Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about Supercharger and H/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Supercharger and H/C

I am planning to add a Supercharger on top of my heads and cam with my heads milled at 10:8:1 compression. My cam is 220/220/112. I have heard people have installed supercharger on top of high compression heads. If I install a thicker head gasket such as cometic gaskets do you think I should be fine if do spirited driving ie. once in a while blasts on the streets. I hardly go to the track. Your thoughts and also any other suggestions I should do besides the thicker head gasket such as a new cam to help. If you think a milder/blower cam will also help with my high compression, which cam specs would you recommend. TIA!
Old 02-17-2003, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Question about Supercharger and H/C

Installing a blower ontop of an LS1 with 10.8:1 compression is probably not a great idea. You might want to check around with some of the more experienced members, but I understand that thicker head gaskets is not recommended either. The best way to lower compression is through bigger heads (i.e. 6.0L heads) or piston work. For our engines, the stock (10.1:1) compression is already pushing it. 9.5:1 would be even better, for say 10+ PSI. I don't think thicker head gaskests will drop you enough to be in the "safe" zone, and therefore you'll be severely limited in terms of how much boost you can run safely.

If you already have milled heads, why not consider a bigger cam (224 or 230, 112LSA) and using nitrous (125 - 150 shot). You'll go a lot faster than with a blower, given your high compression, and your motor will probably last longer, since you won't be on high compression AND boost all the time.

Quick Reply: Question about Supercharger and H/C