Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Which would you put on your car?
Procharger
43.77%
Turbo Charge It!
56.23%
Voters: 626. You may not vote on this poll

Procharger Vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'm thinking just about anything I'm going to put on my car is going to have lag somewhere... But I'm probably just going to end up going with the Pro, I've pretty much made up my mind now. Thanks guy
Old 11-18-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm up for the first ride after the install, that thing is gonna be nasty.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had some personal experience with turbos and supers.
Had turbo yamaha 650 seca and had a few turbo awd talons.Still have a 97 that am doing up big time crazy.
Have buddy that had procharger on his lt1 and another buddy has sts on his lt1. Guys in our local club have some prochargers,one on his lt1 and one on his ls1. No front mount ls1 or lt1 kits around here though.
And can tell you both turbos and supers work and work well.
On the track the prochargers can turn excellent numbers as can the turbo cars. Its true for manual cars that to get turbos to launch you really need a two step limiter setup.For auto turbo cars you pretty much need a stall converter.
The turbos will have a bit of lag ,how much depends on lots of things like how big an engine,how big the turbo is..etc.
Lag can be a good thing as it can make it easier to get off the line without blowing the tires off completely. Buddies auto sts lags off the line but hardly spins but quickly makes up the time after it spools up which is at around 3000 or so.The sts works fantastic also and is a pretty easy install.I have raced his sts lt1 with my lt1 while I smoked him off the line he easily ran me down and beat me at only 5 psi.
The prochargers have no lag but they do not make full power at the same rpm as a turbo.They are not as fast on the street as track in roll on situations usually but you can downshift to compensate a bit for that. Still turbo can put out full boost at 3000 or so and hold it till redline. The prochargers make more and more boost as rpm goes up.This can also be good for traction on street though as it was mentioned monster midrange of the turbos can easily blow off even the best tires.
I dont' think turbos are much more complicated than supers once installed. No belts on turbos to slip.You do have to run oil and sometimes water lines to them though.Procharger is self contained for oil but does have the belt.
Tuning is supposedly harder with turbos but can't see it personally.Zillion of cars factory have come with turbos. I think turbos also do give better fuel mileage and have the potential to make more power and torque at lower rpms than a centrifical super.The roots style do bring in more boost sooner in the rpm band and supposedly sooner or later we might have that option on our f bodies.
I love all the power adders..spray,supers,turbos..all work well and do the job.I think you would be happy with an ati,sts or other front mount. Agree that front mount companies seem to come and go.I think right now am leaning to a TTS setup personally in my 99 ta.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

You summed up the power adder aftermarket right there, didn't you.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeeeeeeeeeeeea,....i am almost positive that the procharger has it's boost from idle till redline.... thats why its harder to launch them without settin the tires in smoke...
Old 11-19-2005, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

MY99... after that, I think I understand what the hell is going on :-p
Old 11-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
yeeeeeeeeeeeea,....i am almost positive that the procharger has it's boost from idle till redline.... thats why its harder to launch them without settin the tires in smoke...
Prochargers don't go into boost until you go WOT. It's builds up to peak at redline.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I had to do it over again.......Turbo
Old 11-26-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Procharger, and it had WAY too many problems. Leaky head unit, leaky pipes, shitty intercoolers, belts falling off, shedding. I sold the Procharger to go with a turbo kit, but got a good deal on a new motor instead. If I were to do it again, I would go with a turbo anyday.

With the Procharger, there are many hidden costs that you don't know about until you run into problems. First off, you will want to upgrade to the SDCE 8-rib kit, because the 6-rib sucks. I could only squeeze 408rwhp from the 6-rib. The SDCE kit is close to $700. The intercoolers suck. They dont flow very well at all. Most people end up getting a FMIC kit instead, which ranges from $500 if you do it yourself to $1000 for a kit. There are many more additional costs too. Knowing what I know now, I would definitly get a turbo kit before a Procharger. Many companies are making the LS1 turbo kit these days. They are getting cheaper and more affordable, and come 95% complete, ready to install.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by boosted99camaro
I just sold my sts turbo kit and got a procharger dsc1 so ill let you know.
turbos are fun but if you have a manual they came be a pain to launch.
and if you go turbo id go with a front mount.

You will have the same launching issues with a D1SC too.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

New for '05 are 1" thicker intercoolers that come standard with the D-1SC, as is the eight rib belt assembly. We haven't seen any problems with the eight rib units until you get up to 14 psi, and the larger intercoolers do a great job of keeping inlet air temps down. Bob
Old 11-28-2005, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rynofasho
You will have the same launching issues with a D1SC too.
ya but now my issue is traction not lag.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
New for '05 are 1" thicker intercoolers that come standard with the D-1SC, as is the eight rib belt assembly. We haven't seen any problems with the eight rib units until you get up to 14 psi, and the larger intercoolers do a great job of keeping inlet air temps down. Bob

Those new IC's, will they fit the LT1's as well or is this just for the LS1 guys?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Launching!

I have the sts turbo and have never had so much fun, as allen nelson tuned with hp tuners and this thing rocks. Turbo all the way.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by SRZ
Those new IC's, will they fit the LT1's as well or is this just for the LS1 guys?
I don't see why the intercoolers would not work, but the plumbing routing to them would have to be fabbed up, as it is different than what is used on the LS1's. Bob
Old 12-07-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

You can get a lot of power out of a D1SC and still have a waranty.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I don't see why the intercoolers would not work, but the plumbing routing to them would have to be fabbed up, as it is different than what is used on the LS1's. Bob
Only reason I asked is because another member was told by ATI that they won't fit and only would fit in the LS1's since there is more room down there. Allegedly ATI tech reps are know for incorrect answers but who knows? I'm 15hrs ahead so I can't call and verify but thank you for answering my question.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

What are the best and most reliable Turbo companies right now?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Superchargers are cool but turbo's are more fun and the cool factor goes way up. Superchargers sound like the nanny and whine all through the rpm band (I hate the sound of 03+ Cobra's). Turbo's on the other hand are quiet. They whoosshhhhhh through the rpm band and then you shift and pssttsshhhh.... I could listen to it all day. I love riding next to somebody with their window down and seeing the look on their face when they hear the BOV- priceless. And whatever guy said the Procharger will get you more attention is full of crap. As far as which is better or more expensive, they are close to the same. Super = belt driven/lose hp, Turbo = exhaust driven/no loss in hp. Both need supporting mods: fuel systems, injectors and pump, clutch, rear, whatever. Both could use fuel and boost gauges. Only difference really is turbo needs a 2-step on a manual to get off the line and IF THAT won't get you any attention then the track is empty.
Email me and I'll give you some video's to change your mind.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by SRZ
Only reason I asked is because another member was told by ATI that they won't fit and only would fit in the LS1's since there is more room down there. Allegedly ATI tech reps are know for incorrect answers but who knows? I'm 15hrs ahead so I can't call and verify but thank you for answering my question.
I talked to a Tech at ATI also about installing the larger 4.5" intercoolers on the LT1 cars, and he didn't see a problem with the intercoolers either, just the plumbing to them. We looked at my brother's 95 Formula,http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=7 and it looks like it would be tight. Bob

Quick Reply: Procharger Vs. Turbo