Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

keepin the heat in - exhaust coatings??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default keepin the heat in - exhaust coatings??

I have noticed that a lot of the serious twin turbo guys keep the turbos right off a set of stainless steel headers. Stainless is great over mild steel because it gets more hot exhaust gas to the turbine while radiating less heat into the engine compartment. In other words, it gets the heat straight to the turbo more efficiently. Getting good exhaust flow to the turbo is important, but equally important is keeping that exhuast HOT!! Keeping the turbo close to the manifold allows less chance for heat loss....

Does the use of any heat coatings on your exhaust from the heads to the turbo help??? I've seen different things advertised where they'll coat the outside and even inside of your headers and they say it helps control heat. Is this true? I know exhaust gas temperatures can run up 1400F.

How about that header heat wrap tape?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The advantages are multiple and depend on the application ( STS has thrown a wrench into this with the rear mount ).
Like you stated, the more heat INSIDE the exhaust to the turbo will make it more efficient. This is great if you are running high boost levels at or near the max efficiency of your turbo setup. The ceramic coatings and wraps/tape for front style tubos will do two things....lower your underhood temps and increase the exhaust flow ( hotter = faster flow or more gas velocity ). Good all the way around IMHO.
Only down side can be to the cats, they can overheat and degrade with the hotter temps.
The rear mount turbo guys will benefit from the coatings, just not as much as the front folks. The ceramics will protect the turbo housing from corrosion and elements.
Few downsides, tons of up potential, I would do what the wallet allows.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:30 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like using header wrap. Not the best thing for the metal. Mine are getting coated w/ something similar to what Jet Hot uses for their 2000* coatings. I'm doing everything, bottom of the wastegates, turbine housings, piping, headers, etc. Mine's M/S too, so it's even more important that a S/S setup.