Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lets talk MPH between SC'd and Turbo setups..

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lets talk MPH between SC'd and Turbo setups..

My 3.90's are happily installed and broken in. My Vortech S-Trim is on the living room floor waiting for Vortech to ship their C5 ABS bracket this week.

Finally got the LPE Walbro 340 installed!
Old 02-25-2003, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Shinobi's97:
<strong>I have never told anybody to let me build up boost before I take off at a light..I can spin my 335's throuh 4th gear</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The guy that made that comment was bad-mouthing turbos. S/Cs don't have that issue, especially with an A4 and a good convertor... But then again, neither do turbos with an A4 and a good convertor.

SC-
Old 02-25-2003, 04:22 PM
dug
Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Rpm2800:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by purevilss:
<strong> So if getting and keeping boost is the better world, why is ther not more roots type blown cars out there and little R&D on them?

Scott </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Roots blowers are not very effiecient compared to turbo or centrical(sp) blowers. They heat the air up alot. Plus depending on the power you want, a GOOD SIZE roots blower would not fit under many aftermarket hoods. Turbos, and centrifical blowers are more efficient.

Screw type blowers look like roots, but are more effecient, but still, a nice size unit would most likely stick through the hood.

Then you get into the throttle body issue. Draw through or not.......
Intercooler setup, for blowers like those is not as "simple" either. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Screw type superchargers are best you can get. They are more efficent than centrifugal superchargers while building boost quickly like the roots design. It would be interesting to see someone design a motor around a screw supercharger with custom intake and all.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as Roots 'chargers are concerned...

Anyone noticed the incredible numbers that are coming out of the Ford camp with inefficient old roots style chargers? 500/600???

They're bad to the bone with wild torque that the Centris just can't match.

Face it, centris are engineered with the worst qualities of every other FI design out there. They're just simpler to install and cheaper to build.

SC-

<small>[ February 26, 2003, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: SS00Blue ]</small>
Old 02-26-2003, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roots are better in the low to mid RPM's. Centris are better at the top end where we spend most of our time. Roots generate more heat as well and can't run as high boost levels as a Centri typically.

With a centrifugal you just have to find a way to deal with 1st gear being weak in the lower RPM's. Kinda like having too big of a cam. Gears or a TC can help that.