Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Roots Blower Is Coming!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01camarosspower
The blower we are using has the largest intercooler and heat exchanger that Magnacharger offers.
Nice work right there. I believe there is another group fitting a roots blower without a HE/intercooler. BAD idea. Trust a guy with a 2 roots blowers and a Kenne Bell.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unit 213 ...you are right !
This now looks like the battle to the moon in the cold US/RUS days...hehe!
Two teams...MMMHHMM!
I wonder what Mister HP ´s team is doing..... !

And yes the 2.4 or the 3.3 insatll would put some people back on there ATI promoter chairs.... !

Unit213 what KB are you running?????any pics...dont be shy Ford pics are also welcome...hahahah!

Again:

I am looking for a lower magna Intake for a LS1 !
Or a defect kit burnt blower or ....If someone wants to sell pls contact me (PM)!

Any websites with a roots or twin screw blower on a LS1 car/Hybris .....?????
Old 05-21-2005, 01:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

the kit on my '69 is based on the GTO kit. I haven't had any heat soak issues, the car runs pretty consistently at the track. Its not that loud either.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Mister HP's car was getting forged internals.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Mister HP's car was getting forged internals.
Guess HP is going for a save flight to the moon and back to earth!
Thx for the info!
Old 05-21-2005, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Even if they had to go with a Whipple 1600AX because of no room. It still would be better then that POS Heaton
Old 05-21-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

yeah,
if they could get a larger unit in there or a twin screw. if it maxes out at 500rwhp, its just not as justifible for most.

they are cool however and prolly have the best street manners
Old 05-21-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

500 hp would be more than enough for me. I've been wanting this since I ever dreamed about owning the Ls1. I love the GTPs sound a low end tq from the M90. A 112 or whipple would be amazing on my SS.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Launching!

I 've been waiting ever since whipple had a test kit for the LT1 back in the day, when on their website it said coming soon! Fast forward many years and still nothing from anyone. There is a reason that car manufactors use the eaton chargers on cars and not centrifugal ones- instant boost, self contained oil, and a life span of 100,000 miles. Who can argue with that. I personally hate getting into my car and feeling the low amount of torque my LS1 has, I would love to have all that extra boost where I spend the majority of my time-in the lower rpm range-Of course 7 grand isn't worth this kind of kit, I'd sacrifice that low end for a cheaper kit something such as Phamspeeds kit or the STS.

Do yo have any more details about the kit, or price, are you working some kind of deal with magna to get a better price instead of buying and converting a corvette kit. Also when I called up magna they told e they were looking at making their own kit that will fit under the cowl, if this is true I may have to wait and see before cuting up my cowl and moving the wiper arms. Are you able to hook the inlet up to an aftermarket air lid? What do you think the install time will be on your kit.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Launching!

D James you did point right to the topic....

most future magna owners would love to have more "ground" support from the magna...few are in it for hard core racing

the price is too high and this might be due to a 1500$ fee for the pat rights that magna has to pay...(heard that..no proof yet)

there would be a way to stuff the magna under the 4th gen hood!
a. dry sump
b. new styl k-member with ls1 sitting real low
c. new header styl
d. different engine mounts
e. hood work???
etc......

Who from the " low end ground rpm crowd" will pay for all this? NOBODY!

The old maggie thread is pulling to 22000 views ....still no Magna sales person in the mood to come in here and make some "Hard TALK"....call this ignoring the customer or waiting for the Japs to come out with a copy product....i dont know......!

The 112 Maggie with a higher option for a 2,4 screw charger would be the crowd pleaser!

As soon as we get a magna styl lower intake we will make a home / backyard edition.

Again someone selling a lower magna intake?????????????????????????
Old 05-22-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1 Hybrid Magna
D James you did point right to the topic....

most future magna owners would love to have more "ground" support from the magna...few are in it for hard core racing

the price is too high and this might be due to a 1500$ fee for the pat rights that magna has to pay...(heard that..no proof yet)

there would be a way to stuff the magna under the 4th gen hood!
a. dry sump
b. new styl k-member with ls1 sitting real low
c. new header styl
d. different engine mounts
e. hood work???
etc......

Who from the " low end ground rpm crowd" will pay for all this? NOBODY!

The old maggie thread is pulling to 22000 views ....still no Magna sales person in the mood to come in here and make some "Hard TALK"....call this ignoring the customer or waiting for the Japs to come out with a copy product....i dont know......!

