Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any results with the ptk turbo kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005 | 06:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chris's ws6
Anyone with ptk turbo kits please respond with what you think of the kit, when it makes full boost, what size motor and turbo you are running, and what kind of power you are making.
I am installing the PTK kit right now and I had way more than a 2.5 month wait
but IMHO it is the best kit out there right now
I am running a Stock engine for now with a precision T-67 and air to air
going to finish the install by monday and should have dyno results by the end of the week I hope
keep ind mind that All I am running is 7 Pounds of boost for now
and I am the guy that Glen (the other guy) said that he would try to help
but he is in CA and I am in NC so it is just a lot of Phone calls and E-mails

I have not changed my sig yet but the only thing that I ever heard on the T-70 was maybe by next friday for 3 months so I went with a T-67 and may upgrade to a T-76 when I gat my forged engine or my stock engine blowes up
Old 09-04-2005 | 07:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Great thread! Turbo's can and do make a ton of power, but it seems the turbo companies come and go, and it takes way too long to get an ordered kit. Edelbrock needs to step up to the plate and offer a kit that is in stock. I talked to the Edelbrock engineer who headed up their Honda turbo kit several years ago, and he left me very impressed with their approach. Bob
Old 09-04-2005 | 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Bob what kind of motor are you putting in you 99 z next?
Old 09-04-2005 | 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

hey kyle, that turbo kit looks to be coming across extremely nicely. i do take it that you are losing ac though, correct?

Louie
Old 09-04-2005 | 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

You do not lose ac with this kit per Jose.
Old 09-04-2005 | 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I've been informed my kit is near completion.

****, there's no smilie for crossing fingers! Man, there should be! Oh well, I'll use this one.

If this is the case, I should have results up real soon. I've had almost 4 months to buy all the little odds and ends and I'm SURE I don't need anything now. My installer has been ready for some time, looking forward to this install with a 12-bolt sitting in his shop waiting to go in too. I even decided to upgrade to a T76 if that expedites the process. If not, then the T70 will suffice for the present time. Either way, this won't affect my numbers. I'm limited by GM's pistons and rods, anyway.

Therefore, the typical stock bottom end 500rwhp or so for me will do. I'm hoping the switch to 3.73's will help alot, too.
Old 09-06-2005 | 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

bboyferal, which invoice number are you? If you'd rather not post it, PM me...

I'm #5053. 25% fabbed as of last week. I'm hoping that you and DarrenP will take a few minutes here and there as your kit goes in to give the rest of us hints and tips on the install... maybe even some pics? Which FMIC's are you guys using? Methanol?

Thanks in advance for any info,

Rich
(setup will be PTK T67 through Griffin FMIC, 224/224/114 cam, AFR 225 72cc heads, methanol injection)
Old 09-06-2005 | 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RW99
bboyferal, which invoice number are you? If you'd rather not post it, PM me...

I'm #5053. 25% fabbed as of last week. I'm hoping that you and DarrenP will take a few minutes here and there as your kit goes in to give the rest of us hints and tips on the install... maybe even some pics? Which FMIC's are you guys using? Methanol?

Thanks in advance for any info,

Rich
(setup will be PTK T67 through Griffin FMIC, 224/224/114 cam, AFR 225 72cc heads, methanol injection)
No prob

Since I bought my kit through Forced Inductions, I'm not exactly sure if I have an invoice number or not. I have seen the Order Status page on PTK's site, but I have no idea if one of those is mine. Whenever I've had a question, I've just called Jose. Now, you got me wondering if my order shows up on PTK's Order Status page. Hmmmm...

Anyhow, I'll be using their kit's bundled Air to Air FMIC and I am passing on the meth. Couldn't do both for now, only one, so I chose the FMIC. Darren should begin having a very clear picture of the kit's bottom line doing the install and all. I'll especially be expecting some useful comments about this kit from Darren from time to time as he finishes up. He's the soldier in the trenches.

No instructions!

Quick question... When did you order yours, again, if you don't mind sharing?
Old 09-06-2005 | 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Ordered on June 17. I checked in with Dalton a couple of weeks ago and he gave me an approximate ETA of mid-Sept. at that time. Looks like he may have been a bit optimistic... but we'll see.

Good luck with your install,

Rich
Old 09-07-2005 | 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I'm hoping the switch to 3.73's will help alot, too.
I had the second ls1 PTK kits and can say they look badass. I sold it to a guy on this board but I haven't seen him post anything yet. He should have it installed since he's had it since early may. Dalton is a good guy and he will take care of you, hopefully they can get the delevery dates down a little.

IMHO, I would stick to 3.42's if you are going to use the car as a DD. Turbos put out plenty of torque to blow the tires off at 70 mph so more gear would only hurt you. It will also spool a little faster with the 3.42's and you wouldn't have to shift quite as much.

Later,
Dave
Old 09-07-2005 | 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Sticking with the 3.42's or near that ratio is just what Dalton recommended to me, for much the same reasons. I also wanted a quicker spool.
Old 09-07-2005 | 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RW99
Sticking with the 3.42's or near that ratio is just what Dalton recommended to me, for much the same reasons. I also wanted a quicker spool.
Good move! I even thought about going to a 3.23 gear on 6 speed car just so I could stay in gear a little longer. It would be nice to do 80 in second like my buddy's PTK turboed Cobra.
Old 09-07-2005 | 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Great, this sucks ***. I had asked for advice a long time ago in the gears thread for gears for a 500rwhp application. Everyone recommended 4.10's NA and 3.73's for a forced induction set-up. I guess I should have asked here, instead.

How bad do you guys think spooling will be with the 3.73's? Problem is, the rear end has been bought for some time now with the 3.73's and is assembled and ready for install at my installer's shop. Does anyone here have a 3.73 set-up or could someone briefly describe the disadvantages of 3.73's so I could get an idea of how bad it is?
I've never been in a car with 3.73's at all.

DAMN
Old 09-07-2005 | 12:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

3.73's won't be the end of the world, they might be a little tall for your combo but it also will depend on how fast you are going.
Old 09-07-2005 | 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

I doubt the difference will be very noticeable. Give 'em a try. What compression will your setup be run at?

I think the gears choice in FI applications depends on blower or turbo (and on whether you're concerned about pure quarter mile performance/shift points); maybe some of the people suggesting taller gears thought you were going with a blower.
Old 09-07-2005 | 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

there is not too much of a difference between 373 and 342 they will work fine don't worry. still way better than say a 410.
Old 09-07-2005 | 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the heads-up guys!

I guess they may not be as effective for quarter mile times, if I'm gathering what you guys are saying correctly, as the 3.42's, but they are not so bad for a car not seriously set up purely for performance like mine. My car will mainly criuse around the city and hit the highway for some Cobra's and Supra's on the occasional weekend. I just don't want to have to shift before the turbo has had a chance to get a good spool going. I hope the turbo can still get a good wind-up in the first two gears, maybe not as good a spool of boost as the 3.42's but better than 4.10's for sure.

Compression ratio will not change for a while, nor will hp numbers. I'm just doing the soup of the day 500 or so FI rwhp on stock heads, intake manifold, cam, and bottom end until I get some more cash.

Quick Reply: Any results with the ptk turbo kits?