Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS with long tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenBlood55
Ok, here is a brain teaser for you... I currently have BBK Longtubes, and the BBK Y pipe going into the factory SLP catback and have the SLP CME exhaust...

Now, I just purchased a STS Rear Mount Turbo Kit.

Educate me on what I need to do to

1. Keep my long tubes
2. Keep my CME
The majority will tell you to sell the longtubes and ypipe and get your self your stock stuff back on. Genraly this is a very good idea for heat retention and spool.

if you want to keep your LT's your gonna need to wrap as much of it as you can. i managed to wrap mine almost half way up the primarys. I myself am keeping my headers on. im alsogetting a 226+ larger cam later so im going to test how this will work with a better cam later. with stock manifolds, i feel they will limit a larger cams power potential.

The 3" ypipe has GOT TO GO lol for one its eating up precious under car space and eating up precious heat and spool up. even wrapped its just too large and is limited your heat and pressure. turst me, i know. Im in the process of waiting for an SLP ypipe to replace my 3" ORY.

Your Ipipe is fine

the CME will have to take some inovation if you wanna keep the tips in their stock location. possible, but your gonna have to carfully explain to the to the weld shop what you want. trust me, even with my normal STS layout, they couldnt understand why the turbo was in the back lol

or if you do it yourself, order every bend and pipe you think you think you may need and do a rough fab.
I think its very doable.
instead of a traditional f-body routing where they go out to their respective outlets, they will instead just route to your CME tips. the left from the wastegate around and to the left side fo the CME, and then the Turbo turbine outlet around and to the right side of the CME tips. its might be a tight fit, but i think its totally doable.

after that,wrap form the headers all the way to the turbo.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks buddy!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ahhhhh 1 Question though... The Y pipe with the BBK system is actually 2.5" NOT 3". Will that change things?!?!?
Old 08-24-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

oh, well in that case just keep the ypipe then. its stainless right? if you want to do it the easy way, keep the headers and y and wrap the crap out of them. then just make sure you dont have any leaks, youll be amazed how much boost you loose out of small unforseen exhaust leaks. imve been fighten leaks on my ypipe since my install. i got an SLP ypipe thats 2.5"s and its stainless steel so it will last awhile.
question for you, what are the collectors on the headers? if they are also 2.5", id keep them for ease of install, but if spool is an issue, then get your original maniolds.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Collectors are 1 3/4. Going into to a 2.5 Y and then into a 2.5 SLP I pipe.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

toss the slp box. splice the turbo in its spot. wrap any exhaust from the collectors to the turbo. vent the wg to atmo. dump the downpipe with a short elbow. hang the cme tips as dummies.
or
build a y to feed back to connect the down pipe to thr cme tips to b functional.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NemeSS
toss the slp box. splice the turbo in its spot. wrap any exhaust from the collectors to the turbo. vent the wg to atmo. dump the downpipe with a short elbow. hang the cme tips as dummies.
or
build a y to feed back to connect the down pipe to thr cme tips to b functional.
pretty much lol
Old 08-26-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

By box, I assume you mean muffler?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

lol im guessing as well which you have to to put the turbo in its place. if you dont want such a loud turboish exhuast note, you can have a resonator right after it like i did. I got a 3" OBX resonator (thinking i might go 4" later though) right off it. IT looks good and is really simple to have added post turbo.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

When I had the sts kit at first I was running Lt headers off road y pipe and 3inch pipe to the turbo it got full spool at around 4500 but then switched back to manifolds a bassani 2.5" off road y pipe and a 2.5" pipe to the turbo wrapping it all with header wrap I want to say 3800 full spool for 10psi if I remember correctly on the rpm areas. But the car was a totally different animal when getting rid of the headers and keep in the heat/ pressure to the turbo

Quick Reply: STS with long tube headers?