Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

402/408 Plenum Volume for FI

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 402/408 Plenum Volume for FI

Still researching my 402/408 FI buildup. Anyone have any comments on plenum volume? I'd like to stick with a plastic LSx style manifold, however, I'm not sure if any variant will have enough volume to be optimal.

Any comments? The only thing I seem to have discovered is that intake volume isn't as important in an FI application as it is in an NA application.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street or race? The only problem with the stock style manifold in FI is the increase is air speed and volume. More air will be crammed into the back of the stock-style intake and cause your cylinders to go lean unless you tune well for that problem. However for a street application, the stock style intake has very good streetability and will help keep a touchy pedal..
Old 10-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Both, mostly race.

If such a phenomenon indeed exists, I don't understand how anyone could "tune" specifically for it. In addition, I don't understand how intake design can cause a (touchy) change in throttle response.

Can you elaborate on these points?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read a lot on the subject. Building a custom manifold. When it comes to FI plenum volume the general consensus is the bigger the better. Any stock style manifold with a bottom plenum and overhead runners limits the volume to only "so big". But they seem to make pretty serious power either way.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Launching!

So, any ideas on what my best bet would be? I'm seriously considering picking up a 6.0 intake, then I can test it and my stock LS6 and see which one works best where I need it to.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake
So, any ideas on what my best bet would be? I'm seriously considering picking up a 6.0 intake, then I can test it and my stock LS6 and see which one works best where I need it to.
6.0 truck intake has slightly longer runners... but a smaller plenum. More than anything it is just butt ugly.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Ah great, thanks for clearing that up. I think I'll post a link in the new "advanced" forum, maybe someone can help me there.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Perhaps if you added more information as to the combo you want to run and your goals you may receive a better response. "Moslty race" doesn't give us that much to go on.

Runners that tend to lean on like the rear cylinders on the LS engine in FI applications can be tuned with SEFI like the BS3 unit due to individual cylinder trims.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Runners that tend to lean on like the rear cylinders on the LS engine in FI applications can be tuned with SEFI like the BS3 unit due to individual cylinder trims.
Great, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I'll determine how applicable this situation is to my project and find the solution, I just needed to know what factors to consider. Much obliged.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

you could also use a carb style intake for better distribution I have a Victor Jr. waiting to go on my car
Old 10-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Yep, I was thinking of something along those lines... It's going to be a bit before I'm ready to build up the cold side, though, so I've got plenty of time to decide.

Quick Reply: 402/408 Plenum Volume for FI