Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 Pumpgas power..... Who is king of the hill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i dont think the point of the thread was singling out 10.1 compression. i think the guy wants to know how much he can make with pump gas safely. i dont think it really matters iron or alluminum as long as its set up correctly. at least thats what i take from it.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a Iron Block 408cid with a F1. On 91 octane I made 739rwhp @ 11Psi. This was on a really shitty tune, 14 degrees of timing, and not reving it past 5,500rpms. This is WITHOUT Meth. I am going to crank it up to 15psi w/meth and rev it to 6k and see what it does.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperSport2000
I run a Iron Block 408cid with a F1. On 91 octane I made 739rwhp @ 11Psi. This was on a really shitty tune, 14 degrees of timing, and not reving it past 5,500rpms. This is WITHOUT Meth. I am going to crank it up to 15psi w/meth and rev it to 6k and see what it does.

cool be sure to start a new thread when you do.
Kyle
Old 05-14-2005, 02:42 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
No, I am not kidding! If you'd like, I can start naming parts! Stock LS1 engine, TEA heads, Lunati billet rods, Turbonetics 60-1's, Racegates, Spearco 282 intercooler, Etc. I own a little buisness doing auto repair and custom fabrication, so all my fabrication is free! I get some parts at cost, but for the most part, I kept an eye out for second hand new parts. It wasn't easy, nothing is!

I consider this a "cheap" setup. As far as Monty Williams motor, I had the exact same motor minus the twin turbos. Monty and I built our motors at the same place at the same time. Sold mine to a member of this board on New Years.

I decided I wanted a cheap motor with a little boost. My goals have changed with my family and I wanted a low dollar "fast" car. Unfortunatly Fastimes motorworks cannot tune the stock PCM's yet so I am stuck going elseware for tuning.

I guess with a pumpgas car, tuning is how you get there. With 347" and good heads, 750+ rwhp is attainable on pumpgas with a good tune.

AGAIN, LET'S NOT TURN THIS INTO AN ARGUMENT... JUST POST UP YOUR POWER NUMBERS AND COMBO.
Wait...so you're "going" to make xxx power but you haven't done anything yet? Post that you've spent less than xxxxx dollars once you've done it. Then I'll be impressed. And what's so top of the line about a stock block, stock crank, middle of the road rod on a stock pcm??? Top of line might be: billet crank, carillo rods, bs3, c5r block, etc. You are doing a nice build, but nowhere near TOP of the line as you stated. Even with what you're using, I don't see you doing it for less than 15 grand. When you're done, you can bs me and tell me you did it. My fave part about the budget build was mentioning fasttimes. Do they even tune for less than a grand? They are TOP of the line, both in quality and price! lol
Old 05-14-2005, 03:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
Wait...so you're "going" to make xxx power but you haven't done anything yet? Post that you've spent less than xxxxx dollars once you've done it. Then I'll be impressed. And what's so top of the line about a stock block, stock crank, middle of the road rod on a stock pcm??? Top of line might be: billet crank, carillo rods, bs3, c5r block, etc. You are doing a nice build, but nowhere near TOP of the line as you stated. Even with what you're using, I don't see you doing it for less than 15 grand. When you're done, you can bs me and tell me you did it. My fave part about the budget build was mentioning fasttimes. Do they even tune for less than a grand? They are TOP of the line, both in quality and price! lol
There is no reason why i couldn't cost him less then 11k. I believe it. I am doing the same thing but have some stuff that cost a little bit more such as fully built short block. And AFR 225's. It's very easy to keep cost down when you do everything yourself.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

damn killa
Kyle
Old 05-14-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Don't be an ***!

I dont' lie I have no reason to lie. Other members on this board can vouch I don't lie. As far as not doing anything yet. I am almost done. Did I mention my build is with 321 stainless headers! And since when are Lunati prolite billet rods cheap?
For further reference, I have done alot of work with Fastimes. Including my last $20,000 18 degree tall deck motor, Call them and ask. 1-847-966-3278. Ask for Jeff D.! Do a search on LS1TECH from last year, you can see the ad I sold it in.
I think it's great you are disputing the truth, but don't tell me what I can't do or have'nt done.
I never started this thread saying I am going to make big power. I asked what other people had and did.

Being that you don't have a fast car, would'nt it be a better choice to P.M. me and ask me how I did my build so cheap, Or where I got my stuff. Or how I fabricated something. Then you might have a fast car!

I am not on here to have to argue, That is B.S.! We are all on here for the same reason, except you, and that is to learn and help each other out.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ok dammit who has the most tq on pump gas!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Who does have the most torque?

You have a badass car Mightymouse, What cam are you running?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

over 700 on 93 on old setup...new setup will go over 800 easily on pump
Old 05-14-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Who does have the most torque?

