Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

procharger or sts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default procharger or sts?

I am looking into a procharger p1sc 5 or 7psi with twin intercoolers or possibly the sts kit, or a different reliable turbo setup thats not 7grand.
My car is mostly stock exept for a catback and a fair amount suspension work. Question is I want the car to stay fairly streetable, as I like to drive it but I want alot more power than I have now. I have been juggling these to options for along time now and need to make a decision. So if I could get some info from you guys, problems you've had, things you have liked stuff like that. I figure I'd post up on here cause alot of people have done alot of different things on here.
Thanks, jason

Last edited by tamanjd; 08-28-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:38 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

search the 50 bazillion P1/D1 vs STS threads and come to your own conclusion as its always the same arguements for and against.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

New stroker w/D1SC/SDCE. I have only had mine up and running for a couple of months and the car has been down more than up. Mainly just ironing out the kinks. The issues I have had are clutch, traction, overheating, and an intermittent fueling problem. The only remaining problems are the clutch and traction. I will also be pulleying up at the same time the clutch is worked on, and I am currently looking for some ET Streets to address the traction issue.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

ive been hearing alot of overheating issues with the procharger that is the only thing bad I have heard of with it, but I havent really heard anything bad about the sts either. I did a search and havent found the answers i am lookng for yet. does the sts have the potential of the procharger?
Old 08-28-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just remember your going to need to get a new rear end if you are expection good power with little down time!!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

PROCHARGER... and,

ah nothing.

Procharger.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right, is your total budget $7k? I haven't finished my setup yet, and I'm over $7k. As far as streetable, the STS is very streetable. Car runs like stock (assuming a good tune) until you get into boost. And how many miles do you have on the motor?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

I have 75 k on the motor not worried about that though, as for the rear that is a given. I can get a good price on the procharger only have a little more in it than the sts with the turbo upgrade.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tamanjd
ive been hearing alot of overheating issues with the procharger that is the only thing bad I have heard of with it, but I havent really heard anything bad about the sts either. I did a search and havent found the answers i am lookng for yet. does the sts have the potential of the procharger?

The overheating is due to the single 16" fan that comes with the kit. This is not a serious problem, just takes a little more $ to fix it.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1bad2k2ta
The overheating is due to the single 16" fan that comes with the kit. This is not a serious problem, just takes a little more $ to fix it.
Id run a Procharger setup before i bought a STS Kit.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

i've seen alot about the phamspeed kits in my searches are they any good or is there alot of extra fab involved?
Old 08-28-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Procharger all the way, 6000 miles on mine and the only thing to go bad is the clutch, rearend and tires
Old 08-29-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 528 Likes on 372 Posts

If you want a fun daily driver, go with the sts. It's hard to beat that midrange torque hit you get with a turbo. If you want good 1/4 mile times, go with the procharger. The lack of low rpm boost actually helps a lot with the launch, and the more predictable boost versus rpm is easier to tune. I personally prefer street fun, without having to spin the crap out of my motor, so I went turbo.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gametech
If you want a fun daily driver, go with the sts. It's hard to beat that midrange torque hit you get with a turbo. If you want good 1/4 mile times, go with the procharger. The lack of low rpm boost actually helps a lot with the launch, and the more predictable boost versus rpm is easier to tune. I personally prefer street fun, without having to spin the crap out of my motor, so I went turbo.
What? You must have never driven a supercharged car before. It is way better for the street. The midrange hit you get with a turbo can unsettle the car in a corner. A supercharger's predictable, progressive, linear power curve is exactly what you want on the street, especially if you like diving into a corner, downshifting, and rolling the throttle on hard as you exit. It can be done in a turbo, but it is better with a s/c. It is like having a bigger motor as opposed to the turbo behaving more like a 2-stroke motor with explosive acceleration when you hit the torque band. Additionally, you don't have to rev high to get the power you want. You pulley it to make power where you want, then set your rev limiter to keep from overdriving the compressor. It is very easy to hit boost at 2500 rpms, or less, and be done by 6k. Of course if you like the driving I described above, you would not want a high-duration, peak power cam like most guys use on the strip, you would want a lower-duration cam with a wide power band that starts making power around 1300-1500 rpms, yet still has strong mid-range power.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

yea thats the kinda stuff Im looking for other things to consider.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd either do conventional front mount turbo or Procharger, my .02.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1bad2k2ta
What? You must have never driven a supercharged car before. It is way better for the street. The midrange hit you get with a turbo can unsettle the car in a corner. A supercharger's predictable, progressive, linear power curve is exactly what you want on the street, especially if you like diving into a corner, downshifting, and rolling the throttle on hard as you exit. It can be done in a turbo, but it is better with a s/c. It is like having a bigger motor as opposed to the turbo behaving more like a 2-stroke motor with explosive acceleration when you hit the torque band. Additionally, you don't have to rev high to get the power you want. You pulley it to make power where you want, then set your rev limiter to keep from overdriving the compressor. It is very easy to hit boost at 2500 rpms, or less, and be done by 6k. Of course if you like the driving I described above, you would not want a high-duration, peak power cam like most guys use on the strip, you would want a lower-duration cam with a wide power band that starts making power around 1300-1500 rpms, yet still has strong mid-range power.
Whoa, are you saying you can hit full boost at 2500 rpm and keep it 'till 6k rpm? Or am I misreading? What SC do you have? Unless I'm mistaken, the centrifugal SC's make full boost only at very high rpm's. The high praise and acclaim other superchargers recieve, the Kenne Bell's for Cobras for example, are due to their full boost coming on early and staying through 'till high rpm... exactly like a quick-spooling and efficient turbo set-up. What do you guys think?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Whoa, are you saying you can hit full boost at 2500 rpm and keep it 'till 6k rpm? Or am I misreading? What SC do you have? Unless I'm mistaken, the centrifugal SC's make full boost only at very high rpm's. The high praise and acclaim other superchargers recieve, the Kenne Bell's for Cobras for example, are due to their full boost coming on early and staying through 'till high rpm... exactly like a quick-spooling and efficient turbo set-up. What do you guys think?
I believe he is saying that you can start boosting at 2500 and continue boosting until 6k when max boost is achieved.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
I believe he is saying that you can start boosting at 2500 and continue boosting until 6k when max boost is achieved.
Ahh. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Sts turbo is with out a doubt the most fun and can achieve the most hp per dollar, I just love mine, what a blast and it will put a smile on your face.