Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

california leagal fi system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can make big power on the P-1SC. I have 6.0 gaskets on my rebuilt ls1. I have full exhaust and am running the p1 charger. I am currently putting down 460rwhp. I am about to pully down and try for 490rwhp. The 460 was with only 5.5psi. Its pulls hard, and it is CA street legal in all ways.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redline.inc
You can make big power on the P-1SC. I have 6.0 gaskets on my rebuilt ls1. I have full exhaust and am running the p1 charger. I am currently putting down 460rwhp. I am about to pully down and try for 490rwhp. The 460 was with only 5.5psi. Its pulls hard, and it is CA street legal in all ways.
Not trying to start anything, but was that with or without the exhaust in your Sig? Your sig is not CARB legal. Just clarifying?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much is the p1 ati procharger?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thunder Racing and T-Byrne are at least 2 of the sponsors that carry it. >>>>
http://www.thunderracing.com
http://www.tbyrne.com
Old 04-05-2005, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

With the cats on, I put 430rwhp, and this was done running rich. I putting a Racetronix fuel system in the car next week so that I can get the car running perfect.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wildman
If it passed emissions (the sniffer test) and it wasn't insane loud, let the people do what they want to their cars. If after-market CATS can get the job done, let them use it.
The Smog Check sniffer test is a small sampling of two data points. Whereas the California ULEV and Fed EPA emissions certifications are conducted over a wide range of driving environments. We are lucky that only two data points are measured.

Most californian's arent aware of how shity the air would be without these emissions requirements in place.

Short term thinking: I want to accelerate faster.
Long term thinking: I dont want to see the air I breath.

Last edited by SSpeedracer; 04-05-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
The Smog Check sniffer test is a small sampling of two data points. Whereas the California ULEV and Fed EPA emissions certifications are conducted over a wide range of driving environments. We are lucky that only two data points are measured.

Most californian's arent aware of how shity the air would be without these emissions requirements in place.

Short term thinking: I want to accelerate faster.
Long term thinking: I dont want to see the air I breath.
Maybe you should re-read my post. Here, I will say it again for you.
If it PASSED EMMISSIONS, who the F*** cares what you have done to your engine. You know with a good tune, you are putting LESS emissions into the air.
Some combo's actually make your engine more efficient, hence cleaner then if it were stock. I agree that we need control, but there shouldn't be any visual if it passed emmissions.

"Long term thinking: I dont want to see the air I breath"
-Neither do I.
Don't twist my words please.

Reality thinking: You can go fast and make low emmissions... Hey... what a concept.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I totally agree with not having to go throug a visual as long as it passes the sniffer.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

now now fellas lets not get this into a I HATE CALI EMMISIONS LAWS...cuz we all do its basiclly understood when you see some1 from cali on this board...and yeah its pretty much the dumbest thing ever that you could pass the part that counts but fail the part that has nothing at all to do with emmisions..but eh thats our tree huggin hippie democrats for ya
Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Register in the right county and you get smog exempt Gotta love the 707 for that
Old 04-13-2005, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

what city is the 707?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

707 is in Vallejo, Fairfield, Vacaville, and Napa
Old 04-13-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, yes... it's only the Democrats that are responsible for Cali's emission laws. They're also gay-loving, God-hating, tree-hugging know-it-alls that seem think some sort of social responsibility and compassion is actually a good thing. Save your Limbaugh/Savage/Hannity parrotting and stay on topic.

That said, Redline has the answer to Cali emissions. Stay with the P1. If you feel frisky, go to a 224/224/114. Maybe even some long tubes. At this point in time, I think the best emissions strategy is to try multiple smog locations... and only locations that will allow you to "pre-test" the vehicle. That way, if they're not gonna pass the car they will tell you WITHOUT transmitting failure or gross polluter data to DMV. Many shops do a very casual visual inspection. It's also a great idea to take your car to get smogged at a shop that knows you and has seen your car... they know you're not some SmogCop there to bust them... and they're much more likely to cut you some slack. Or at least pre-test the car for you.