The 112 Maggie with a higher option for a 2,4 screw charger would be the crowd pleaser!

As soon as we get a magna styl lower intake we will make a home / backyard edition.

Again someone selling a lower magna intake?????????????????????????

Exactly, the price of $6000 is rediculous for a roots blower. A home kit could be made for well under half if you could just find the lower intake.

I myself have a tubular K member which somehow dropped my motor at least an 1" into the engine bay giving me more clearance than a stocker. Now if only someone would sell that lower intake.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Launching!

BrandonSS.....we are getting more and more info and i havent seen such a jungle of confusion about a product like a Eaton charger...........!

The 3,3 screw charger head unit is 2150$
the 2,3 is 1750$ imagine what street terror the 3,3 would be be on a full build 402 LS2 ....0000000pppppppsssss

If they keep lookin i guess someone in China will offer a kit.....!
Old 05-22-2005, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I think a ton of folks would buy a $4000 supercharger kit from anyone, but when you get to $5500 folks are more picky.

Cutting the cowl and clearancing the hoods a bit is probably 90% necessary unless you source a shorter blower unit or figure out something else.

If it were me, I'd offer two units, a really short unit that makes less power, and then a taller unit for more power. How much power do those Kenne Bell kits add to Mustangs?
Old 05-22-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

ok so the blower isnt all that much is what your saying.

So where can someone get the lower intake manifold? There isnt that much fabbing needed, for someone that has done a little of it. So where does one get the lower intakenad how much does that cost?

Also is there any chance of a intercooler unit? I live in texas and there is no way I can have a non-intercooled setup on a daily driver. Well there is but it negates the expense of the kit itslef.

where are hard facts, hard numbers, and pictures. I wish these guys would not come in here and post until there are hard facts to be given out. Like PSJ's last post its on like 1.2 billion pages of posts, and there are no hard details.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Launching!

69firebird ......in my opinion there are some people setin in the background and laughing their......... out about us!
Its hyping up the topic and then selling a chaep 7500$ kit and if someone complains then ...he is a cheap azz....
The IC with a larger heat exchanger would be a must for Texas

John the 2,4 KB on a Ford did 700HP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are pics and dyno numbers on the KB website.

I cant believe that no one on ls1tech took a ride to magnousen and talk to them one on one about the ideas....23000 views

Our 3rd gen has no cowl issues and the srew type with a bigger IC will be our project.....located in the old world we have no market for a ls1 blower at all ..
Old 05-22-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so everyone that wants a roots blower is satisfied with 500hp right?

lets so some math,
Roots blower setup $5500

Stock LS1 motor add,
AFR Heads, Cam, Kooks headers, corsa exhaust, tune, less than $5000.00

I must really be missing something here,
Old 05-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Coal Mining Director

You're missing torque, lots of torque and great driveability. Stock cam with the Mag....rowdy cam na for 500.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
Ok so everyone that wants a roots blower is satisfied with 500hp right?

lets so some math,
Roots blower setup $5500

Stock LS1 motor add,
AFR Heads, Cam, Kooks headers, corsa exhaust, tune, less than $5000.00

I must really be missing something here,
comparing just peak hp numbers, you are definitely missing something. Magnas hit full boost at only 2000 rpm. Driving a smallblock with a roots blower feels like you are driving a big stroker engine. Heads/cam setups with the same peak hp figures are BORING by comparison. You don't feel heads/cam setups until the higher rpm. With the blower, the tires roast as soon as you touch the throttle.

Thats why some people prefer them. Magnas aren't the best for all-out hardcore racing or dynojet contests. They are simply excellent for 450-500 rwhp street cars though. The vast majority of consumers is more than happy with 'just' 500 rwhp in their daily driver.

Tony
Old 05-22-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to mention a 500 rwhp heads/cam car does not have anywhere close to mild street manners.

If there is a stockish/mild cam that will put AFR heads to 450-500 rwhp I'm all ears, I have the headers, corsa, and tuning taken care of.

Ryan
Old 05-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
not to mention a 500 rwhp heads/cam car does not have anywhere close to mild street manners.

If there is a stockish/mild cam that will put AFR heads to 450-500 rwhp I'm all ears, I have the headers, corsa, and tuning taken care of.

Ryan
A roots blower will indeed make a stock LS1 behave perfectly. Streetability will be outstanding. I digress back to the point of the HE/intercooler however. It's a must for a true daily driver.

Quick Reply: Roots Blower Is Coming!!