two, but that boils down to a lot of personal preference. I felt the D1 gave my more room to grow than the Vortech kits. Plus I liked the cleaner install of the Procharger. But to each their own.

If you do decide on Procharger talk with SDCE first. You're going to eventually get their bracket anyways. Might as well save yourself some money and speak to them first. they can probably setup you up with a kit designed specifically for your needs at close to the same price of a regular kit. if I had to do it all over again that's what i would have done. Scott and wendy are really great to deal with and very knowledgable about FI.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 03-12-2005, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was doing it again I would call RMCR and buy the Vortech kit with a T-trim head unit. Then you do have the room to grow and zero belt issues. I would also do a FMIC from the start.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Procharger
Old 03-12-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

look up some products by a company called "Garrett", I hear they make some of the best types of "chargers" out there
Old 03-12-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys! I am also wondering becuase my engine is basicly stock, how much boost you guys recommend? I want to add like 100+ hp, nothing too crazy just enough to wake the car up.

You all are great!

Alex
Old 03-12-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VoodooWS6
thanks guys! I am also wondering becuase my engine is basicly stock, how much boost you guys recommend? I want to add like 100+ hp, nothing too crazy just enough to wake the car up.

You all are great!

Alex
That's what I said 4 years ago.

I went procharger and now I'm a boost junkie.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol...I know its a drug..but I am going to try it!

Which kit should I get? The D1sc or the PSc1? I don't want to blow the motor..Just someting that I can crusie with and stomp almost everything on the road when needed..

Alex
Old 03-12-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol...I know its a drug..but I am going to try it!

Which kit should I get? The D1sc or the PSc1? I don't want to blow the motor..Just someting that I can crusie with and stomp almost everything on the road when needed..

Alex
Go with the D1sc. It'll let you run more boost for when you want more power later on down the road.

The p1sc will usually be a nice increase at first. But after you get used to it and then want to up the boost, you'll have to upgrade to the d1sc, which will probably be an additional $1k or so. If you buy the d1sc up front, it's only a few hundered more.

Gary
Old 03-12-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

no more than 7 lbs on a stock bottom end. Some have pushed more but you're safety margin is greatly reduced. Go with a D1 but I would go ahead and get the kit from SDCE, the stock ATI kits are prone to belt slippage.

If you're in Naperville, I'd take a ride to Schaumberg and talk to Larry and Tom at Speed Inc. They can advise you and install for you. Jim is a pro at tuning with edit. They're a good shop and come highly recommended.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,135 Likes on 739 Posts

Vortech aftercooled kit. Add a set of headers and hold on!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2005, 10:18 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

I would go with a Vortech kit. I had a Procharger on a Camaro and had lots of problems, you also see alot of guys on here with belt slip and bearing problems w/ Procharger, also overheating probs. The only big power Procharger cars that work good are the shop/racecars that have lots of hours of R&D by professional racecar builders. So if you dont have hundreds of hours to spend to get your car working good, get a Vortech. The RMCR Ttrim kit is a very good setup.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am looking to charge my 00 Ws6..What is the best kind of charger?

What does everyone think about an intercoole? I understand the machanics behind it, but do a lot of you run them on your chargers?

Thanks!
All depends on whether you want tap into the oil pan or not. The nice thing about the Procharger is the oil system is self contained, so if anything goes wrong in the blower, it will not be transfering it to your oil pan. That is not to say that the parts could not make it into the engine, but it is more unlikely to happen than parts of the blower getting into your oil system. This is the exact same problem with using a turbo, not to mention you cant control burst of boost with a Turbo whereas blowers are directly related to RPM. So boost will always be the same at any given RPM, once you have your baseline.

That by no means says that Vortec makes a bad prodcut. When it comes to power both companies have completely different philosophies about blowers. One strongly believes in air to water for cooling and the other strongly believes in air to air. In my opinion the air being cooled by the water is never going to cool as well as the air to air system. Just an opinion.

As for me, I have had a D-1SC, F1, and now F1-R in my quest to hit 1000RWHP on pump gas. The dinky air to air units that come with the procharger kits are a joke. You need a FMIC to really get the benefits of the intercooler.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't find any info on the web about a RMCR site. Can anybody shed some lite on this subject? PM me a link if it can't be posted.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Another vote for the ATI 8Rib D-1SC.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
no more than 7 lbs on a stock bottom end. Some have pushed more but you're safety margin is greatly reduced. Go with a D1 but I would go ahead and get the kit from SDCE, the stock ATI kits are prone to belt slippage.

If you're in Naperville, I'd take a ride to Schaumberg and talk to Larry and Tom at Speed Inc. They can advise you and install for you. Jim is a pro at tuning with edit. They're a good shop and come highly recommended.

Where is SDCE?

Thank you all for the helpful information! Please keep talking!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Launching!

you may see belt slippage w/ procharger, but that is the only problem ive had w/ it. and its been on and reliable for over 3 years....i went and got the SDCE 8 rib setup when i went w/ more boost.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoostedWS7
you may see belt slippage w/ procharger, but that is the only problem ive had w/ it. and its been on and reliable for over 3 years....i went and got the SDCE 8 rib setup when i went w/ more boost.
I have a STOCK new ATI 8 rib setup and there is no slip at all. I never even touch the belt since we installed it.

Quick Reply: Best Supercharger for LS1? Help!!