You have a badass car Mightymouse, What cam are you running?

i have no idea who has the most tq.. but this hp talk is old since peak tq and tq management is what is the make or break with pump gas.

my cam is from wheel through cam motion its a 236/231, .601/.594, 115*
Old 05-14-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Boost limit reached on 10:1 Compression

Being that I was running my mouth yesterday, I thought I would share this,

Due to this being the 2nd time this has happened, I am going to guess that I have reach the limit of how much boost can be thrown at a 10:1 compression LS1 setup. Today that was 18.6psi. The air/fuel curve looked sorta ok, and at 5200 RPM the max power was 816RWHP and 767FTTQ. That is where we let off of it because it was so started to run so rich, So much for the 800HP limit of the 71# injectors. A/F meter was pegged at 10:1. The HP Tuners Dongle that was sent off to be fixed came back and still does not function, so I could not tune anything. We were going to make another run and that is when Mr Gasket said, IM DONE. This is also the limit of the commetic MLS gasket with 10:1 compression.

Luckily it happened just when we started the car, Intake temp was 130 and boost was 18.6. 93 Oct on the previous run.

So what have I learned.

This is not the power limit on straight pump gas. This is the limit of 10:1 compression. Static has to be in the 18-22 range.

Throwing race gas at this would not have made any difference other than allowing me to rase the timing and possibly having a little more power.

I am done for now, until I opt for a lower compression piston and a stronger rod next year, I am just going to replace the gasket and run it at the 14.5PSI level.

So until someone else can make more than 822RWHP on just pump gas I am claiming king of the hill
Old 05-14-2005, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

hey Homer....

i know you don't know me from adam, whoever he is, but what i will say is the truth, as is everything that Nitrorocket has ever said on this board. i have seen first hand the quality of craftsmanship and fabrication he has done and in 2 weeks from today i will be entrusting my car as well as my motor, the Fast Times one that I bought from him, trans, converter, turbo components, suspension, wheels & tires, brakes, Fab9, fuel system, fuel inj. system, etc. etc. etc. etc., and MONEY! LOL. i'd say that's about a good $70,000 plus between the car, parts, and cash. i have known him for a while now and can vouch for ANYTHING he has to say on this board. he is a stand up guy and knows his $hit too. he bought my LS1 motor, had Fast Times do the machine work, and the rest is going to be all him! he and i have spoken time and again and everytime he got a new part for the project he would tell me what the cost was. and believe me, he has found some unbelievable deals. he can run down a price list if you still can't believe what has been said here. we are talking about the completed motor and complete twin turbo setup including all hot and cold side plumbing as well as a Spearco a2a intercooler. if he has $.01 more than the $11,000 he said he has into it, i would be really surprised.

btw...had you not been confrontational, twice, he would never have had to slap you in the face like that! so i hope you don't plan on crying about that too much. Top of the line, perhaps compared to what you've got, but comparable to the build quality of say......Y2KHAWK's car? i believe he still runs a stock block and crank and we've all seen his achievements! so if you have any further comments to make that are not possitive, how about doing like Nitro' requested and pm'ing people.

one last thing.......if anyone doesn't remember what this topic was about, reread the original post.

later,
Dave

Last edited by PRAY HRD; 05-14-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:09 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Well **** on who's graph has the most squigly marks..it doesn't prove ****. I seen a pump gas turbo LS1 go 9.4s this week. In fact, the setup on it looked stragely familiar..as if it may have been on another damn fast car before.

Did I also see someone mention Fast Times and CHEAP in the same sentence!?! Fast Times and badass cars makes a little more sense.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Wouldn't that then be an example of it not working on pump gas?

I made 754rwhp, t400 trans, on slicks, with C16. My 83 lb injectors are close to maxed, so that's over 950 crank hp.
no that would be an example of too much timing and not enough head stud tq..the car held 16 psi after just fine
Old 05-15-2005, 12:07 AM
8 Second Club

Being that you don't have a fast car, would'nt it be a better choice to P.M. me and ask me how I did my build so cheap, Or where I got my stuff. Or how I fabricated something. Then you might have a fast car!

I am not on here to have to argue, That is B.S.! We are all on here for the same reason, except you, and that is to learn and help each other out.
Since I have a slow car and since it sounds like we are about the same point in our projects (wouldn't your non-running car be considered slow too like mine?)...when both of ours are done, I hope you can put some of that money you saved up for a race because I will love to put a hurting on that TOP of the line project. We can meet halfway for a grand minimum. I'm sure you have it since you've saved so much money on your project.

