Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo gurus.... questions inside....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo gurus.... questions inside....

Looking for some inputs from single turbo LS1 owners. The car is a 99 WS6 that I am building a single turbo kit for. The projected set up is a T-76 (Ball bearing) @ 6 psi (stock bottom end - for now - bigger when it blows up!!), we're making our own log, IC, piping and exhaust. Current set up now prior to turbo: LS1 Edit, SY3500, Walbro 340 intank, TR224-114 cam, LS6 intake. Changes I know we need to make for the turbo: return style fuel system w/ boost ref reg, larger injectors, tuning.

Questions???

1. What is the better set up for the MAF - pull through or push through?
2. 30# injectors or 42#'s?
3. What type of PCV set-up? I currently have the stock PCV valve drawing through a catch can.
4. Any Edit tuning tips besides timing & fuel?
5. BOV prior to metered air?
6. Any noticible false knock issues? (I had a ton of false KR after cam install but now use a 'Knock-out' box - kinda risky when I go boosted.

Any helpful answers or insights would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Turbo gurus.... questions inside....

good luck with your set up, i'd love pics etc. of your progress
1 a pull through maf would keep any turbo oil from getting on the maf and messing with measurements.. but a blow through will give you a more accurate intake temp reading (unless you have that relocated) also if you are running a LOT of pressure you could blow apart one of the plastic maf's.
2 i would do 42's just because they really dont cost a significant amount more, and they will take you up to the limit of the rails and lines you have.
3 if your stock pcv setup is working now, it should work fine with the turbo, you just want to put an additional check valve after the pcv valve to not allow boost into the crankcase, then move the fresh air source from the throttle body to in front of the turbo.. if your pcv system sucks now, probably easiest to just remove it all and run breathers.
4 if you are running a boost/vaccum referenced regulator you can tune the whole injector flowrate by running one number across the board, the 42's are pretty easy to tune for, i run mine flat at 5.51 all the way across.. for turbo you want to pull timing as it approaches peak tq, and add it back in as you to to peak hp.
5 a bov is a good idea if say more than 5psi boost, remember if you have a blow through meter you can blow off to atmosphere if the bov is before the maf, but if you have a suck through maf, you need to send the air from the bov back to the intake track before the turbo like the ls1m kit does. if you dont then you will get a rich spike when you let off the gas as metered air exits the system.
6 i havent had any issues with false knock, you really want to make sure your knock system is in tip top shape, some even make it more agressive in edit for forced induction.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dave,

I agree 100% about making the knock tables more aggressive using EDIT.

I have the amount of timing pulled in the event of a knock occurence pushed WAY up in my race program. I also have the computer adding timing back in a lot more slowly then the stock program after knock is no longer being detected.

Scott
Old 02-19-2003, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any other opinions?

MightyMouse - Congrats on getting your LSM kit in. Thanks for your inputs.

Scott - Good luck in getting your car back this week. Let me know about the solid motor mount vibes.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

turbohawk? Reckless? Anyone else have some inputs?

Quick Reply: Turbo gurus.... questions inside....