Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any1 know who makes a SINGLE turbo kit for a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any1 know who makes a SINGLE turbo kit for a C5?

My cousin is in the market for buying a single turbo for his car. Its a 02 c5. He really wants a single turbo but he wants a kit instead of a custom fabed setup. So do any of you guys know who might offer something like this?

For some reason he doesn't want a twin turbo....... but that might be the only way to forced induction with a vette. He is kinda of wanting a t76 or something very similair and the car will eventually see a built motor but for now its bolt ons and probably a camshaft, with the turbo install.

Josh S.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think that anyone has figured out how to package a single turbo yet for a corvette. There is just so little room under the hoods of those cars. I dunno if you have seen pics of the locations that they put the turbos at when they do a twin kit, but it is insane. GL findin one but i dont think any of th ibg names have made any. GL

John
Old 08-10-2005, 12:00 PM
9 Second Club

Cerra or something used to have a kit...
Old 08-10-2005, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Cerra & another company made a single turbo kit. The Cerra kit with alot of work will work and the other kit is just ****, puts the turbo where the battery goes. He will have to do some serious custom work or get a twin turbo kit. Pro Turbo Kits, HP, and TTI are a few of the companys out there with twin kits. Andy at A&A Corvettes is working on a kit that looks like it will work well, you may want to check on that. Like stated above there is just not alot of room to work with.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

The Pro Turbo kit almost looks like it would work as a single it just needs the turbo on one side or the other.

Do you guys have a link to the "cerra" kit or how to get a hold of these guys?

Josh S.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:11 AM
Staging Lane

Here is a place out in Colorado.....

http://www.4redlinemotorsports.com/a...ochargers.html
Old 08-11-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 08-11-2005, 06:32 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do, don't let him buy an HP kit, check this out. Bob

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=26
Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Guy in MY 99TA
My cousin is in the market for buying a single turbo for his car.
Unfortunately there aren't any single turbo kits currently being made that are proven. Cerra is the closest and even that took a great deal of reworking to operate without melting everything in sight.

I would recommend your brother explore twin turbo kits. TTi or LPE would be my recommendation. The HP kit is too new to be proven, same with the PTK setup.

Mark
Old 08-11-2005, 09:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Cerra kits are the only single systems that were made. Unfortunately alot had to be done to the kit to make serious power, but its hard to find a system. PTK setup is your best bet. Looks good and performs even better.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
PTK setup is your best bet. Looks good and performs even better.
And you say that because you sell the PTK setup. Let's try to be fair here.

The PTK C5 kit has not been proved. Only a handful of kits have been discussed on the forum. The first had very questionable initial results (customer withholding dyno sheets, driving around with his hood cut in half, etc) and the second blew up his trans before tuning could be complete.

I'm certainly not suggesting that the PTK setup isn't good or wont eventually be proved, but to come on the forum, not state your inherent bias and then say the PTK kit is the best is total bull and frankly unprofessional.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

if your wanting to make the most power out of a prefabed kit, there is no doubt the PTK kit would be your best bet. it has the best theoritical layout, can support BIG turbos, decent sized downpipes, good IC.
all that needs is a good tune and fuel, drive train set up what more could you want?

dont think there is any biasim there.
the TTi kit cant hang the turbos that the PTK can, though it seemsed to be packaged nicer, the standard LPE kits cant hang them either without custum work which they can do.

the only unproven kits that i would worry about are those with bad designs taht promise high HP goals, like a certain log style kit that promised it could make 800rwhp but with all the restrictions the motor got choked up.
if you look at th ePTK it is a good design, tubular headers that span out to a turbo that can be speced to your goals and engine. out through a adaquate downpipe.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mdhmi
And you say that because you sell the PTK setup. Let's try to be fair here.

The PTK C5 kit has not been proved. Only a handful of kits have been discussed on the forum. The first had very questionable initial results (customer withholding dyno sheets, driving around with his hood cut in half, etc) and the second blew up his trans before tuning could be complete.

I'm certainly not suggesting that the PTK setup isn't good or wont eventually be proved, but to come on the forum, not state your inherent bias and then say the PTK kit is the best is total bull and frankly unprofessional.

