Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why turbo?

It seems that most people on this site favor a single turbocharger over a supercharger. I have grown up with my dad always supercharging everything and that is all i have known so i have always favored superchargers. I was curious as to why so many are in favor of turbochargers, also those who favor superchargers feel free to plead your case. Also, what about turbo lag, and lack of power off the line with a turbo?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Turbo lag is not a issue with todays turbo technology unless you select the wrong turbo for your application.

And if you want torque off the line, there are 2 step boxes that can let you spool up the turbos on the starting line, also you can use a transbrake to build boost.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In the NMRA, SSO (28x10.5) cars have much different rules for turbo and blower cars. Turbo cars must run smaller head units, 80 less cubic inches, and usually 150-200 pounds heavier, and the turbo cars are still teh front runners in the class. That tell you anything about how dominant turbos are?

Turbos

Pros
  • More mid range, low end power
  • Adjustable on the fly boost
  • Lower parasitic power drain
  • More power per pound of boost
  • Much quieter car
  • Reliability

Cons
  • More expensive initial output
  • Cool down period
  • More complex plumbing
  • Some turbo lag with larger turbos

Superchargers

Pros
  • Cheaper
  • Easier to install

Cons
  • Belt slip issues
  • Much less low/mid range power
  • Pulley change to change boost
  • Higher parasitic power loss
  • Massive loads on #1 main bearing

Vortech and Procharger have a strong foothold in the market, and that is why you see them on so many cars. I have owned several centrifugally supercharged cars in the past, as well as a few Turbo cars, so I'm speaking with lots of experience. Turbos are a superior power adder once you get past the cost.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I first got my T/A I planned on supercharging after heads and cam. I was always concerned about turbo lag. Then I started reading a lot on this site and learned more about turbos. I realized with the right application I can make all the power I want with practically no lag. I wouldn't have to worry about belt slippage either. Unfortunately a turbo setup is typically pricier but the phamspeed kit is realtively inexpensive.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Launching!

What would be a good turbo system that would give the procharger D-1SC a run for its money?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DamanZ28
What would be a good turbo system that would give the procharger D-1SC a run for its money?
Phamspeed would be my 100% choice. The log headers used on the standard TTI kits are just yuck. Going from a log to tubulars on my mustang netted over 40 RWHP and 500 RPM's worth of spool. Phamspeed + anything T66 or bigger would give a D1SC a run for its money or beat it. Keep in mind the stock procharger kits have big problems with belt slip, so you gotta sink some cash into those to upgrade it.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Does the GT42 SINGLE TURBO KIT from the phamspeed website for the camaro come complete or are there extra parts that i would need to buy?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As of right now, I believe the fastest LS1 in the world is supercharged

Also, does anyone have anything to say about the PTK LS1 kit? http://forcedinductions.com/GMkits3.htm
Old 03-14-2005, 05:27 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Does the GT42 SINGLE TURBO KIT from the phamspeed website for the camaro come complete or are there extra parts that i would need to buy?

3400 bucks for hot parts (headers, downpipe, wastegate, turbo) and all the lines. I think that also includes an alt. relocation bracket? Maybe not. Talk to LT1-7, that would be John. www.phamspeed.com You'd still need an intercooler, BOV, and the charge piping, which you could probably get a mufler shop to bend for you.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:29 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by EightBallWS6

Also, does anyone have anything to say about the PTK LS1 kit? http://forcedinductions.com/GMkits3.htm

Fastest? Or Quickest?? I'm sure the turbo cars will be getting FASTER and QUICKER this summer. Hey...who is building that car that was in HotRod a few months ago that was being stripped, Twined, and jigged? was that @ W2W's shop? Supposed to be looking for the 7s?
Old 03-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys, but i still have to go with superchargers, unless i can still be convinced. I go to NHRA dragraces often and the top fuel dragsters and funny cars are the fastest cars in the world right now, and they are all supercharged. I know that isnt for street use, but it just shows the superiority of the supercharger.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

A STS kit gives you a lot of the positives of having a supercharger while getting the benefits of a turbo. Have you looked at STS yet?
Old 03-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Launching!

STS does look pretty sweet, and i definately like the price, but from the installed pics it looks like quite a job to install, where the procharger seems much easier.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=DamanZ28]Thanks for the info guys, but i still have to go with superchargers, unless i can still be convinced. I go to NHRA dragraces often and the top fuel dragsters and funny cars are the fastest cars in the world right now, and they are all supercharged. I know that isnt for street use, but it just shows the superiority of the supercharger.[/QUOT

those are not the same kind of supercharger that are in the ATI or Vortech kits
Old 03-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Launching!

those are not the same kind of supercharger that are in the ATI or Vortech kits
I know, they are roots style superchargers, i was just saying that they dont use turbochargers in any of those cars. It just shows the preference for high performance is superchargers.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EightBallWS6
That's certainly a valid point, but have you bothered to look at the weight breaks? Care to guess why the most heavily penalized combo is one with a... shhhh... turbo...

The nitrous guys hate us, and the centrifugal guys can't find a belt to stay ON for the full 1320'. I love this!

Keep thinking that way, and you'll be passed. Maybe not in a sanction, but anywhere else, no weight rules apply, and turbos never lose! That's factual.

Also, what about turbo lag, and lack of power off the line with a turbo?
And in answer to your question, "NEAL CHANCE CONVERTORS MAKE TURBO CARS FLY" No lag, no question.

SC-
Old 03-14-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive went the SC route and i bought the ATI kit and had belt problems from hell along with alot of other people on this board... then i upgraded to a SDCE spring tensioned kit and belt slip was in the past. Then i was given a chnce i couldnt pass up... so i went turbo because for street car they ARE the fastest.
We will see how i really feel when my kit is done.
Kyle
Old 03-14-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

if you would have gone Vortech you wouldn't have had any of those issues. my personal opinion is superchargers are better for the street cause of a more linear power curve, and turbo's are great for the track/racing cause of the top end pull they have.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SSBlue, I am a turbo fan, don't get me wrong, I was just stating something which I knew to be fact. In fact, I'm opening up the car tomorrow to start fabbing up my own little turbo kit.

EDIT: here's that fastest LS1 by the way http://www.weracehardcore.com/Racing.php
Old 03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know, they are roots style superchargers, i was just saying that they dont use turbochargers in any of those cars. It just shows the preference for high performance is superchargers.
The reason those cars run superchargers is because the rules say they have to use superchargers!

Look at mike morans car, it really shows that supercharger superiority when it comes in with less inches, more weight, and plows 10-12 MPH faster than most other people are going in the class

In every single form of drag racing where turbochargers are allowed on an even playing field, they dominate by a massive margin

There is no question about it, turbos are superior on race cars. Top fuel cars right now arn't a question of horsepower so much as traction. Untill they improve the amount of traction available adding more HP is going to do nothing but create a smoke show.

Quick Reply: Why turbo?