Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stainless Works Install Day... I lost count

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Fiery Features Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stainless Works Install Day... I lost count

Well, we are finally getting down to the wire but ran into a few more snags. Don't tell me that you are surprised We thought about beating on the downpipe to make the steering rack fit, but realized it might be better to lower the steering rack and lengthen the rag joint instead. Brian is concerned with bump steer so he will probably have to engineer a bump steer kit. Brian also fabricated a spacer for the swaybar. Here are a few pictures of where we are at right now....

Old 04-17-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

almost there, bet ya can't wait to get thing rolling!
Old 04-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Fiery Features Director

Things we have left to do include:
Re-fab the cold side piping
mount power steering pump
Build the new lines for the PS
re-mount vacuum reservoir
Finish the turbo oil lines
route vacuum lines to WG, BOV and solenoid
Install water pump
build and install the Megasquirt
few other small things....

I am sooooooooooo ready for this car to be done!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zangel
I feel ya, looking great so far...I can't believe all the fabbing that is needed for these kits Glad my s/c'er prepped me well for it.
J
Old 04-17-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zangel
Things we have left to do include:
Re-fab the cold side piping
mount power steering pump
Build the new lines for the PS
re-mount vacuum reservoir
Finish the turbo oil lines
route vacuum lines to WG, BOV and solenoid
Install water pump
build and install the Megasquirt
few other small things....

Wish I could say the same. lol

Looks great
Old 04-17-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok so this is way off topic: What brand of Kmember is that? How long have you been running it?

Greg
Old 04-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by disassembled
ok so this is way off topic: What brand of Kmember is that? How long have you been running it?

Greg
It is a BMR K-member and I have had it in the car since June 04.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good Z..... looking good!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is later and I am drunk but what is the problem with the stainless works pipes and if so why are you going with there product as there are more than a few companies that have well working kits?
Old 04-18-2005, 05:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldnt tell from the pics, but does your BMR k-member have the built in motor mounts.
IF not to get the downpipe to fit better you could shim the driver side about a 1/4" which will help with it. IF not then youll have to adjust it the way your doing.

also how much power you shooting for that you need megasquirt right away. i think your stock PCM with HPT or ls1edit would be able to support that turbo setup to about 550rwhp
Old 04-18-2005, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah,bmr k-member has mounts built in.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

2FAST4U: This was the only "readily available" manifold-and-pipe kit available when we started acquiring parts. Stainless Works is a great company, so I had no problem ordering up the parts from them. The only issue is they're offering a kit that (IMHO) still needs some work to be an easy-to-install setup. All the issues I'm finding with the kit will be forwarded back to Al Noe @ SW so he can alter the kit if he wishes. Overall the kit isn't bad at all. It tucks everything in pretty well, and other than these fitment issues which can be corrected, not much would really have to be done for the average joe to bolt this up.

smokinHawk: The 98's are so limited in MAF range, that I don't really see the point in trying to struggle through making it work. The MegaSquirt will take us from idle to however much power this setup will safely make. It makes more sense to me to start with the easier to tune setup from the beginning Also the K-member has integral motor mounts, which we've already slotted the holes to shove the motor over to the passenger side. I built a pair of 1/8" steel spacers, but that didn't give me the clearance where I needed it -- at all. I would still have to bash the downpipe BADLY to fit the steering joint. We're talking by nearly an inch. Lowering the steering rack gives you all the room you could want, but has the unfortunate side effect of needing a new rag joint (and the possibility of bump steer).
Old 04-18-2005, 11:05 AM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default MAF table

The Maf table would get maxed out on any car pushing decent boost youll just have to compensate throught the PE table. Jerry(cablebandit) and I both pushing well over 600 on the dynojet and for me decently over 600 on the mustang dyno. Those 60's that the car has should support it fine just tuning it through the PE table for WOT. Of course my car is an alcoholic.

Originally Posted by Brains
2FAST4U: This was the only "readily available" manifold-and-pipe kit available when we started acquiring parts. Stainless Works is a great company, so I had no problem ordering up the parts from them. The only issue is they're offering a kit that (IMHO) still needs some work to be an easy-to-install setup. All the issues I'm finding with the kit will be forwarded back to Al Noe @ SW so he can alter the kit if he wishes. Overall the kit isn't bad at all. It tucks everything in pretty well, and other than these fitment issues which can be corrected, not much would really have to be done for the average joe to bolt this up.

smokinHawk: The 98's are so limited in MAF range, that I don't really see the point in trying to struggle through making it work. The MegaSquirt will take us from idle to however much power this setup will safely make. It makes more sense to me to start with the easier to tune setup from the beginning Also the K-member has integral motor mounts, which we've already slotted the holes to shove the motor over to the passenger side. I built a pair of 1/8" steel spacers, but that didn't give me the clearance where I needed it -- at all. I would still have to bash the downpipe BADLY to fit the steering joint. We're talking by nearly an inch. Lowering the steering rack gives you all the room you could want, but has the unfortunate side effect of needing a new rag joint (and the possibility of bump steer).
Old 04-18-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I know it CAN be done by BS'ing the stock PCM, but it can be done BETTER with this (very inexpensive) aftermarket MegaSquirt Not to mention, with the MS we can be actively tuning while the car is driving down the road -- not datalogging, stopping, changing parameters, reflashing, then starting on the road again.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:20 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can change some perameters on the HP tuners I traded my ls1edit out for HP. It only takes like 17 sec to even load a tune not bad at all. Ill go to the 2 or 3 bar upgrade later. For now though that program works well and is alot more efficient than edit. I believe thats what you tune with right Brian. Either way why would you want to run a back to back tune and not let the car cool down between tunes. Your IAT's will be high changing on the fly and redoing WOT passes. Just my opinion but megasquirt is good from what I hear I believe Tiago is going to that eventually.

Originally Posted by Brains
Don't get me wrong, I know it CAN be done by BS'ing the stock PCM, but it can be done BETTER with this (very inexpensive) aftermarket MegaSquirt Not to mention, with the MS we can be actively tuning while the car is driving down the road -- not datalogging, stopping, changing parameters, reflashing, then starting on the road again.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:45 PM
SSU Moderator

Originally Posted by ESR
You can change some perameters on the HP tuners I traded my ls1edit out for HP. It only takes like 17 sec to even load a tune not bad at all. Ill go to the 2 or 3 bar upgrade later. For now though that program works well and is alot more efficient than edit. I believe thats what you tune with right Brian. Either way why would you want to run a back to back tune and not let the car cool down between tunes. Your IAT's will be high changing on the fly and redoing WOT passes. Just my opinion but megasquirt is good from what I hear I believe Tiago is going to that eventually.

I think you are forgetting that no 2-3bar upgrade is available for the '98's....and ZAngel's are is a '98.

I would rather change on the fly...but that's just me.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:58 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

good point completely forgot about that being a '98

Quick Reply: Stainless Works Install Day... I lost count