Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

?? What are the 2 lines (boost,??)that run into a wastegate??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ?? What are the 2 lines (boost,??)that run into a wastegate??

I know the wastegate is boost and vacuum referenced but doesn't it see that from 1 line? Is 1 for boost and the other for vacuum? If that's the answer and I want it to only open under boost I should just be able to cap the vacuum referenced side,right? I'm trying to understand the mechanics of a wastegate to see if I can apply one to something I'm working on.
Thanks.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ?? What are the 2 lines (boost,??)that run into a wastegate??

you should only have one line (both boost and vacuum) to gthe wastegate. There might be another place to use one line but should only use one (the right one)
Unless you got some kind of funky wastegate.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

most all wastegates need a boost only signal to the side port ad vent the top port to atmosphere

this will give you boost pressure straight from the wastegate spring.

if you run a boost controller you put the second boost source on the top port and use a pressure regulator to add in boost above wastegate pressure as desired.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, only one is needed for straight wastegate operation. On a turbonetics deltagate, for example, there is a port on the side and a port on the top. The port on the side should see manifold pressure (boost). This pressure on the underside of the diaphram is what pushes the valve open. The other side of is to a vacuum source (lower than boost pressure). This feature lets the wastegate control boost under part throttle operation. Like if you are towing a trailer, the engine load - thus exhaust pressure, will be higher which spools the turbo harder. This can create boost at part throttle. That low pressure source assists the high pressure source on the otherside of the diaphram in opening the gate.

Unless someone has done something I haven't seen, it isn't used for a boost controller port. Most boost controllers bleed a portion of the pressure off to atmosphere before it gets to the wastegate..
Old 03-13-2003, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One port is for the boost controller. Electronic boost controller can do allot more than manual ones. Most learn the boost curve of your car and can adjust the opening and closing of the wastgate to optimize the boost curve. You can also adjust how fast the gate opens allowing for a smoother power curve. They also allow you to run higher boost than the spring pressure on the wastegate.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i have an hks wastegate

instructions
http://www.hksusa.com/FAQ/?id=1649

Quick Reply: ?? What are the 2 lines (boost,??)that run into a wastegate??