Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anyone interested in 500ci forced inducted...with reliability?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sleeves are actually pressed through the deck plate and the gasket seals the top of the cylinder from any liquids getting into the cylinder, and the gasket below the plate seals the coolant inside the engine. As for the strength of the system, the deck plate is doweled to the block and the sleeves locate it as well, go to their website if you like and see the 4 cyl running 8.80's I believe from a front drive! Believe me that takes a lot of boost and they have the same number of studs securing the whole thing together. I really have no problem with the design, it has been computer designed and had extensive simulation to make sure it was worth building. I also don't think Judson from S.A.M. would waste his money on the expensive rotating assembly unless he thought it would work.

-Bryan
Old 11-07-2005, 02:56 PM
SSU Moderator

What would be cool is if someone could modify the deck to accept the 2 extra studs that World uses with their heads and put those on there.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

hey Race-Prep.. need a GTO guinnea pig?
Old 11-07-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

How much oil is that thing gonna burn in a street car set up with a stroke like that?
Old 11-07-2005, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

i have a question....does World use a deck plate as well with their 9.8".because if they dont then wouldnt itd be a little better and stronger since its cast like that as opposed to bolting down an additional piece to raise the deck height?im not knocking it as i wanna see what id do on pump gas NA,but just curious.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Suspended Sponsor

As far as oil consumption is concerned, I don't see why you think it will burn oil due to the stroke? I have never had a stroker use an ounce of oil more than a standard stroke, Oil consumption is based on the cylinder hone entirely, not the stroke length. As far as the deckplate being stronger or weaker than the one piece World block, I think it is a tossup. I really don't think either has an advantage in that sense as the mechanical lock from the dowels and head bolts being enlarged to 1/2" should be VERY secure. Also, remember the ERL block design is a 10.2" deck not 9.8" which is a large margin.
-Bryan
Old 11-07-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Race-Prep
As far as oil consumption is concerned, I don't see why you think it will burn oil due to the stroke? I have never had a stroker use an ounce of oil more than a standard stroke, Oil consumption is based on the cylinder hone entirely, not the stroke length. As far as the deckplate being stronger or weaker than the one piece World block, I think it is a tossup. I really don't think either has an advantage in that sense as the mechanical lock from the dowels and head bolts being enlarged to 1/2" should be VERY secure. Also, remember the ERL block design is a 10.2" deck not 9.8" which is a large margin.
-Bryan
I thought the longer the stroke the more oil it burned. My 436 burned alot of oil until it got rebuilt and re-honed. So maybe I misunderstood. What you said makes more sense since it doesn't burn as much oil now since it was rehoned. But it does burn about 1 qt every 1,500 miles. My stock engine didn't burn any in 3,000 miles.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Stock ring packs are meant to keep oil consumption to a minimum, performance ring packs lean more towards power production and let a little get by due to their lower tension. Either way it should not be EVER any more than you currently have at 1qt to 1500 miles, that in itself is a bit high unless you have a drag race very low tension ring pack. If you would like to lower that usage, install a vacuum pump into the crankcase.

-Bryan
Old 11-08-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmmmmmm big cc in a samll package! its an old trick but still makes me smile! can't wait to see what sort of results you guys can get from it! any idea of what a "creat motor" might cost??????

thanks Chris.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

What will they do for the inlet manifolds? The heads will be further apart? Hmmm, I have a cunning plan

Boosted.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Suspended Sponsor

They will incliude a set of intake spacers and they end up being about 3/4" thick so they actually add runner volume and length to the intake track even further increasing torque production. E-mail us for pricing if you like.

-Bryan
Old 11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

any idea on the cost yet?
thanks
Old 11-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Teching In

That FWD that Race-Prep mentions uses ERL block and that car runs 52 psi and has never leaked a gasket. The car has been 8.46 @ 174.

I'm really interested in this LS block. I personally have owned a .550 raised deck ERL Honda motor and I can assure you that their machining is top notch. I'm not sure how this block is, but my deck plate was press fit and then held down by the other studs. Honda guys have made around 950whp from 2.2 liter raised deck setups with rather simple setups.

What type of market is there for this motor?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ddnspider
i have a question....does World use a deck plate as well with their 9.8".because if they dont then wouldnt itd be a little better and stronger since its cast like that as opposed to bolting down an additional piece to raise the deck height?im not knocking it as i wanna see what id do on pump gas NA,but just curious.
The World Products block does not use a deck plate system. I'm sure this ERL deck plate system is secure, but there is no doubt in my mind the WP block is a stronger at the deck since the deck is not mechanicaly attached with fasteners and more importantly, the entire WP block has been heavily reenforced throughout the entire casting, not just at the deck. I'm not saying the ERL product is bad, but it's still built off a standard LSx GM alloy block where the WP block is an entirely new casting built with strength and max performance in mind. There's about 30 lbs. of extra aluminum in the WP block which is all added reenforcement thoughout, the 6 bolts/cylinder, priority oiling, etc... are other big benefits which are icing on the cake IMO.

Either way, it's good to see innovative products hit the market.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

would that thing fit into the f-bod engine bay fairly easy? or would there need to be alittle hammering and modding done to the firewall.

oh yeah what about the accessories? would everything fit right up with just alittle bigger belt?

kick *** motor in my book.

Quick Reply: anyone interested in 500ci forced inducted...with reliability?!