Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Something differenr Sir? - An electric supercharger!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 03:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikegyver
How about a gas turbine powering a turbo compressor? No drag on your engine, no restriction of your exhaust, and I think that it would be pretty small.
forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't a turbo a form of gas turbine?

The exhaust gases turn and impellor (ie a turbine) which then rotates compressing the intake air.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RW99
And if you're worried about lag, I'll respectfully refer you to the very quick turbo cars represented on this site...
I have no doubt of the abilities of a turbocharger. But that doesn't alter the fact that they have lag. This for me is far more important as it concerns dirveability. If I was looking at a fully blown race car then it would not be a consideration. But for a road car I find LAG to be very annoying.

And I'm not talking about where in the rpm's the turbo kicks in, I'm talking about the lag time a turbo produces after a stall period.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just size the turbo correctly to the engine, problem solved. no lag.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
just size the turbo correctly to the engine, problem solved. no lag.
never heard of such a thing.

No matter where you are in the rpm's (so even well within the boost range) if you lift off of the throttle pedal from WOT the sudden decrease in exhaust gas velocity will cause the turbo to stall, if you then apply full throttle once again there will be a momentary LAG before boost is once again produced.

The only way I know around the problem is the anti-lag systems WRC rally cars use.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could take a small turbine such as the ones used for APU's on jets. They can run from 40-200 hp and can easily be jacked up to make much more. All have a "port" on the side of the compressor housing to tap off bleed air to be used for thinks like running the Air Conditioning system, or sometimes air start the larger engines. You could mod this opening to make max use of the bleed air. Generally this bleed air is controlled with an open/close butterfly valve. This air is under tremendous pressure since most turbines are around 11 to 1 compression. The temps can be very hot too...not exactly boost freindly. BUT......there is another component that usually goes along with these APUs. This is called an air cycle machine. Its also known as a cooling turbine. You pump all the bleed air into this thing and it will cool it down to below freezing and extract all moisture. I dont think it would be too hard to have 35 psi of 32 degree dry air on tap at all times and modulated with an electronic valve....no lag. Hell..you could even divert some of this cold air to the inside of the car when not in use You could also mount your alternator/generator to the accesory drive of the APU

I believe you could make this all fit in a race car and be around 225-275 lbs worth of goodies.
If I win the lottery I am building one just for the heck of it
Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw an electric supercharger on a V6 Probe GT a couple years back with an exhaust system. The car ran slower than it should have stock. (16.7s @ 84 mph I believe). I wasn't impressed.

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Here's a question I've been mulling over and just out of idle curiosty thought I'd ask.

Now I know there are cheepy electric fans that claim to increase BHP. But I'm not talking about them, for FI you need something that compresses not blows.

BUT

A Centrifugal supercharger is mearly a compressor driven via a belt from the engine. So what if you connected that belt to a high powered elctric motor instead.

In the case of the LS1 the engine operates from 1500rpm to about 6000rpm. These are easy speeds for an electric motor to acheive. Obviosuly the motor would need to be powerful enough to counter the load of compressing the air.

Cons:
Now the down sides would be the electic motor. As it will be fairly large and heavy in its self. Also the power consumption of the thing. Would it require more BHP from the engine than the blower does being driven directly from the engine?

And maintance with the electric motor brushes. Although if you're into model cars you'll know the benifits of the brushless motors, which practically never wear out.

Pros:
That the blower is no longer driven directly by the engine. So as long as the electric motor was effiencent enough you would produce more BHP.

Also using an electronic control device you could have the blower producing maximum boost from a little above idle. Thus no longer being engine rpm dependant. Or indeed any lag as a turbo suffers from.

In addition I suppose by having full control of the blower rpms you could simply via a switch on the dash board alter the maximum boost instantly. Or indeed switch the blower off completly if you so desired. (fuel saving).

So far I have done NO research on this, so I don't know whether it has been tried before or not. Any comments or views on it are most welcome. Even if you think I'm bonkers!

Quick Reply: Something differenr Sir? - An electric supercharger!!!!!