Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twins for a LS1, on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Twins for a LS1, on a budget

I just got off the phone with a local diesel supply shop, and it looks as though we will be building a twin turbo kit for my Z28 using turbos supplied by them. I was originally looking at running twin HY or HX 35 Holsets, but it looks as though we might run a pair of TO4s instead. The guy I talked to said that he is going to do some research and get back to me about what all he can get ahold of, and what will work out the best for my setup. What do the turbo gurus recommend for this setup? I intend to run a set of 6.0 manifolds, and external wastegates, although he suggested looking into running an internally-gated turbo to eliminate that hassle. I do not intend to run large boost numbers at this time, so I am wondering about the internal gate's ability to control the boost at a small level without creeping. I would prefer a V-band clamp for the downpipe, and he pointed out that most TO4s come with a 4-bolt flange instead. Also, this will be A/W intercooled, and I intend to run this whole setup at about 10-12 PSI on the stock shortblock for now, albiet with a set of ported 6.0 heads in place of the stock ones. Any advise on this adventure would be much appreciated.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If 10-12 PSI is the lowest ya are gonna wanna go then internal gates will be just fine. Restricting PSI with twins is alot easier as ya have 2 gates and hte turbos are smaller then a big single. I dunno how low you would be able to go but i wouldnt doubt 8 or lower would be acheivable. GL

John
Old 08-30-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, that is definitally something I will think about.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how it turns out. I am also interested in a "budget" turbo setup, just a single though. Anyway I ran the numbers and it was going to be an expensive endeavor no matter how I figured it. I am just going to wait right now and do a turbo down the road. Good luck with your setup. Can't wait to see it
Old 08-30-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

id get a turbo right your application.
try www.forcedinductions.com they can help select a turbo for your needs in your budjet range, think they have some low cost masterpower turbos that could work for you or precisions.
also if youron a budet do and air to air as air 2 water will have more cost in it.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Budget and turbo don't go very well together.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by METAL MAN
Budget and turbo don't go very well together.

Budget and TWIN TURBO go together even worse
Old 08-30-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

I think thre is a different between budget, and trying to save where you can
Old 08-31-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

In the end be prepared to spend alot of $$$$$ its not the kit you should be worried about.... its the other LIl stuff.... it adds up fast.. i know...
Kyle
Old 08-31-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been putting a lot of thought into this 'kit' for sometime now. I relaize it won't really be cheap, I just don't want to get out of control. As far as the intercooler goes, I may in fact go with A/A, but i have intentions of at least eventually moving into a A/W setup. The diesel guy and I still have a lot of research to do before any of this even begins to get screwed together. I guess I just have a real intereest in doing things myself. Please keep the suggestions coming as far as part selection goes.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:58 AM
8 Second Club

Just spend the money on a good set of heads and a nice shaft and forget the turbo garbage...no point in spending the same money to go just as fast with ten times the complexity...turbos are nice if you're really going after it...but for a mild setup like you want, just get a nice top end setup and call it a day.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
Just spend the money on a good set of heads and a nice shaft and forget the turbo garbage...no point in spending the same money to go just as fast with ten times the complexity...turbos are nice if you're really going after it...but for a mild setup like you want, just get a nice top end setup and call it a day.
I don't really agree with this either, I just think twins are a bad idea.

If I was doing it again, starting from a stockish LS1 and turboing it on a buget I would make a crossover pipe that connects the stock manifolds and runs up to a proper size single turbo, get a tial Wastegate and BOV with a ebay A2A intercooler.

After that, all you really need is some high-z injectors, tuning, 2 bar map, few other things.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
Budget and TWIN TURBO go together even worse
he is not lying about that you need 2 of everything. plan to spend some big money

Quick Reply: Twins for a LS1, on a budget