Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SPAL fans install... Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SPAL fans install... Questions.

I am in the process of installing the SPAL/BeCool fans. After doing some quick measuring I ground down/took out the two spokes (between 6:00/9:00)on the driver side fan shroud and cut back the shroud to almost even with the base. It now clears the head unit enough to fit somewhat.

Mocking the fit up it appears I'll need to have the fans pushed up as far to the pass/top as I can get them to avoid the Procharger head unit hitting the back of the driver side fan itself (not the shroud).

Guys that have these fans - is that roughly where you put yours ? Should they be more centered on the radiator ?

Also, any tips on mounting them up ?

Thanks for any tips installing these bad boys. I'm hoping to fix the overheating in hours of summer traffic.

Thanks,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 09-10-2005, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

BTW, this is the twin 11" BeCool/SPAL fans, # 75007 :

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=KeywordSearch

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 09-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

i also cut the shroud for a better fit, i have them towards the passenger side of the radiator. don't worry your on the right track.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

...so I think I have come up with a plan on how to mount these up...

I'm gonna try to make a sheetmetal mounting shroud to mount them to, that will hang in the 4 factory mounting slots and ride in the drip tray behind the radiator - and it will have the two fans offset, driver side higher than the pass side... I could use insulation to seal the sides of the shroud to the fan shroud... Similar to the ATI shroud but with holes to mate to the SPAL shroud instead of a single 16" fan. Muhaha, think it will work ?

That's the best idea I have so far...

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 09-12-2005, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

TTT, I'd hate to go to the trouble of fabbing up a shroud and have these not fit... Anyone have them installed ? How'd you mount 'em up ?

Please help give me some ideas before I go buy a high volume 16" SPAL fan to put on the ATI shroud like I should have in the first place...

Pics from someone who has installed them would be a real help here.

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 09-12-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here's how i did mine.
i used a aluminum yard stick on the bottom of the shroud, and used stock rad. bottom slots.
the top of the shroud is held by the ati rad. support.
and thats it. of course you have to trim around the driver side fan to clear the ati inlet hat.
also some people had to move tha radiator forward a bit for the fan to clear, but i didnt.
just keep trying different things until you find what works, thats what i do when i am in a jam. i also searched on the forum and found more then enough info to do the install with no problems.
hope all goes well.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks so much for the reply !

Did you use anything else to hold the fans in place ? (Bushings/etc) to keep from damaging the rad fins if the fans bounced around ? The shroud seems kind of flimsy, if I install them together "as-is" I will probably reinforce the seam where the two fans meet to keep it more stable.

Jest read you didn't push your radiator forward at the bottom ? You guys are giving me some hope here... Now to find a metal yardstick... Think a fabric store might have them, or Home Depot ?

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i didnt have to move the radiator, but i did read about some people had to do it. once i bolted the yard stick to the shroud it felt fine for me, i didt have to use anything else to support it.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I replaced the ATI 16inch with a SPAL 16inch Extreme. I also installed a SPAl 9 inch on the driver's side, upper 1/3 of the ATI shroud. It clears the D1SC head unit by two fingers. The Extreme draws 3000 cfm and the 9 inch draws 740 cfm.

The pic isn't very clear as to the install, but everythings clears without any rubbing, etc. even though the SPAL 9 inch is about 2 1/2 inches wide. IMO the install looks stock.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dlands...ec.jpg&.src=ph

The only thing I don't like is that the two fans push so much air, they really kick up the dust and make the engine bay very dirty, very fast.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the reply, that looks like a good idea adding the 9" to the 16".

Anyone know how much the ATI supplied 16" fan flows ? The SPAL 16" flows ~2400 cfm, the dual 11's flow ~2700 cfm.

I've been mulling this over and I think just trying to mount the dual fans without enough support is a bad idea, they flex a lot and will be moving/bouncing around against the rad fins... I'm still thinking I would need to make a sheetmetal mount for them that has support in the center and all the way around the fans shroud...

At this point it's pretty clear that if I use a flat shroud to hang the SPALs on the factory mounts (about 1" back from the fins) and don't have the fans pushed all the way up against the rad fins it won't clear the blower... I can't push the rad forward at all, A/C condenser is in the way (I still have A/C, which is laughable because every time I use it I overheat ).

I don't want to have to buy the 16" SPAL fan but it appears that would be the easiest way to get the car back on the road, with a reasonable increase in cooling capacity...

I thought I did enough research on this, gaaaaaaaaah.

Looks like I would need to trim the pass top of the shroud for the trans cooler output from the radiator too... Right now I'm trying to sketch something up that will use the factory mounts and bend around to mate the fans 1/4" or so from the rad fins...

I've seen pics of a SOM TA with them installed, so I know it can be done... I just want to make sure they dont bang up the fins from not being mounted sturdy enough...

Rob (Bad30th)

Last edited by Bad30th; 09-14-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Note: The SPAL 16 inch extreme flows 3000 cfm. The lower end models flow 2400 cfm and less.

http://www.srbymichael.com/manufactu...pal/fans.shtml

As for my car (see fan pics in previous post), the Extreme 16 and 9 inch keeps the car from overheating while driving in stop and go traffic, but if I turn on the air and let the car sit and idle (in 90 + degree weather the temp will climb to 210 within 5 minutes).

Turn off the air and it will drop back down (I have a Mezeire electrice water pump which flows pretty good at idle).

Next summer I am going to mount a fan on the AC condensor too, that should keep the car cool, when I turn on the AC.

HTH.

BTW, the rigidness of the perimeter housings on both the Spal 16 inch and the 9 inch is pretty stiff, so there's no worry about the fan blades of either getting into radiator fins.

Quick Reply: SPAL fans install... Questions.