Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Results as promised....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense taken. I agree and was hoping to see much better times for the money. Now I will also agree with NYSS.... I have alot of bugs to work out.. I have 12k into it so far and running 12.8's... I will add only another 4-5k and I will have a daily driver 10sec car. So I am nearing my goals... but I gotta do it one step at a time. I thought about not posting untill all my bugs were worked out and I could brag about good times... but instead I have opted to share with all the work nessessary for you to do a Rearmount 10sec car. So many people say it cant be done with a STS setup... I think it can.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JCurtin
Not trying to be a dick in any kind of way.....I was really looking into the sts kit for when I get back from the desert. I keep seeing these high *** dyno numbers and crappy *** 1/4 mile times. What gives? i understand you guys arent hooking up. But 12.8,12.9 with that much power? What gives? I just ran 12.9 @ 109 with my bolt on CE on friday. And i ran consistent 12.5s @ 107 with my bolt on 98 auto 273 geared car. Really what gives? All that money for bolt on fbody times? It doesnt seem like many sts users are running impressive times at all.

Both of these cars are M6's. A little bit different then a A4 at the track. Finding the right rpm to leave, making a perfect shift, getting a decent burnout. It's not like an A4 were you just stab the pedal and hold on.

Gateway International Raceway wasn't prepped well on Tuesday night. All 3 of my runs resulted in some shitty 60' times(1.9, 2.2, 2.3) My best run was the 2nd run 12.5@114 but I spun till around the 330 before it hooked. I'm running M/T street radials. I normally run 1.7's consistently.

I'm willing to bet that both of these cars are street cars and aren't set up for drag racing.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Arrons right about Gateway on Tuesdays. And yeah I'm working on setting my car up for SCCA roadracing not drag racing. I figure though once I get a 12 bolt and methinol and sticky tires I should be in the high 11's.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

it seems to me that the bad sts times are with the stick cars all the auto cars seem to run really good[11-10s]must have to do with building boost off the line. 1st gear boost is not as fast as say second because there is not much load,when I go to the track im going to spray a 50 shot to get it moving.and all the turbo cars [front or rear mount]that run good are autos,comming off the line with a turbo car that is a stick is a bitch!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

The way I understand it is that 1st gear in F-bodies alows the motor to work too efficiently and thus the tubo doesn't get enough exhaust flow to boost low but when you hit 2nd it takes off. I've been launching around 3000 with ok results but I'm still spinning through2 gears and part of 3rd.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aaron's 00 TA
Both of these cars are M6's. A little bit different then a A4 at the track. Finding the right rpm to leave, making a perfect shift, getting a decent burnout. It's not like an A4 were you just stab the pedal and hold on.

Gateway International Raceway wasn't prepped well on Tuesday night. All 3 of my runs resulted in some shitty 60' times(1.9, 2.2, 2.3) My best run was the 2nd run 12.5@114 but I spun till around the 330 before it hooked. I'm running M/T street radials. I normally run 1.7's consistently.

I'm willing to bet that both of these cars are street cars and aren't set up for drag racing.
I know the difference between launching an auto to a stick. I went from 12.5s in an auto to high 13s in a stick before I got a technique down. My CE is a 6speed!!! I cut a 1.9 on nittos and have only driven a stick since march of this year. And another thing, autos arent just stab and go. I know with the stall and 273s mine sure as **** wasnt.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Launching!

I agree with nyssguy, I think the key is tuning but on a dyno and at the track

Originally Posted by NYSS Guy
I think part of the problem is that most of the front mount setups are more than just a turbo bolted on. Not all of them, but most of them. My first time to the track at 8 psi the car ran 13.2!! I wasn't very happy. But, I kept tuning, and actually turned the boost down to 6 psi. I got as low as 12.2@116 at 6 psi, and the car still wasn't running right (around 10:1 afr). I really think the car had plenty left, and could have broken well into the 11's. These setups are still relatively new, and people are still figuring this out.

As some of the GTO's and at least one Vette that I know of, I hope to be putting down some serious track numbers really soon.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:52 PM
9 Second Club

Now common guys... remember I am addressing the issue of the M6 by installing a 2-Step. I hope that will help... I think with that and ET-Streets I will see close to a second off my 60' alone... with the 67 trim it will also help alot in the trap as well. I may even drop the boost. I will say that anyone thinking about a STS kit needs to go straight to the 67 trim.... even if that means they dont go above 5lbs of boost... much better value IMHO.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't worry bro, you'll figure this stuff out soon. THe 2 step is gonna help a lot when launching the car. THe fact that you have the rear end, and you'll have the sticky tires, you'll be fine. Not even considering the t67. Just as an FYI, I set my 2 step at 4k, and the car bogged off the line. I was on M/T drag radials, and they hooked. I am going to try 4300 rpm next time, and see how that works out. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have watched this board for quite awhile and seen on other boards the sts turbo cars some of them have turned high mph and great times.The sts gto are 10s but have other mods on them I think.
Most guys are not optimized for the track. They have street tires,no two step or stall ,not optimal tunes.

