Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

california leagal fi system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by potholesrbad
its more for keeping the cars that run like crap off the road rather than keeping the highly modded cars off the road
Correct, but the visual will keep a moded car parked that has no problem running good.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Teching In

for sure i agree with you there its just a way for some state or gov't to make money by having a business pay to get a carb #
Old 04-13-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wildman- from the consumers standpoint your post makes perfect sense.

The problem is that a car may pass smog check emissions test and still be a gross polluter.

Common example: long tube headers with relocated OEM catalytic convertor. At 15 and 25 MPH and operating temperature the emissions will be near identical to OEM. However, at start up the catalyst hasn't lit up yet and HC will be high. At higher RPM's the longtube headers will scavenge more and HC will be high. However, Smog Check doesnt test cold start up or high RPM operating conditions.

The car passes the sniffer test but may still fail fed/CA standards. So, the visual inspection plays a role in this case.

It does go overboard with things like you Lid experience.

Whats funny is that each time the CARB adds a restriction, something else gets worse. The latest is new data supporting the idea that catalytic convertors add to global warming. The good news is that without earlier legislation we wouldnt have the HP and driveablity associated with fuel injectors. The bottom line is that burning something is always dirty. No surprise there.

If the california tree huggers were really after you and me, they would set their sights on HPT/LS1Edit. However, you and I aren't even a blip on the radar..... yet.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now that is something I didn't know. But I did know moving and/or using after market cats and long tubes were illegal, but I didn't know why.

You know, in the end, if they revised the tests just to get the gross polluters, most of us wouldn't have a problem with that.
IMO California has a way of making an otherwise honest (legal) person do something illegal just to enjoy things that he/she likes. And that does not just go for cars.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
your only option is to move out of that tree hugging state.
Or find a smog connect which is not too hard

Quick Reply: california leagal fi system?