Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tuning Gurus step inside...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Gurus step inside...

I'd like to know what options I have here. I was going to get a custom tune with a site sponsor but now I'm told that superchips wants 500 dollars for real time tuning, on top of 225 for dyno time and 100 labor for their time. The total would be astronomical and that is bullshit.

I know everyone is going to say LS1 edit but are there loopholes I can hope for? Help a brother out here.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:10 PM
9 Second Club

Default Re: Tuning Gurus step inside...

To be honest. In order tune the car yourself you still need a dyno to do it on.

Typically you can get a deal on a dyno and rent it out with a WideBand for about $100.00 per hour. So figure 2 hours or $200.00 for that.

LS1edit costs $550.00 for a single user. Plus you need to have expertise in order to tune the car properly. Maybe you can get into a deal with someone where you share the cost of LS1edit and also borrow their expertise (if they have any). LS1edit can add a car onto the cable for a $100.00 extra per car. That'll bring your costs down.

Those prices are NOT astronomical. Your point of reference just must be way off.

Charlie
Old 05-29-2002, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Chasgiv, read my above post. I thank you for replying but 825 for a tune is astronomical in my book.

I'm prepared to get LS1 edit and I know the importance of dyno tuning. I see mustang guys go to LaRocca's and get turn key, livable tuning for 300 bucks.

I want to get LS1 edit but I see the importancee of knowing excel, I know nothing about that. It's very intimidating at this point.. I'm almost wishing I went with the bottle.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> I'm prepared to get LS1 edit and I know the importance of dyno tuning. I see mustang guys go to LaRocca's and get turn key, livable tuning for 300 bucks.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thats because they have an in house guy with the equipment to do it. unfortunately you don't see much of that in the ls1 world. you would have to find a guy with the unlimited version of ls1-edit or equivalent, teamed up with a shop with a dyno/wide band, and then you would see a price close to your $300 dollar mark. If you don't have any such situation in your area then yes your gonna have to pay to play. That's just a fact. You either live with a crappy mail order tune you get with your kit or you fork out the money to get it tuned by a "pro" or tuned by yourself on a dyno.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes you can tune it yourself (if you know what you are doing), but it also costs a lot. You will have to have a wideband, ls1-edit, scan tool and lots of open road or quarter mile passes.

The wideband I have www.fjoinc.com is about $900, then the scantool and ls1-edit. The nearest dyno to me is 4 hours away, no wideband and no tuning. So for me this will be the only option.

Gary
Old 05-30-2002, 12:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fastest and most accurate way is dyno tune. I am going to ls1edit my car and get it close and then finalize the air/fuel curve on a wideband dyno
Old 05-30-2002, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

I'm not a HUGE fan of dyno tuning. If you aren't close on the WOT tune, it gives you a start, but once you start dialing it in, I really think the track is going to give you the results you want. People scratch and claw for every single HP gained, then find out that on the street the tune will be different for a myriad of reasons. I've heard of many people tuning the crap out of a car, going to the track on the same tune, make a few runs, make a few changes and make gains. To me, those last runs on the dyno were useless.

I used a wideband 02, street & track runs to tune my vehicles; always seem to reach their 90% potential I'd say.

I really think the tune will vary from dyno to the street on turbo cars, due to intercoolers & heat dissipation, load and whatnot. Heck, where I work, engineers even believe the dyno work is worth only so much, and we have 50+ engine/chassis dynos worth millions.

If you have the skills, time & patience, I say do the LS1 edit, and build your own wideband 02, or buddy up with a few guys and buy an FJO or NTK setup for $1000. LS1 edit will allow for endless changes - no charge for retuning - allowing for future modifications as well.

Just my $0.02

Brian Green
89 TTA

Quick Reply: Tuning Gurus step inside...