I have personal experience with lt1 buddy with sts. At 5.5 boost it absolutely eats my 13.5 or so 96z. I get him easily off the line, I have 3.42 gears,2800 vig and mild bolt ons right now on it and nittos but once that turbo spools up he flys by me like I am standing still and no way can I run him down,all I see are tailights.
On a roll its even worse as his turbo is spooling up pretty when cruising.He has some lag off the line..he has 3.23 gears but no stall.Stall would really help any auto turbo car.. a nice 3000 to 3500 I think would be perfect.
He is also running 5 or 5.5 pounds. Sts kind of lied as his stock injectors were going 100% at just over 5000 rpm so other buddy set his rev limit for now at 5000.He still eats my 96 for lunch .He has stock fuel pump and just added msd boost timing retard.
I have confidence the car will rip and be for sure 12s with 7 or so pounds even with zero other mods ,no cam,no heads,he did throw in forged pistons when couple of ringlands let go when he hit 12psi by accident on his fancy greedy profec b!!
He should have forged the rods and crank and thrown in good arp stuff,etc but he cheaped out.

Anyway there are good sts times out there and good high mph.
I personally am still going front on my 99 trans am but the sts do work and it seems quite well. They also look neat from the back,great draw at car shows and sound like freaking jets. The system is not perfect and a bit too expensive new thats another reason almost bought one but didn't. And you do need support mods at least on the lt1 you do.

I am planning similar setup ,just bought gt 7 cam,planning likely on some lq9 patriot 72cc stage 2s,fast 90 intake and nw 90 tb and not 100% sure what front mount kit yet..might just make something up from hot parts.
Sure your times will improve a lot with tuning,tires and two step. The two step helped a lot in my 92 talon sure it will work great when get one in my 97.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The STS turbo's certainly do sound like a jet engine, I was quite surprised at how cool they sound! Bob
Old 10-15-2005, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm another example of a non driving fool. A stick shift turbo car is freaking hard to launch, even with sticky tires.

I was consistantly cutting 2.0 60 fts on both nitto drag radials and ET streets. I just never got the hang of it. If I screwed up the launch and got a slight bog I would lose 3-4mph on a 2.2 60ft vs a 2.0.

Best i've ever gotten out of the car on the 67 turbo was a 11.7@126. Great MPH, horrible ET.

I gave up on drag racing and just started highway rolling with bikes, the looks on a riders face when you start pulling a 1000cc bike are great. The 600s almost crap their pants.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:49 AM
9 Second Club

Yea I am loving the sound... Well the CF drive shaft should be here any day and I already have the 2-step and the Cat replacement pipes... Thanks for the heads up MYSS I will start my 2-step at 4200 and go from there. Zombie: Yea well us non driving fools can hang out!!! I hope to see a sub 2 sec 60'... I think I will. Are you still running a stock lower?

I am thinking of runing my boost controler at 5lbs street and 8lbs track.... what do you guys think? Do I dare more than 8? I do have the lQ9 heads... Hmmm Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:05 AM
Launching!

I have made full street passes at 9.5-10 psi on 91octane with 13-14timing but its kinda risky...what is pump gas in texas 94octane?? Also how much timing are running?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Longerange4u i will let you know how driveable a 700+ H P sts is LOL but im happy 4 u you wont really need a 408 to make that power a 370 will do my ls6 is going up for stroker kit thats going in a c5 with spray and my other 408 im selling that to cobrakillers1 in nov so when i get the money for those motors im going with a T-88 with a 75 shot on the 427 Im going to destroy that kenny bell cobra when we race!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:24 AM
9 Second Club

OUTLAWZ....... Hahahah I look forward to seeing it.. when you going to run the first time? You going to run her for real? No more of this letting off after 100' and coasting across the 1/4 mile!
Old 10-19-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

YEAH I know with some stock stuff hangaing out back its kinda hard staying straight !!! but yeah in next month i shoud have the rear end square and hoping to pull the fronts off the ground i just dont want to bend my baby up at the sorry *** track my next run will be in san an for personel reasons BUT FK YEAH IM GLAD YOUR LOVING THE KIT!!! i cant wait to post all my dyno sheets and track times when r u going to be in killeen again???
Old 10-20-2005, 05:15 PM
9 Second Club

Social: I think its 93 Octane.... Willing to go to race gas mix for the higher boost pressure (Use a 5lbs setting for street and the higher for track). I am not sure on the timming... I had it tuned by Sean at FASTECH... I will ask him soon when I bring it back up there to have the tune updated (67 trim and no cats).

OUTLAW: I live in killeen

Zombie: Do you think I could have the 67 up around 10lbs like you have with a FMIC and not an Alky kit? Do you run race gas?

Bob: Yea I love the sound too... are you using TIAL BOV on your setups?

Anyone: Input on high PSI limit for 93 octane with my mods?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
The STS turbo's certainly do sound like a jet engine, I was quite surprised at how cool they sound! Bob

Mine is really quiet. i'm very very surprised. Even under boost its not loud at all. I do also have a quiet BOV so its great for me. total sleeper.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Hey mang.. I had no clue you were running an STS kit... hmm I should check out GMMM more often.. What dyno are you dynoing on?? Dynosport?