Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I have an Idea to reduce turbo lag!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark C
I have a feeling that device in the intake plays a minor part in equalizing the pressure across the face of the engine inlet. Probably something to do with the fact that the air has to make an S curve in that aircraft. It might even help to decelerate the inlet airspeed to below the speed of sound.

Whatever its for, I can assure you that there is no such device between the combustion chamber and the turbine inlet of those engines. That would be comparable to the pre-turbo turbine area. The jet inlet would be comparable to something between the air filter and the compressor wheel.

In either case, its not something I would do.
Do you work for Pratt & Whitney by chance?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go buy a tornado and tell us how it works.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P Mack
Do you work for Pratt & Whitney by chance?
Yes I do.

PM me if you want.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the best solution to this would be anti lag! for starters it works, and has been proven in motor sport for many years now! for people that dont know, anti lag is a term used when the engine management knocks the timing right back so the spark fires as the exhaust valve is open! also it the ECU runs the engine a little rich. this only happens on over run, but the end result is intresting. you basicaly get an exsplotion in the exhasut manifold and these much hihger presures result in a turbo thats also spinning (almost) at operating speeds. this, in race applications, mean you get no lag at all! infact some WRC cars actualy make boost at idle (or just past)!!!!!

the down side isit can kill turbos (think about the heat and presures involoved) and can crack manifold (for the same reasons).

andother way would be to set the ECU to advance timing while the turbo is spooling! this would require preety quick timing control and preferably active dept control. that way you could run right on the limit! then as the boost builds the timing can be brought back!

thanks Chris.

Quick Reply: I have an Idea to reduce turbo lag!!!!