Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

stock compression and boost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock compression and boost?

How much boost can you get out of stock compression?
Old 02-15-2003, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: stock compression and boost?

I got the 12psi pulley with my 8psi kit and havent blown it up yet. But I would say 8 would be a good balance between power and reliability. That is with the proper tuning of course. I am dropping my boost this spring cuz it cant be very safe. I'll also get to use more of my RPMs then too.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

confusia say: 13 pound boost makum hole in piston with only 9.5:1 compression.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking to get 500 rwhp and calculated between 9 and 10 # boost. Is this doable on a stock engine? Does this sound about right?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 70 LS1:
<strong> I am looking to get 500 rwhp and calculated between 9 and 10 # boost. Is this doable on a stock engine? Does this sound about right? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sure it is, but the question will be how long will it last?. With the compression being as high as it is the motor will not last very long and you'll get a free pass to the rebuild club. Wouldnt be worth the risk to me.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:52 AM
Teching In

With the LS1 engine I would not recommend running more then 8 lbs of boost. At that level with an MN6 you should easily see 475 plus rwhp. If you want to go more boost, build the engine for it. The stock pistons just cant take that much cylinder pressure.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Remember, "boost" only refers to the air pressure built up in the intake manifold. It is NOT the sole factor in determining if your bottom end will hold up. For example, a heads/cam/headers car with 7PSI will be a lot more deadly than a bone stock LS1 with 9PSI. Also, aftercoolers and intercoolers can help cool the air charge and prevent detonation, allowing you to run more boost safely. You can’t just say that 7PSI is safer than 10PSI; you have to look at the air charge temperature, how well the engine flows air, cylinder pressure, and so on. So the short answer to your question "how much boost can you run on stock compression" is: it depends.

Quick Reply: stock compression and boost?