Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hydrolocked STS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy..... That STS kit sure sounds great!

Sounds like STS better get there sh*t together and do a little redesign!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

damn that sucks exactly why i didnt get 1,not cause they're necessarily bad,but because of the weather in FL i wasnt about to risk it in the rain and with flooding
Old 06-08-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mike s. do you have an sts?
dont see it listed in your sig.
cause if you don't I think people should know.
it appears they think you do and are blaming the sts.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Considering this happens to ATI cars often as well. LOL
Old 06-08-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he does have the STS I think the problem lies with starting a car that is sitting in a couple feet of water. It's pretty obvious what will happen.

Definetly though with this kit you have to use your head and be careful with big pools of water. I have driven mine in the rain a number of times, zero issues.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blackbird
If he does have the STS I think the problem lies with starting a car that is sitting in a couple feet of water. It's pretty obvious what will happen.

Definetly though with this kit you have to use your head and be careful with big pools of water. I have driven mine in the rain a number of times, zero issues.
He had a powerdyne, gotten rid of so he could go turbo... But he posted a question a couple of days ago in a thread about boost gauges - So it sounds as though whatever turbo kit he's going with is still in the process of being installed.

I've driven mine in the rain as well with no problems, though I don't boost in rain and avoid any monstrous puddles.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Completely sorry guys, I have sold the s/c, and have not had a chance to shop for a turbo, the car is still N/A. I asked the question here b/c it was the newest thread about a possible hydrolock, parish8 answered my question, it is hydrolocked, I am going to get a new motor. In no way am I blaming STS for my hydrolock, hell, I dont even have a turbo on my car. I didnt mean to query this thread uninvited.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn Mike S., good luck with the new motor.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

That sucks! Nothing like spending money on something you weren't expecting

Good luck and whatcha gettin'?
Old 06-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Dont know yet, insurance is paying for the repair, since the motor is coming out I may add a cam at the the machine shop, why, you got a suggestion? The motor was stock, all mods listed in sig, my buddy bought the s/c and I am still installing it on his 98 SS convertible, I have never messed with forced induction so its been slow getting it together. I did not realize the confusion until I read the whole thread, STS turbos are mounted under the rear axle are they not? Very cool system, clever design, I can see the cause for concern in pooled water. Regardless of forced induction or not, do not drive your car in pooled water, I learned the hard way.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Teching In

I just knew there had to be a thread about hydrolock with the STS. I'm normally a blower guy but the STS idea really appeals to me except for the intake. I cringe when I see the intake under the truck. Just driving down the freeways, with the tires splashing all that road grime, would soak the intake, sock or no sock. I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon where we all have webbed feet!

I have been trying to figure out a clean way to route intake air from somewhere higher on the truck. Has anyone done this?...maybe some sort of flat tube between the bed and cab, similar to cup car exhaust?...or even a tube routed into the engine compartment? I was even thinking that some sort of shielding could be built easily enuff to keep the major splash off of it.

I will probably go the STS route if I can come up with a solution here. If anyone has suggestions or actually come up with a fix, I would appreciate the info...and some pics, if possible. thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 12:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

It's actually quite simple to make an intake pipe and place the filter somewhere else and/or build a shield for it. Trucks are cakes. The cars are harder but it's been done a few times.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Default STS Snorkel Kit

This is Ben from STS.

As soon as we heard about this issue with the GTO we've been trying to contact the owner of the car. If any of you know him, please have him contact us.

We've got a really easy solution for the GTOs with water issues. We've got a snorkel hose that goes from the turbo over to the rear bumper splash guard. The air filter sits above the rear splash guard and is totally protected. We run the same snorkel hose with the trucks and it works great!

For the Camaros, I should have a deal with APC done today. They sell a shield that protects the filter.

Air filter location should not be a reason not to purchase this system.

Any questions, call 866-WE-TURBO and our techs can help you with any questions.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 06-13-2005, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by turboC3
This is Ben from STS.

As soon as we heard about this issue with the GTO we've been trying to contact the owner of the car. If any of you know him, please have him contact us.

We've got a really easy solution for the GTOs with water issues. We've got a snorkel hose that goes from the turbo over to the rear bumper splash guard. The air filter sits above the rear splash guard and is totally protected. We run the same snorkel hose with the trucks and it works great!

For the Camaros, I should have a deal with APC done today. They sell a shield that protects the filter.

Air filter location should not be a reason not to purchase this system.

Any questions, call 866-WE-TURBO and our techs can help you with any questions.

Thanks,

Ben
Nice! would the Camaro shield mean no sock? Or is it sock and shield?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Default Sock and Shield

Originally Posted by Bad Mojo
Nice! would the Camaro shield mean no sock? Or is it sock and shield?
In our testing so far it has just been the shield. However, if you are seeing any problems, we would recommend both.

The Drycharger does a great job, but over time it can lose its water repellancy. Scotch Guard works really well to make the sock water repellant again.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by turboC3
In our testing so far it has just been the shield. However, if you are seeing any problems, we would recommend both.

The Drycharger does a great job, but over time it can lose its water repellancy. Scotch Guard works really well to make the sock water repellant again.
Coolio, let us know when ya get the details worked out with APC and I'll be grabbing one

Absolutely zero water problems on my F-Body, but I hate installing/removing the sock
Old 06-13-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have questions? STS has answers! lol Or at least it seems to be so.

There's an STS in my future and I'm still engineering a "waterless" filter location. Sound like STS is ahead of me. I had a good solution, but the company I had in mind sorta went away. Anyhow, it's just a small engineering problem that can be solved. I want to do it barefoot (no sock).

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked STS?