Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 04:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Turbo?

Hey guy's I just got a raise at work and I was thinking I should start getting the part's put together for my winter project now. I had originally planned to go with a forged 427 from Cartek or MTI and spray a 300-400 shot. I am having second thought about that after seeing some of the car's on here with Forged 347's-408's with Turbo's. I am thinking I might want to do a 347 with a Turbo and perhap's a little bit of bottle. I would like to make around 700hp on pump gas and maybe 800-850 on race gas no bottle. My car is a 2002 Trans Am and I am looking to get it into the low 9's possible high 8's and still be able to drive it out to the track. What do you guy's think I should do? And if you think I should go the turbo way what turbo should I get? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

well, from what you are describing that is the same goals that im going with for my turbo setup right now. however i live in the arizona heat, so its very difficult to make that kinda power with the crappy heat and gas we have out here, so i kinda over did it. im going with a 408 stroker and a gt55 turbo. hoping to make 700+ rwhp and 825-900 rwhp on race fuel.

if its gonna be a street driver, id suggest going with a 408 so you will have that extra cubige to help with the down low tq on the street, otherwise it might not be quite as DD friendly.

Do you plan on making this a street/strip car? how often would you take it to the track?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
well, from what you are describing that is the same goals that im going with for my turbo setup right now. however i live in the arizona heat, so its very difficult to make that kinda power with the crappy heat and gas we have out here, so i kinda over did it. im going with a 408 stroker and a gt55 turbo. hoping to make 700+ rwhp and 825-900 rwhp on race fuel.

if its gonna be a street driver, id suggest going with a 408 so you will have that extra cubige to help with the down low tq on the street, otherwise it might not be quite as DD friendly.

Do you plan on making this a street/strip car? how often would you take it to the track?

Yeah it pretty much already is a Street/Strip car. I drive it on the street's once or twice and I race it atleast once a week if not twice. So yeah it will be raced atleast once a week April-october.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

hmm, i guess if you only plan on driving it on the street occasionally like that, you can prob go more extreme. you wont necessarily need a stroked motor then, and would be cheaper to go with a forged 346 and a turbo prob around t76 or maybe a little bit larger if you want to have room to expand. you dont want a turbo sooo huge that it will take forever to spool on the 346. i guess w2w is doing a lot of FI motor setups and seems to be pretty popular with that. or you can go the mainstream and get a phamspeed kit. i hear good things about ptk kits, however there are non around to really look at or have results on.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Did you ever get your turbo kit configured?

Quick Reply: What Turbo?