Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Meth Kit installed...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Meth Kit installed...now what?

Newbie here

What is the best way to tune for the addition of methanol injection?
Would/should you tune with the meth off first, or try to do the tune with the meth spraying?

I'm running the large nozzle FWIW...this is on the STS meth kit.

I tried it today and the car felt pretty good, but the exhaust sounded pretty funny??

I'm going to install the IAT in the same elbow so I can get a better read on the IAT's when the meth is spraying...just waiting on the parts to get here

For now the IAT is in front of my MAF....didn't think I'd be running meth when I started this turbo stuff

So any advice, pointers on how you meth sprayers tuned your car, chime in.
J
Old 10-13-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jer,
just turn the boost up till something blows up, and then back it off a lil.

do it MM style
ed
Old 10-13-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

..dude Ed that is funny stuff.

Let me know how it goes Jer...this way I can avoid some pitfalls

Glenn
Old 10-13-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

after re-reding my post, i dont mean to associate the MM commet with the blow it up tehn back off, as MM didnt do that.
ed
Old 10-14-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats what i'm trying to avoid, getting to the point of and having to spend even more money Lets try and get me down the track without blowing stuff up first
Old 10-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Banned

ok the easy way is to back off fuel pres a little bit like 2-3 psi then start there with the same boost. watch for knock, afr, and egt's then slowly turn the boost up and add more alky. but remember timing is better to add than boost so bring the timing up slowly at the same time. i think 18-22* is great for our cars but you got a forged motor so maybe as high as 26-27* is poss. and rememeber start with 11to1 AFR to be safe oh ya you running meth or alky ?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our cars dont need that much timing.

I believe you will find most saying to leave the timing alone and up the boost.

J - if your exhaust was sounding funny your probably darn close to spraying too much meth and it was bogging a bit. Either up the boost or drop down a nozzle size. Pretty much with the meth you continue to tune as you normally would. Keep a/f nice and safe and watch for knock as you turn things up. Meth just lets you keep turning things up further than without it. Thats how I approach it at least and it works for me.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOOSTNSS
but remember timing is better to add than boost
I thought it was exactly opposite of that, ie more boost, less timing from more power. My tune with alky was not optimal but I just left the same amount of timing and bumped the boost. Seemed to work fairly well for me.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

set the timing to some conservative number less than 20

you can either tune on pump gas and meth spray and shoot for like 10.0's like i did

or you can run race gas and shoot for like 11.0's and then turn on the meth and resume pump gas.. which will put you around 10.0 or richer depending on your nozzle.

i have to warn you though.. i dont think it is good for infinite horsepower just by increasing meth flow maybe if you went direct port methanol.. hmm
Old 10-14-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

oops, i forgot to add the 'why'

yes in theory the car should run fine with the meth spraying and the a/f at 11.0, since the lambda number you shoot for with gas or meth is the same... BUT if your meth peters out or shuts off then you would be running 12.0 on pump only vs. 11.0 u follow?

in reality my a/f with the mef was in the 9's most of the time... maybe throwing meth down the toilet, but its cheap and the horsepower was not suffering much.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Dave, great explanation. Definately will be still keep my A/F in the 11.0-11.5 range without the meth. Its how i'm running it now on pump.

So it will be in around low 10s with the meth pumping too, not too big of a deal there. I'm just using this as a bit of insurance against KR when tooling around on pump gas when I do get into boost on the street. At the track it'll be meth+103 unleaded.

I'm not going for any crazy HP goals, just want to squeek into the 10.99 relm and what it'll take to get me there. 15-18psi should do it as I was running the car at 15psi with the ATI and that got me to 11.10@125 so with the turbo being more efficient than the procharger, i'm sure it'll get me there at that level...hopefully less.

My car ran great on 17-18 max timing with the procharger, but with the turbo its liking less, so i'm running 14 deg@wot for now. My midrange is whats killing me, I can't find the cars happy place when it comes to timing. If I get KR in one area and take away timing in those cells, the KR just walks over to another part of the map Hopefully with a local tuner helping me we'll get it figured out.

Heath, yeah i'm pretty sure it was bogging some as i'm running the large nozzle and only putting around at 4-5psi of boost I was just eager to see what happened.

Boostn, The car really liked to run at 17-18 with the procharger, but with the turbo its liking a lot less, funny huh? I'll start low and work my way up.

I'll be adding in the boost controller now so I can turn up the boost to the levels I want to run...7-10psi for the street, 15-18psi for the track.

Great advice guys, just what I was looking for, this helps me a ton.

On a side note, my lil "on" switch that came with this STS kit, already died Well at least the cool lil blue light did...time to go get another one.
J
Old 10-15-2005, 12:37 AM
Banned

well i have done tons on tuning with meth and my old TTA loved 24psi and 27* of timing stock botom end too. but i did lots of tuning boost vs. timing and more timing made more power and torque. and do you run a progressive kit? cause if not sometimes you will see knock from the int. spray of the meth. but i will be going for max power with my meth setup cause other wise its not really needed.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

an old tta with a turbo v6 is worlds different than an LS1.

pretty much a gauranteed kaboom if he attempted to run that much timing.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:22 AM
10 Second Club

more timing with less boost will always make more power than more boost/less timing.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
more timing with less boost will always make more power than more boost/less timing.
always does not apply to my car then
Old 10-15-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

depends on the combo from what ive hear, what you want to do is turn down the timing some, but there is a point of decreasing return, and turn up the boost which there is a point of when the turbo will max out at.
Ive heard people talking as when they increased the boost they didnt get to much HP, but turned down the boost some and upped the timming and got more HP, i think cablebandit stated that once in his thread.
but until your turbos max out, you want to keep adding more boost as generally you will make more HP per boost then timming, otherwise what good would FI be?
Old 10-15-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll def be going the less timing, conservative boost route, its just a lil ol street car that I want to enjoy for a long time. I don't need much, and rather have it just run like it is now with the exception of that damn KR popping up on take off and in the midrange. WOT is fine, no KR at all.

So i'll be doing 14-15 degs max timing...or less if I can get away with it, with 15-18 psi max at the strip. And the rest of the time the car will be enjoying a sudate lifestyle going back and forth to work and home on the highway
J

Quick Reply: Meth Kit installed...now what?