Cheers,

Mark
If he didn't believe in it, he wouldn't sell it. Period.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said - I'm not suggesting that the C5 PTK kit won’t eventually be able to generate some stout numbers. I’m suggesting that the kit hasn’t been proved reliable yet. BTW - I wasn' talking about liberal dynos west of the Rockies either.

Mark
Old 08-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Cerra Racing used to but they are gone.

Right now your choices are twin setup, there are 3 I would consider.

LPE, been around forever very reliable and a bit more costly than option 2 and 3

PTK, looks cool makes good power a bit soft in the low rpms, this kit is pretty new I think there is one out in Cali running around on the street a few more being tuned and finished up so looks like there will be a 3 running around soon. I would be very concerned about thermal issues though, the passenger side turbo is very close in location to where the Cerra turbo was which melted everything around it so all those parts had to be replaced with metal. Also in looking at pic's it seems quite a few things get relocated and battery access is questionable unless that is relocated to the trunk also. The hood pic I saw on the red one had some pretty big openings cut into it I suspect to release heat but this could probably also be addressed by removing the hood liner and installing heat sheild.

TTi, very stealthy if you don't know what your looking for you would never see it. similiar in design to the LPE kit. I have seen Dyno #'s in excess of 850 rwhp on a stock cube engine and north of 900rwhp on a big cube motor. I'm pretty sure there are well over a dozen of these kits now on the road and in surfing the fourms people seem generally happy with them. From a historical standpoint I think this is the 3rd generation of these kits each time they were improved to provide more power and address other issues with the past version to make them better. So they have 4 years of R&D under their belt which I think is a positive thing.

When making the decision on which kit to go with be careful of the it will be pretty obvious when they post and their opinions will always be biased. Do lots of research and reading then try and find a kit locally you are considering.

Good luck

Just some general info I thought you might find handy.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:20 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Whatever you do, don't let him buy an HP kit, check this out. Bob

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=26
wow looks like that had a ton of head aches come with it. but damn did that vette lay down a number! 790rwhp/750rwtq on a mustang dyno! thats fricken impressive!!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Turbo

Why go through the maze of plumbing and headaches when a supercharger is an easy bolt on. I have tuned many "BONE STOCK" C5's with 7 to 8 lbs of boost that layed down right around 500 RWHP. When I say stock I mean Stock!
The lowest vette layed 464 RWHP with an A4 in the summer and the highest was 505 RWHP with an M6...My LT1 is built and it layed down 648 RWHP, 612 Torque on pump gas with 12 lbs of boost and 722 RWHP/713 Torque with C-16, 15 lbs of boost and an aggressive tune..

Last edited by moehorsepower; 08-11-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Unfortunately there aren't any single turbo kits currently being made that are proven. Cerra is the closest and even that took a great deal of reworking to operate without melting everything in sight.

I would recommend your brother explore twin turbo kits. TTi or LPE would be my recommendation. The HP kit is too new to be proven, same with the PTK setup.

Mark
Mark,
What is not proven? I am getting a little tired of this remark if you want me to start talking about what is proven and things associateed with it I will. As far as I'm concerned it is you that is not proven, and if you want to start down that path...just poke away and see what happens.

It's out of some respect for George at TTi that I am not stating anything now, but if you continue I will and cc George with a explanation why his rep should better train his non experienced patrons.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

[IMG][/IMG]

LOOK AT THIS! why one when two looks like this? hey if you could have to girls at once would ya?

mark one thing that ptk has proven is that it makes a sh*t load of power!smoked my totally built 4l60e. set at 8.6 psi and busa couldnt get around me
Old 08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Mark,
What is not proven? I am getting a little tired of this remark if you want me to start talking about what is proven and things associateed with it I will. As far as I'm concerned it is you that is not proven, and if you want to start down that path...just poke away and see what happens.

It's out of some respect for George at TTi that I am not stating anything now, but if you continue I will and cc George with a explanation why his rep should better train his non experienced patrons.

And being that Shinobi's owned both kits, I think he would have a pretty good handle on with one would be the better choice. Jose has never steered anyone wrong and I'd also listen to Exotic performanceas well and read about their dealing with HP. All three of those guy's have more credibility than most.

Later,
Dave

Quick Reply: Any1 know who makes a SINGLE turbo kit for a C5?