Good luck to all... I really agree with the sentiment that this test should be tailpipe only. Who cares about the means to the end?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Teching In

i live in the 707 but we still have smog here before the dyno it was who you knew i got my 88 camaro camaro smogged with a carbureted 355 13:1 compression 240/248@.050 .569/.569 roller cam ton of stuff then when it went to dyno smog it became harder to fake the test my old boss has a 88 5.0 with 10.5:1 6lbs vortech v1 svo heads trickflow intake western motorsports computer where u can adjust fuel curve and advance boost retard everything all he did was add cats and it passed better than a new car the hard part about always going to a shop you know is that ca is doing a random selection for ppl to go to the test only stations my buddy got picked last year to go to a test only with his 98 mustang it will pass fine no matter what if there is a good tune everything works and all your parts are carb approved.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Whoa, random selection to go to test only shop... that sucks HARD!
Old 04-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Teching In

yes it does my old boss got selected also and they called in every part to see if the carb #s were legit.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wildman
If it PASSED EMMISSIONS, who the F*** cares what you have done to your engine. You know with a good tune, you are putting LESS emissions into the air. Some combo's actually make your engine more efficient, hence cleaner then if it were stock. I agree that we need control, but there shouldn't be any visual if it passed emmissions.
Wrong. Read CFR Title 40 before you get spun-up. I apologies for appearing to twist your words. That was not my intention.

Smog check does not test for A/C load, startup, acceleration and other tests that are conducted to meet state and federal regulations. If that were the case, it would take several hours to re-test each car. In order to shorten the test time, only two drive tests are done to check if equipment has failed. The visual is a quick check to see if anything was altered.

Please tell me what combo fails the visual inspection but increases engine efficency. Maybe GM R&D can use your help.

If you "know" your putting less emissions out, there is nothing stopping you from getting an executive order assignment (EO#) for the alterations on your car. EO# are not reserved for aftermarket manufactures. However, independent testing is ~ $3500 and not many would pass anyway.

RW99 makes some very good points when going to smog check. The only thing I would add is that a post on the other board indicates that "pre-test" is transmitted to the DMV. "Manual test" might be a better alternative. Also, I have tested my car 5 times over the last 4 months and am pretty confident a cam with higher duration than the TR224/114 could pass emissions with stock catalytic converters. Just make sure overlap doesnt increase.

Don't take this post as a knock against modifying a f-body. In fact, my own SS has many alterations that effect HP and emissions. Right or wrong, it seems many enthusiasts dont understand the logic behind smog check. I understand it and think it makes perfect sense. Keeps 99.9% of the cars running clean, and allows me squeeze extra HP out.

Great.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Teching In

smog check keeps the cars that run like crap off the road usually cars that are modded are done right and pass just fine in some areas smog checks are done by load now on a dyno
Old 04-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Teching In

its more for keeping the cars that run like crap off the road rather than keeping the highly modded cars off the road
Old 04-13-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SR:
Again, that does not answer the question. I know what they do. And I understand the reasons behind checking for emmissions.

I have had a smog inspection fail me on the visual on a LID alone. I believe he was wrong, but how can I argue. Another place passed it with no problem.

I also had my emmissions fail when I had nothing more than a lid and a cat back. I had to go get the car WB tuned and I passed.

My point is that a visual should not be needed if your car meets the EMMISSIONS part of the test. If it failed, then the visual should be performed.

You act like John's SS puts out the EXACT same amount of pollutants as Jim's Firehawk. Because of course, GM's engines are an exact science and can not be improved upon.

Now... I don't care what the rules are now... If you want to discuss something... argue against: "if your car meets the EMMISSIONS part of the test what difference does the visual make?"

Last edited by Wildman; 04-13-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: california leagal fi system?