Originally Posted by pray hard
btw...had you not been confrontational, twice, he would never have had to slap you in the face like that! so i hope you don't plan on crying about that too much. Top of the line, perhaps compared to what you've got, but comparable to the build quality of say......Y2KHAWK's car?
You're right...my stuff is nowhere near as nice as harlan's old setup.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:40 AM
9 Second Club

Since I have a slow car and since it sounds like we are about the same point in our projects (wouldn't your non-running car be considered slow too like mine?)...when both of ours are done, I hope you can put some of that money you saved up for a race because I will love to put a hurting on that TOP of the line project. We can meet halfway for a grand minimum. I'm sure you have it since you've saved so much money on your project.

You're right...my stuff is nowhere near as nice as harlan's old setup.

the race wouldn't be fair between you and Nitro'. he's building a full weight Pro Touring setup in a very sweet Chevelle with a bit of a lowered stance and big fat rims. can i assume you're building more of a drag or drag type car? i'm just wondering, you sure seem to dislike how little he has into the setup. is there a reason for that? it seems like your biggest issue is him mentioning "TOP of the line" because you keep bringing it up. not quite sure why you have to nit pick what someone else thinks about their project. i mean, if you're like me and you have 5 figures into your car 5,6,7, or more times over, than i can see you not wanting to accept that it is possible. i wish i could say i only spent $11K on my motor and eventual turbo setup, but i can't. i bought that Fast Times motor from him with all accessories and the Accell Gen 7 from him running for $11K alone! that however, was a bargain/steal in itself!

why don't you let us in on your build while you're adding your $.02. i'm sure Nitro' would be curious as am i about what your plans are. it's only fair if you're seeing his setup and wanting to put up a "grand minimum" for him to know what he's going up against. so whatcha got??? your plans must be to make at least 1000 fwhp to be talking this much. am i close?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:13 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
the race wouldn't be fair between you and Nitro'. he's building a full weight Pro Touring setup in a very sweet Chevelle with a bit of a lowered stance and big fat rims. can i assume you're building more of a drag or drag type car? i'm just wondering, you sure seem to dislike how little he has into the setup. is there a reason for that? it seems like your biggest issue is him mentioning "TOP of the line" because you keep bringing it up. not quite sure why you have to nit pick what someone else thinks about their project. i mean, if you're like me and you have 5 figures into your car 5,6,7, or more times over, than i can see you not wanting to accept that it is possible. i wish i could say i only spent $11K on my motor and eventual turbo setup, but i can't. i bought that Fast Times motor from him with all accessories and the Accell Gen 7 from him running for $11K alone! that however, was a bargain/steal in itself!

why don't you let us in on your build while you're adding your $.02. i'm sure Nitro' would be curious as am i about what your plans are. it's only fair if you're seeing his setup and wanting to put up a "grand minimum" for him to know what he's going up against. so whatcha got??? your plans must be to make at least 1000 fwhp to be talking this much. am i close?
11k for a fasttimes motor and all accessories IS a steal, no doubt. I have spent a decent amount of money but a lot of mine has been a waste because people have decided not to do what they said they would do. I am currently going through the court process with a shop in Canada for over 5 grand since they decided just not to buid my motor last year. Live and learn and hopefully I'll get it back someday!

My car isn't going to be very fast at all, but when people that don't even know what I'm doing call my car "slow," then it sounds like they'd have no problem racing. I guess if my car is slow, and he doesn't want to race, then his car must be a complete turd (how can that be it's got two turbos and an LS1?).

My car is nothing special...I'd guess it's going to be around 3500 lbs, stock-suspended, and it's also running an ls1 but nowhere near as nice as the other guy's. I am just poking fun at his top of the line comment because no one ever has a TOP of the line build if you know what I mean. We all do the best we can with what we can afford. Both your cars sound badass. I was just calling your buddy out on his "slow" remarks.

1000fwhp??? I'm aiming for roughly HALF of that! But I like being the underdog.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:21 AM
9 Second Club

alright man, just wondering. for at least a grand against 500hp..........i think he may be willing to work something out! if not, i'll see if i can. i'm sure the only reason he said your car is slow, aside from the confrontational aspects of the conversation, is because your sig mentions you having a bolt on only car. and we all know that's not going to be a 1/4 mile terror. hope you do get your money back. deal with reputable shops that have a good reputation behind them from now on. have a good one.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

We have been able to make 750 rwhp locked in a C5 with 93 octane. Car has a 427 C5r block, 6.0 liter FLP stage 3 heads, custom F1 blower kit at 18 psi, FLP Level 5 4L65E. It could possibly make more power but we are fighting rising IATs. Car has gone 9.9X @134-138 mph a few times with better times soon.

Quick Reply: LS1 Pumpgas power..... Who is king of the hill?