9.64%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Which turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
Didn't you have to remove your A/C for this setup?
No , Still have the air. The alternator is relocated to the right side.
The crossover pipe is in a pour place and I have put a skid plate on it because my car is lowered 2" It has only hit a couple of times.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:20 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by johnsonracing
I have a HP Turbo Kit orderd should be here at the end of the month.the kit looked very nice with T-88/street kit.

I've never seen any pics of that kit, make sure you post up when you get it.

Also, I started a thread down the line somewhere in regards to them (maybe you responded?) but some people had some issues with them as far as service, timeliness and
Old 08-24-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
I've never seen any pics of that kit, make sure you post up when you get it.

Also, I started a thread down the line somewhere in regards to them (maybe you responded?) but some people had some issues with them as far as service, timeliness and
Yes, allegedly, problems for both customer AND installer.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by bboyferal
According to their product info., A/C is lost when installing the TTi Race Kit but not the street kit.

Why is it exactly that you lose the AC with the race kit? Is it because of the placement of the turbo that it sits in the area where the AC compressor is located?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:28 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Yes, allegedly, problems for both customer AND installer.

That is a since it would have offered up another alternative and hopefully made the market more competative. I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I think I just might learn to weld and do it myself.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
you get what you pay for.

i advise you compare results that are in the range of what your goals are.
Definately Not always the case Dave.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Why is it exactly that you lose the AC with the race kit? Is it because of the placement of the turbo that it sits in the area where the AC compressor is located?
The clearance gained for the hot parts, turbo and water tank in the area on the passenger side makes life a whole lot cleaner and easier.

By definition... "Race Kit" says; "We don't need no sticking compressors." The only time I miss it is the only time I can't use it anyway. Nothing says weight loss like sitting in the staging lanes in a black car, with black safety gear on a 95+ day, while they roll the street tire cars down the track and make the slick cars wait it out.

TTi Race Kit makes power.

Rick
Old 08-24-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001-WS6
TTi Race Kit makes power.

yall have seen the vids

Last edited by MECHAM; 08-24-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:11 AM
9 Second Club

I'd say it's between PTK and Hi-Flo. Does anybody here know what the clearance issues are between the TTi race and street kits?
TTi race kit did not have any clearnce issues on a stock ride height car, with stock front wheels and AFCOs tightened for the road.

Running around with the skinnies on, track loose AFCOs and a passenger during tuning street testing on nasty Michigan roads... we've had a hand full of rubs on the blowoff pipe which is the lowest part of the kit. Unless you are a parking lot daredevil with the speed bumps, I would not be worried with the TTi race kit clearance.

Lowered cars are going to struggle with most kits if you don't pay attention to the roads. The reality, is with a turbo kit, you're better off raising the car backup and putting a real wheel/tire combo the backend to fill up our stock 4x4 look anyway.

Rick
Old 08-24-2005, 11:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MECHAM

yall have seen the vids
Another black one snuck into the 9s last night.

Rumor has it the log shows a full .5s with 0% TPS reading while the driver changed his shorts after the 330 mark and then decided he better go get a number.

Rick
Old 08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlueFirehawk
Definately Not always the case Dave.

hehe yea i know, i was thinking the same thing as you are now right when i saw what i posted.

i will make an addendum

-make sure the vendor knows how to build a turbo system
-look at results not from the shop cars, but from customer cars
Old 08-24-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

& turbotech race kit makes the power
Old 08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnsonracing
I have a HP Turbo Kit orderd should be here at the end of the month.the kit looked very nice with T-88/street kit.
I wouldn't count on your kit being there any time soon or there ever HP sucks they took 6 months to get the zo6 twin kit to EPP and still they never sent out the directions or the carbon fiber pieces. I would ask for your money back and order the Hi Flow kit. Never do bussiness with HP period!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my new personally philosophy is build/do it yourself. On everything. You'll save money, you'll most likely do it right (through research), and you'll feel better about creating something. Just need a welder, cutting tools, and time.

My Q.MP kit is good for a stock motor... but it it's "restrictive" exhaust system causes heat issues on bigger LS1's IMO.

One can get stock 02 manifolds to flow pretty good by porting the exhaust ports on them. aftermarket shorties will most likely flow better than a custom port though... I have a set of 02s and I'm going the cheap route.

I was planning on going below the k-member but I might just wind up getting rid of the A/C and having the down pipe go past the passenger side.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Default Which Turbo is best for me??

OK OK, I am learning a lot about the different turbos out there and I can see that everyone has there favorites, but what one is right for me? I was to try and get 450+ hp out of my currently stock 2000 SS camaro (except for the adjustable Borla 3" exhaust) but I am tight on money and wanted to know if there was a turbo kit that could do this with out any other major mods taking place. Maybe a turbo isn't the way to go...there are head and cam kits out there the say they increase HP to 405+ and run about $2000 but that would be a lot more work. What does everyone suggest?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jchilders
OK OK, I am learning a lot about the different turbos out there and I can see that everyone has there favorites, but what one is right for me? I was to try and get 450+ hp out of my currently stock 2000 SS camaro (except for the adjustable Borla 3" exhaust) but I am tight on money and wanted to know if there was a turbo kit that could do this with out any other major mods taking place. Maybe a turbo isn't the way to go...there are head and cam kits out there the say they increase HP to 405+ and run about $2000 but that would be a lot more work. What does everyone suggest?
Start playing your area's State Lottery.

Seriously, I've spent over $10,000 on my turbo project already, and I don't even have a turbo yet.

Of course, there's drivetrain and related issues that apply to H/C also. But with FI, it gets more expensive unless you can do practically everything yourself, i.e. DIY kit.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Launching!

my new personally philosophy is build/do it yourself. On everything. You'll save money, you'll most likely do it right (through research), and you'll feel better about creating something. Just need a welder, cutting tools, and time.

DIY may not be for everyone, but I know it's for me... just pick up a copy of Maximum Boost (even if you're planning on buying rather than building). Turbocharger systems != rocket science... just a good challenging project.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:54 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

My Q.MP kit is good for a stock motor... but it it's "restrictive" exhaust system causes heat issues on bigger LS1's IMO.

One can get stock 02 manifolds to flow pretty good by porting the exhaust ports on them. aftermarket shorties will most likely flow better than a custom port though... I have a set of 02s and I'm going the cheap route.

I was planning on going below the k-member but I might just wind up getting rid of the A/C and having the down pipe go past the passenger side.

You're litterally down the road from me (Northern Hazard myself) so A) if you need a hand, shoot me a PM and B) I definately want to see your finished piece.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Start playing your area's State Lottery.

Seriously, I've spent over $10,000 on my turbo project already, and I don't even have a turbo yet.

Of course, there's drivetrain and related issues that apply to H/C also. But with FI, it gets more expensive unless you can do practically everything yourself, i.e. DIY kit.

I can't! I audit them
Old 08-25-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAT3
Guess someone has lots-o-money or "friends"? I called just this last wed. and they said its still a couple weeks out from any release, which is the same they said two months ago, and 4, and.....

Yeah man, I've been waiting almost a year for it and it's the same thing EVERY ****** TIME... from "it'll be out in a week" to "it'll be out next month" They do make some kick-*** kits though, I love the one they just came out with for the Impala

Quick Reply: Which turbo kit?